Favourite game hooks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite game hooks.

I don't know exactly what a game hook is. I guess just a clever idea that makes you think tactically in a game - something that makes you assess the potential risks and rewards of whatever you're about to do.

Not a definitive list of my faves, just the first few that popped into my mind when I started the thread.

Smart Bomb (First seen: Defender, 1980). Blowing up stuff is good. The best thing about the smart bomb is that you're always given a limited amount, and that it's always pretty hard to get extras. Just having a limit on the amount of bombs you have makes you think about when best to use them - to get you out of a tight spot or to wait until the screen is flooded with enemies for optimum carnage. In Defender it was cool that you had little guys to save that weren't hurt by the blast. Now that's a smart bomb. The ultimate form of the smart bomb appeared in BangaiO.

Power Pellet (Pac Man). Pac Man is completely helpless. He's just a yellow blob with a mouth. He is at the mercy of the ghosts, who kill him if they so much as touch him. But when he collects a power pellet, they're scared ****less of him. They run away on their little ghost legs. That's because when he's powered up, he can eat ghosts for a limited amount of time. EAT GHOSTS. No wonder they're afraid. When Pac Man eats a ghost he gets points. When he eats a second ghost, he gets even more points than he got for the first ghost. I like power pellets because they're all about Pac Man regaining his dignity and sticking it to the ghostly opressors. And it's conclusive proof that sometimes winners do use drugs, and that sometimes drug use is even essential for victory.

Egg Pool (Yoshi's Island, 1995). This isn't so much one hook as it is a whole bunch of interconnected hooks. This is a good one because I get to talk about Yoshi's Island, and that rocks. In Yoshi's Island you eat baddies and they turn into eggs. You can throw the eggs at different angles via a cursor that goes up and down when you press the 'throw' button. Wherever the cursor is in relation to Yoshi is the direction the annoying dinosaur throws the egg. You throw eggs to kills baddies/hit switches/whatever. The trick is that if you angle the throw right, you can bounce the eggs off solid objects. Whenever an egg hits a wall, it changes colour. If you angle an egg so it rebounds off a wall, changes colour to yellow, and hits a guy - the egg explodes into two coins. Coins you collect to get extra lives - like any Mario game. If you angle it so it bounces twice before hitting a guy, it changes colour to red and explodes into two stars. You collect stars to increase the amount of seconds Yoshi can survive without having Baby Mario on his back. Because Yoshi doesn't die right away when he gets hit by a baddie - Mario just falls off and floats around in a bubble while a timer ticks down. You have to get him back before it gets to zero.
    None of this makes the slightest bit of sense, and that's why Yoshi's Island is awesome.

I'll list more when I feel like it. Please feel free to add your own.

Halo - 2 weapon slot. Rechargeable flashlight. Selection of vehicles at certain points.
    Goldeneye - Sniper rifle with zoomable scope. Alarms. Decent AI. Stealth now possible, but not necessary.
    Super Mario Sunshine - the whole water backpack thing.
    Lots more, but can't be bothered.

Comment

The examples you gave are totally, totally right based on the way I described what I meant. But 'water pack', 'decent AI', 'sniper scope' and 'vehicles' weren't what I had in mind. I'm sorry, I should have been way clearer. If possible I'd also prefer them to be the original appearances of the hooks. Vehicles, sniper scopes, stealth, limited number of weapons and rechargeable flashlights were all been done before the examples you gave, and I don't think all of those are examples of what I mean.

Let me try and define it better:

I think for a gameplay concept to be considered a 'hook', it has to be original, relatively simple and there has to some sort of tradeoff involved. Either a risk or a loss or an additional challenge that comes about from doing something that advantages the player. Possibly all this crap in one.

Really I think the best way of getting across what I mean is just to give some more examples, but I'll just say that I think the one you gave about weapon limitation is right (even if Contra, if not others, did it earlier). Stealth is a great example too. I think deciding whether or not to actually use stealth or go in guns blazing is exactly what I mean.

Some more examples:

Unreal Tournament 2k3 (I think that's it): I've never played it, but there's a gun in it that shoots out a beam. When you're playing in a team, you can shoot members of your own team with it. If they have the same gun and they're firing it when you shoot them, their beam actually gets more powerful. You can keep doing this, and the beam gets biggger and bigger. The problem is the logistics/communication involved in setting up this situation and the limited mobility your team has if they want to keep using the hyper beam.

Shikigami no Shiro: Again, I've never played it, but from what I heard it has a cool idea where you gain 'experience points' from dodging bullets - the closer you go, the more you get. You grow more powerful as you get more points. That's the way I understand it.

Comment

Paradroid : shooting vs 'influencing'

The beauty of Paradroid was that it allowed you to work your way up the cybernetic food chain by 'influencing' more powerful robots. The trade off being you had less time to control more powerful robots. As such, it was always prudent to keep some of the more stable (but less powerful) lower level droids in the event of a near-burnout.

