No announcement yet.

Cyberpunk 2077

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm waiting for the inevitable SNES port now that the SNES can do ray tracing:

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      They haven't said.

I wouldn't expect RTX-levels of shiny, either. It'll be your typical 30fps with basic ray-tracing and 60fps with no RT.
      Thanks Dave, do you think it would be worth actually waiting for it then? I don't have a decent PC and it will be a cold day in Hell before I play it on Stadia...

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
        Thanks Dave, do you think it would be worth actually waiting for it then? I don't have a decent PC and it will be a cold day in Hell before I play it on Stadia...
        Dave's just hanging dong because he's got his new 3080

The PS5 version def won't have the same graphics or performance as the PC version running on a machine with that kind of horsepower, but it should* offer a significant boost over the PS4 backwards compatibility version that PS5 has right now.

TBH I think a dedicated PS5 version is definitely worth waiting for, not only because it will be better optimised for the PS5 hardware, but also because my hope would be that it would also include myriad other fixes and improvements which the game clearly needs.

PC might not have the same performance issues as console, but judging by what I've seen on r/Cyberpunk on Reddit, it still has all the other problems like disappointing AI, poor vehicle handling, and general bugginess. The skill trees could also use a fair bit of work from the looks of it.

*and that's the operative word here, considering how unfinished the game still is

Comment

You can hopefully expect any dedicated PS5 enhancements to include adding a Quality/Performance option like in the Series X version and all the dynamic scaling you would hope would be optimised more so it's not hitting such low counts to keep a steady frame rate.

I think both the PS5/XSX versions look pretty good right now, even though CDPR really need to fix HDR first and foremost as it seems to be really messing with the overall fidelity. Even the Series S version is decent, so the sooner they optimise for these platforms the better.

Unfortunately with everything going on with the PS4/XBO performance I wouldn't expect at next gen specific upgrades any time soon. The best we can hope for is they work on getting it performing better on base consoles and by proxy that might improve things a little bit for backward compatibility overall.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
            I certainly wouldn't play it now. Let them try fixing and patching the fundamentals, first. It'll still look amazing eventually without RTX.

Comment

Gotta be honest, with Ray tracing I generally need to be told what I'm supposed to look at in order to tell ray tracing from not ray tracing. i doubt I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                I'm waiting for the inevitable SNES port now that the SNES can do ray tracing:
                Don't forget, you can do Ray tracing on the XBox 360:

Comment

^ Hehe. But what actually is a ray tracing and why should folk be excited about it? Sorry, I'm not up on techie matters and I thought we already had lighting and stuff in games.
                  Last edited by Golgo; 16-12-2020, 16:14.

Comment

I remember ray tracing being on the cover of ST Format 30 years ago. I think it mainly involves shiny, reflective metal-looking balls hovering checkerboard landscapes.

Comment

Yeah I'm pretty sure Bill Budge's Pinball Construction set had it.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                        ^ Hehe. But what actually is a ray tracing and why should folk be excited about it? Sorry, I'm not up on techie matters and I thought we already had lighting and stuff in games.
                        What we have is approximation of lighting in games - ray tracing is a more lifelike way of rendering shadow and light. Ray tracing isn't new, but it's compute expensive, so until recently the GPU power hasn't been there to be able to do this in realtime - see Digital Foundry's video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKV5_BpxjM

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          What we have is approximation of lighting in games - ray tracing is a more lifelike way of rendering shadow and light. Ray tracing isn't new, but it's compute expensive, so until recently the GPU power hasn't been there to be able to do this in realtime - see Digital Foundry's video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKV5_BpxjM
                          Thanks, I understand that a lot better now. It was really helpful to see it compared in close-up to current light/shadow techniques, which do look quite poor in comparison. Imagine this could be fabulous in slow moving atmospheric games like survival horrors, maybe not so noticeable in fast-moving shooters. Interestingly, though, the dude said that even the new gen of consoles are simply not powerful enough to be able to achieve full ray tracing, but are only likely to achieve it partially with the assistance of some canny dodges and witchcraft.

Apologies, everyone, for derailing the Cyberpunk thread. orz

Comment

Ray Tracing makes every game better!

Like Golgo, I'm not really sure what ray tracing is and I guarantee a load of people moaning about it in 2077 don't know either.

Comment

Its just, like, reflections based on maths rather than texture swaps. I am quite cynical but I have said on here before that all it will do is encourage wet, shiny game worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                                Its just, like, reflections based on maths rather than texture swaps. I am quite cynical but I have said on here before that all it will do is encourage wet, shiny game worlds.
                                No, it also provides much more natural and hyper-realistic lighting ambience. When light is bouncing around a scene with total accuracy it just ticks all the same boxes as looking at something in real life. It's thoroughly immersive, more so when you're in control of the camera or viewpoint. I feel like I'm peering into another world or some kind of model city inside my monitor when I'm on this. At times it's more immersive than VR.

Comment

Working...
                                X