No announcement yet.

24 Hour charity race - Digital Gathering raises money for children's hospice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 Hour charity race - Digital Gathering raises money for children's hospice

Nigel at Digital Gathering is doing a 24 hour race in GT5, raising money for a childrens' hospice on his son's behalf. 2 drivers will do 2X 6 hour stints! Hardcore.

Originally posted by DG
    In honour of my son Callum and for those great people at Ty Hafan

Callum suffered from a rare genetic disorder called Tay Sachs disease. Callum was unlucky from the get go really and had an aggressive form of Tay Sachs, we as a family were in turmoil and with out the care and support of Ty Hafan Childrens hospice for terminally ill children we wouldn’t have had as much quality time as we had to just love care for our son Callum if it wasn’t for the care and attention to detail Ty Hafan provided. When our son passed away at Ty Hafan, I thought I would never return but wanted to show my support some how sometime. That time is now and DG will do yearly events based on gaming events for Ty Hafan.

Tay Sachs Explained

Tay-Sachs disease occurs when the body lacks hexosaminidase A, a protein that helps break down a chemical found in nerve tissue called gangliosides. Without this protein, gangliosides, particularly ganglioside GM2, build up in cells, especially nerve cells in the brain.

Tay-Sachs disease is caused by a defective gene on chromosome 15. When both parents carry the defective Tay-Sachs gene, a child has a 25% chance of developing the disease. The child must receive two copies of the defective gene -- one from each parent -- in order to become sick. If only one parent passes the defective gene to the child, the child is called a carrier. He or she won't be sick, but will have the potential to pass the disease to his or her own children.

Children with this disease have symptoms that get worse over time. They usually die by age 4 or 5.
    If you wish to make a donation, click here. They have a number of high profile sponsors, so if you wish to help out in a similar way, go ahead and contact Nigel.

More info
    Last edited by charlesr; 23-05-2012, 09:59.

Thanks charles, if anyone does donate please use this thread, so i can personally thank you. And charles thanks for this mate so much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
    X