Anyone modded a SNES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone modded a SNES?

I shorted pin 4 on the lockout chip to pin 9 (ground) on the same IC and blew the fuse. I by-passed the fuse through, but it still won't power up when pin 4 goes to ground.

Once I remove the short on the lockout chip the SNES powers up perfectly. Anyone else seen this? I don't have any needles kicking about or I'd just leave pin 4 floating, as I hear that works too.

I think you need bend the pin out then ground it as opposed to just shorting. I know shorting it should probably work but desoldering and bending up the pin works every time.

Comment

Cool mate, I'll do that now. I managed to push the pin to one side with the iron then lift it with the tip of a screw! It ran my mint Jap copy of SFII perfectly.

I'll now re-attach it to pin 9 and see what happens.

Does this mean my Jap copy of SFII is running at full speed? I didn't notice a huge leap from my PAL copy.

Comment

if it works floating leave it floating. Grounding isn't really necessary unless the model you have kicks up a stink about it.

I'd suggest adding a switch.

As for the speed thing... it's a whole other mod to make a pal system run at 60Hz.

Comment

Cool, I grounded it anyway just incase any new games I get have a fit. I'll get a switch for the 60Hz mod, but I always thought it was to force 50hz games to run at 60.

Surely I could just forget about a switch and make all my PAL games run at 60Hz? Only PAL games I have and want to keep are Mario World and All Stars.

Comment

Some of the later titles checked what Hz the machine was at before starting and I think allstars is one of them so hardwiring your machine to run at 60Hz only's not a good idea.

I've also been told that some games can detect that the region chip is disabled and refuse to run but I've never seen it.

I modded my NTSC US machine to play pal titles and added the 50Hz mode for completeness but I've only got 3 pal games so I leave it disabled most of the time.

Comment

I actually found a pal game that won't boot with the the territory switch disabled, Kirby's Fun Pack (don't laugh, it's actually very good!!).

Pete

Comment

*snigger*

Seriously though, thanks for adding that. I've never been able to come up with an example when people ask about it.

Out of interest is Kirby's Fun Pack worth looking out for? I'm a bit of a SNES/SFC collector.

Comment

I love it for some reason, when it was released we played it for ages, when I dug it out the other day I kept playing "Megaton Punch" minigame, spent ages on it and didn't get a chance to play any of the other 7 games - I would need to re-visit to see how good they are.

Check out some of the reviews on gamefaqs, people on there seem to like it. There's even some on lovely ebay!!

Let us know if you get it, whether you like it or not, and if it does/doesn't work with the chip disabled.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X