I remember on one instance I'd cleared a floor of all but two droids, a level-8 security robot and a lowly level-3 messenger. I had a choice of either engaging the security droid in combat or influencing it. I chose to influence but accidentally ran into the level-3 robot instead and had no choice but to take it over. As I was perviously influencing a level-7 battle droid, I was now down many levels and was certainly no match for the remaining robot in combat. My only choice was to try and incluence it, which I managed to pull off.

Paradroid, then. It's hook for me is the strategy in clearing the ship. You really have to think about what you're doing and many an egg is broken before finally making the omlette.

Comment

Ikaruga? By being of the opposite polarity, you can chain much quicker, thus massively increasing your score (which is what it is all about). But doing so exposes you to enemy fire.
          This is even true with bosses, especially the first, second and third.

Comment

The Ninja Rope - Worms 2

The item which made the game, multiple roping, retreating, swinging through the air like a demented trapeze artist, balancing the rope vertically.

Such a simple idea, yet so versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbury
              The Ninja Rope - Worms 2

The item which made the game, multiple roping, retreating, swinging through the air like a demented trapeze artist, balancing the rope vertically.

Such a simple idea, yet so versatile.
              Ohhh, sooo true. Roping extended the life of the game ten-fold. Roping is great fun, hard to start, eaqsy when you get into it, but reaching true levels of genius took many, many months to reach!

Comment

Pokemon- You have to catch the things rather than just letting them join your party.

Robotech: Battlecry- Transform! No really, I could just switch between flying and robot modes all day.

Vectorman- Transform! Again. No, his 'hook' is that he morphs into rockets, cars, trains, frogs, dancing idiots etc.

Comment

The Persuadatron: Syndicate series - If you've never played Syndicate before, the basic premise is this: You have 4 cyborg agents, placed into a large inner city area, with a specific task to complete, keeping as many of your agents alive as possible (at the start of the game you've given a set number of agents with which to complete the game, losing too many will leave you unable to finish it).

Anyway, the persuadatron was a great gadget that allowed you to control the minds of any other people you came across. Any civilians you persuaded would tag along behind one of your agents, and would pick up a weapon if they found one lying on the floor from someone you'd killed. Now firstly, you had to try to make sure you got all of the good weapons before any of your zombies got to them. Secondly, it was possible to persuade other agents. Now these enemy agents were usually just as heavily armed as you were, meaning you took a real risk getting close enough to one to persuade it. However, if you managed to pull it off, the agent would be added to your roster, allowing you to replace those you'd lost earlier.

With no mid-mission save ability, trying to pull this off became a real gamble, and eventually I learnt to set up an array of snipers (gotta love that LR rifle, so satisying to see whoever you hit turn into a large pool of blood and guts) to make sure that if I wanted one agent, I'd make sure his chums wouldn't get to the one with the persuadatron. It had a great name too

Comment

Originally posted by Manta Ray vs Guitar
                    Shikigami no Shiro: Again, I've never played it, but from what I heard it has a cool idea where you gain 'experience points' from dodging bullets - the closer you go, the more you get. You grow more powerful as you get more points. That's the way I understand it.
                    Your shots become more powerful & your score multiplier increases the closer to enemies & fire you fly - the trade off from using an all-powerful special attack is that your character slows down, making it harder to use evasion tactics.

Love it

Comment

how many times playing worms did i run out of time doing just that

Comment

Rainbow Islands. I saw this first in the arcades some years ago, and was charmed by it.

When it came out on Amiga, I played it almost non stop, managing to complete the game in one credit, but to get this, I had to learn how the game works.

Learning the invisible colour bands on the screen that influenced the colour of the little gem, when collapsing a rainbow from above, how many boots to equal wings etc. etc.

Complete the game - sad ending
                        Complete with all giant stones - happy ending
                        complete with all giant stones with mini stones collected in the right order - bonus levels

The list went on and on, it was a dream game that kept me hooked to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Crispin
                          Goldeneye - Sniper rifle with zoomable scope. Alarms. Decent AI. Stealth now possible, but not necessary.
                          Stealth is the name of the game on 007 mode with elite guards. I dare you.

Getting shot makes you jump out of your seat.

Likewise with Perfect Dark mode on PD.

Probably the most amount of tension I've ever experienced in a game behind the very hard story missions on F-Zero GX.

Most levels are technically impossible - however me and a mate have both completed Facility and Bunker with these settings.

The games only truly begin once all missions are clocked on 00Agent/Perfect Agent.

Comment

Originally posted by overlord uk
                            The Persuadatron: Syndicate series -
                            Agreed. The persuadertron was very cool when you played multiplayer games (across the nextwork using IPX/SPX - those woz teh dayz, meh!). You could persuade over half the city and have fifty or sixty civilians with you and how your opponent would crap themselves when they'd look on their map and see an army marching towards them!

Oh, yeah. Persuade a bunch of blokies and switch to gauss gun (a rocket launching incendiary device) and they would do the same (if they had them) then whatever you fire at, so would they. To see half of the world on fire was very cool!

Gunrock

Comment

Working...
                            X