Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to buy another Laserdisc player as I still have a pile of discs here. Got some great stuff like Star Wars and old Jackie Chan stuff. And I have a lovely old widescreen CRT for watching them on.
    It's a shame laserdiscs died off as the sound was excellent and I'm sure anamorphic LD's could have competed with DVD for quality. Shame there was no RGB output on Laserdiscs though.
    Those big golden discs look awesome.

Comment

No RGB? ...

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        I want to buy another Laserdisc player as I still have a pile of discs here. Got some great stuff like Star Wars and old Jackie Chan stuff. And I have a lovely old widescreen CRT for watching them on.
        It's a shame laserdiscs died off as the sound was excellent and I'm sure anamorphic LD's could have competed with DVD for quality. Shame there was no RGB output on Laserdiscs though.
        Those big golden discs look awesome.
        Ah LD the last place you can get good quality versions of the un-edited Star Wars trilogy & completely uncut US Dub of the Overfiend saga
        I always wanted one when I was younger but never got round to it...still want to get the Transformers: The Movie on it as it's the only format I don't own it on

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        No RGB? ...

Yep S-Video or Composite only generally

Neil

Comment

Doesn't that just depend on the player? Or is there something about the LD that makes them that way.

Comment

Doesn't that just depend on the player? Or is there something about the LD that makes them that way.
            It appears that lter in it's lifetime many players were RGB capable (like the Phillips CDV400) but alot still didn't have the capability & some just took a feed from the Composite to make a scart connection.

I didn't realise but companies like Pioneer had actually been making these things since 1979...

Neil
            Last edited by Soundwave; 23-12-2013, 15:51.

Comment

I imagine it was more to do with America not having RGB as a standard. I wonder if players had RGB video encoders that could be modded for RGB out.

Comment

No RGB? ...

Unless you had one of these beasts back in the day....

This was from a time when most people were still using a VHS player....

Muse hi-vision, wow

Last edited by dvdx2; 23-12-2013, 16:40.

Comment

Wow!

I've always found LD to be interesting. Timeless stuff like Star Wars, T2, Blade Runner and Alien/s seem enough to justify owning one.

Comment

Standard LaserDisc is a Composite signal right off the disc. If it has a decent comb filter, it can look great.

D-theatre / d-vhs is another pre bluray format, on tapes!

Last edited by dvdx2; 23-12-2013, 16:49.

Comment

Laserdiscs give me the heebiejeebies. Rather like Guybrush and porcelain. Too much shiny surface.

Comment

This Sony 4K is a waste of ?3000 right?
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

The best thing about LD was the slo-mo on CLV - totally amazing. Shame you had to get up every 20 mins to switch sides/discs.... Those were the days! I'm sure my friend who owned one did a mod for RGB - he put a switch in.

Comment

My Dad had a huge LD collection. I've never actually touched a disc because I wasn't allowed. Jaja.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Wrong thread

Comment

The video circuits on my amp have blown during a power cut (I thought it was on the surge protector, but it was straight into the wall), so I've been to Staples to buy some more Belkin surge jobbies, so all the major stuff in the house is now protected from that sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X