Space Channel 5 part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space Channel 5 part 2

Ive recently received (and finished) Space Channel 5 and despite the extreme shortness of the experience it was a very good one indeed. The music is fantastic, the voice acting probably the best I've ever heard, the art direction perfect. So now I'm hungry for the sequel! However, my searching seems to show that it was only released in japanland? For those who have played it, how does it compare with the original? And does the foreign language hinder the gameplay at all?

I love both SC5 games. I have the Japanese versions of both, and imo the comedic value is largely visual, so the language barrier really isn't an issue. In the sequel, the fact that many of the scenes are in Japanese actually makes it funnier. The Japanese voice actor for Purge in SC5p2 does an amazing job.

As for the actual music. There is a broader range of styles and genres in the second game, and overall I enjoyed the tunes more than the first game. The gameplay is pretty much identical though, so if you enjoyed part 1 then you'll love it.

If you are worried about the Japanese language, there really isn't anything in there that makes the game unplayable. It's pretty obvious what's going on too, the plot is wafer-thin. I'm sure part2 had an English language release somewhere though. hmm...

Comment

Well that's what I really need to know, else I'd have to procure myself a DC-X disc. Though owning my first Jap game will be an experience for me

Comment

The PAL ps2 release of SC5p2 had a top quality English translation, with most of the original voice artists. Available from all pal territories except the uk, oddly. I imported mine from Australia.

I bought the Japanese DC version on release, which I played through and loved to bits despite the language problems.

Part 2 is more of the same, but better. The songs are of the same standard, but they've expanded the game mechanics (a few sections require you to hold down buttons or jam on instruments), and the main improvement is real-time rendered visuals, which make the whole game look an awful lot nicer.

I'd recommend the jpn DC version _and_ the pal PS2 version, so that you have vga and English respectively.

There is also a US double pack of Part 1 and 2 coming out very soon (a week or two away) for about $30.

Comment

Is that US double pack on DC or PS?

Comment

PS2 (they ain't gonna release a DC version now )

Comment

I found Part 2 harder and even annoying to begin with, but after a little while I realised it was brilliant and even better than the first, and it's even more mad in terms of story...

Comment

Part 2 has a much better visual style.

Comment

Ah, I don't have a ps2. I'll just wait until I see the dc version and dc-x pop up at the right price then.

Comment

Originally posted by olly
                    Ah, I don't have a ps2. I'll just wait until I see the dc version and dc-x pop up at the right price then.
                    *cough*

[hijack]

can throw in a Utopia bootdisc for u aswell if u like (I have a DC-X one, but need it), i'll have to test it boots it though...

[/hijack]

Comment

Working...
                    X