Capcom tried to kill female employee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capcom tried to kill female employee

Well, they bullied her until she tried to kill herself, but I prefer my DailyMail grabbing headline.

Source:
    In 2009, a twenty-something female joined Osaka-based game developer Capcom. The new employee was assigned to a couple of different games before becoming a member of the team developing Dragon's Dogma, Capcom's upcoming big budget title.

In 2009, a twenty-something female joined Osaka-based game developer Capcom.

At first things were good. But by that December, things got awful—really awful. The new employee apparently felt so bullied at Capcom that she tried to take her own life.

A senior female employee made the young woman's life miserable. Her new boss reprimanded only her at meetings and assigned the young woman impossible tasks with zero instructions on how to complete them.

Her boss said, "Even if the database is a success, you are worthless to the team."

Two other superiors began attempting to get the young employee to quit, saying "she's problematic", "she abandons her work", "she skips meetings", and "her ideas stink". It got so bad that the young employee supposedly went to Capcom's HR claiming harassment. HR did nothing.

On December 10, the young employee took time off of work. She was depressed and dejected, and she took a large quantity of sleeping pills, antidepressants, and cold medicine in hopes of killing herself.

Even after her mental and physical health improved and even after she finished rehabilitation, there were those at Capcom who did everything possible to make sure she couldn't work, by insisting she had not recovered, suspending her, and ultimately dismissing the employee.
    Last edited by Sketcz; 18-05-2012, 18:14.

edited slightly
    Last edited by Sketcz; 18-05-2012, 18:14.

Comment

What is this I dont even

Comment

Capcom bullied one of their staff and she tried to kill herself. I know the meme you're referencing, what I don't understand is the part that you don't understand?

Comment

What I don't understand is why this blatant act of sensationalism has any place on a game forum, because the parent company happen to make games? At most, a handful of individual human beings were dicks to a single employee, yet you cast the blame on Capcom in its entirety. You're bound to find similar situations in any company with such a high number of employees. The way you're generalizing here is simply appalling. This sort of narrow-minded conjecture is something I despise.

Comment

I agree with you Alex but technicaly what Sketcz has wirtten is correct.

Its my understanding that Capcom are legally responsible here as is any other employer when a bullying and harrassment claim is made against her employer which is Capcom in this case.

Lets keep it civil guys please, its Friday after all

Comment

I love Sketcz threads.

Comment

could be worse....could be dlc on disc

Comment

What kind of person tries to kill himself/herself because of bullying at a workplace? Ever heard about quitting? Or is this a Japanese thing, rather kill yourself than quit a job and live with the shame?

Comment

From the view on the front page of the forum I though this was about our very own Capcom_Suicide.

I bet he didn't think that user name would ever be topical again!

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                      could be worse....could be dlc on disc

Guts: It could be a combo of a japanese thing and pre-existing mental health condition which has been aggrevated by the bullying.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                        What I don't understand is why this blatant act of sensationalism has any place on a game forum, because the parent company happen to make games? At most, a handful of individual human beings were dicks to a single employee, yet you cast the blame on Capcom in its entirety. You're bound to find similar situations in any company with such a high number of employees. The way you're generalizing here is simply appalling. This sort of narrow-minded conjecture is something I despise.
                        Spot on agree with this, happens everywhere and is hardly the crime of the century to warrant boycotting the company or anything like that. If I bought games based on whether or not I liked all the staff at the companies that made them I would probably end up never buying a game again.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                          What I don't understand is why this has any place on a game forum, because the parent company happen to make games?
                          Yes, precisely. We all buy Capcom games, therefore we're supporting a company that tolerates or perhaps even condones such behaviour. This is absolutely the right place to talk about Capcom's policy towards staff and bullying.

It's not like I made a news thread about Coca Cola bullying staff. I don't drink coke and I wouldn't give a rat's ass. This is a gaming forum, a gaming company is behaving abhorrently, this is absolutely the place to discuss it.

Comment

"Scketz tries to kill forum credibility!!111!!!"

Comment

Elements of a company, not the whole company. We're also taking a very one sided view to all this, maybe she was just really bad at her job.

Comment

Working...
                              X