What happened to Retro Studios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to Retro Studios?

Did i miss something or are they not confirmed as working on any games at the moment?

Some speculated that they were working on Eternal Darkness a few months back (due to a twitter post) but i have a feeling the no show of Mario Kart for Wii-U at E3 is maybe a hint that they are working on it. They did a great job with the track design for Mario Kart 3DS and we all know Nintendo likes to trot a MArio Kart game not long after launch of a new console.

Did they develop MK7? Looking at the wiki it looks like most of the design was done in house and Nintendo.

'They helped develop
    Mario Kart 7 for the Nintendo 3DS along with Nintendo EAD by contributing assets for the Donkey Kong tracks within the game.'

On further research it looks like they ported the retro tracks to MK7.

Still, I do like Retro Studios very much.

Comment

They're working on a game for Wii U. Not ready to be shown yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
        They're working on a game for Wii U. Not ready to be shown yet.
        I really hope its another DK platformer.....dkc returns was one of my favourite wii games.

Of course a HD metroid prime would be fine too.

Comment

They did the same thing after Metroid Prime 3. Seemed to disappear off the face of the earth until they popped up with DKCR.

Comment

I'd love it to be Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 taking inspiration from Diddy Kong's Quest.

Comment

It is also weird that Donky Kong 3D did not appear since Gamestop already had the dummy boxes on display.

Funny you should mention DKCR i just started playing it again after playing the first world on Release day and putting it to one side. Now upto the Caves and the difficulty is starting to kick in. I just love the nice little touches that make this game. Retro really have become one of the permier dev teams for Nintendo.

As for Mario Kart as well as creating the retro courses they also designed at least 1 of the main courses. It would be great if Nintendo said to them we want you to make a Mario Kart game with your stamp on it do what you like. I think they would come up with a very cool game that would push Mario Kart on that little bit. Not sure if they would be able to but what about a new Diddy Kong Racing game?

Comment

I'd quite like it if they were working on a new F-Zero, I think they'd make a good job of it though a return to Metroid is my guess. Whatever it is, it won't be Zelda.

Comment

Working...
                X