New TVs offer game streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New TVs offer game streaming

Don't know how we missed this (or if people just ignored it?), but at E3 both Samsung and LG unveiled upcoming game streaming solutions for their Smart TVs. Samsung is partnering with Gaikai, while LG delivers both Gaikai and OnLive on their tvs. While the service probably won't be much different to how it currently works, the hugely expanded availability could have a huge impact on their market penetration.

Another dent in the feasibility of future dedicated gaming consoles, or a service that will only appeal to a small demographic?

Full article with pics and video: http://flatpanelshd.com/news.php?sub...&id=1340278028

I tried out Gaikai (on a PC) and was very impressed.

Trouble is, it uses AVC to encode the video on the server side and send it to the client. Video compression works on the basis of analysing motion and calculating the redundancies. But since it's interactive, it has basically no idea what the motion in the next frame is going to be, and buffering too many frames would make horrible input lag. So compression artefacts are inevitable; I'd still rather play on a console.

I also doubt it's going to be suitable for FPS gaming where input lag can be a killer. Strategy games, sure...

But a hell of a lot better than the lame game apps on current Smart TVs? Absolutely.

Comment

Arent Gaikai reportedly up for sale at the moment?

Comment

Cool! I just watched the Gaikai video on that page and SF4 looks as speedy as it would be so hopfully lag wont be an issue. What really impressed though was the fact that you can connect prob any USB pad or even bluetooth wireless pad.

So maybe 360 wired pads, Fightsticks will work? Im due a new TV this year, looks like ill hold out.

Comment

It's a natural direction for TV companies to move in so not too surprised by this. It'll be interesting to see how well they have it running on the TV. There's probably a small portion of peeps who would use it though I'd probably use it as often as I use internet on my Blu-Ray player (not at all).

Comment

Working...
          X