Americanised Dialogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Americanised Dialogue

I've just bought Final Fantasy: Tactics for the GBA and the translation is really appaling. Everybody talks like a 12 year old yank. It's all "Gee whizz this" and "I guess, that".

Even Shinobi speaks like Solid Snake these days.

Where does it all end I ask you?

Shouldn't that be 'Americanized'?

Comment

Gee whiz and that kinda thing can get annoying, but surely you'd prefer that to everyone talking like good old British/pommy (I think that's the right term) mateys? The dialogue'd probably seem sorta rigid without these colloquialisms.

Comment

Originally posted by yashiro
        Shouldn't that be 'Americanized'?
        Shouldn't this be in Gaming Discussion?

I got this yesterday as well, and it's bretty bad for this, even though most FF games have fairly decent dialogue (well, except FFX).

Comment

Luigi's Mansion is probably the least Americanized translation I've ever seen. Really well written and he says things like "pretty penny" and "bugger" (god know how that got through!) when you examine various items.

Comment

ha, there's quite a few Nintendo games where characters say "bugger", Animal Crossing, Cubivore...obviously we all cracked up laughing, but the translation from the Japanese is of the 'oh, darn it' version of bugger--not the, er....*cough* bum rape version *cough*

ahem

Comment

The Noo Yawk style voices in Rayman mdemestop playing after about a day. He made such quality noises in the DC version I was appalled at what they had done to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoraths mullet
                The Noo Yawk style voices in Rayman mdemestop playing after about a day. He made such quality noises in the DC version I was appalled at what they had done to him.
                I must admit I'm sometimes put off by over the top American accents in games as well. I actually like it in things like Shenmue or even the Sonic Adventure games because they sounded like really cheesy anime dubs, but Jak and Daxter? Bleargh, their cocky American wisecracks just get on my nerves.

Doshin The Giant was an interesting one. Because NOA passed on it, all the voice-overs are British. It was funny to hear at first. Conker has a nice mix of British and American speaking characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh! My Car!
                  ha, there's quite a few Nintendo games where characters say "bugger", Animal Crossing ...
                  Heh, yeah - I think the Americans have forgotten what it really means ...

S.

Comment

One Americanizm that I just found out about is rather depressing. It's that wonderful mis-translation (or so I thought) in Animal Crossing when they say "my bad". Turns out it's an American expression. Well that's the magic gone from that then...

Comment

Originally posted by iloveannie
                      One Americanizm that I just found out about is rather depressing. It's that wonderful mis-translation (or so I thought) in Animal Crossing when they say "my bad". Turns out it's an American expression. Well that's the magic gone from that then...
                      They say that all the time in Buffy The Vampire Slayer and it really does my head in.

Comment

PAL Metroid Prime's inconsistent and sparsely used and jarring american voiceovers. Which weren't even present in the NTSC american version.

I mean, what was the ****ing point. I had to wait an extra 5 to 6 months for a few extra lines of dialogue, in a game that didn't actually have any use for it. Yeah, nice to rub salt in the wound.

Comment

Ape Escape 2 had a cracking localisation by SCEE after SCEA passed on it. But for some reason Ubisoft after picking up the rights for the US release decided to change the voices into American.

Comment

I find Rayman 3's voiceovers quite annoying too. Not because they're American... I mean if that annoys you you must have a hard time with any form of entertainment - but because of the content and mainly the total overuse of them. They seem to want to milk the celebrity actors they've hired to limit and I just wind up turning the voices off entirely.

Originally posted by gossi the dog
                            Ape Escape 2 had a cracking localisation by SCEE after SCEA passed on it. But for some reason Ubisoft after picking up the rights for the US release decided to change the voices into American.
                            Because in America it'd probably seem weird and/or funny even at parts where it wouldn't mean to be.

Comment

Even more annoying is the relentless spelling of 'color' and other such travesties. So, you can code in all the EU languages, but can't be arsed to run a quick spell check through the US dialogue? And we still have to wait?

Comment

Working...
                              X