Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The headphone amp turned up, and it's an absolute belter and no mistake.

Just to ensure that I'm analoguing the f**k out of that clean digital audio signal I went with a tube amp. I'm no audiophile, but everything I've tried so far (mainly CPS-II/Qsound and Final Fantasy VI) sounds like warm brandy. It's difficult to imagine near 30-year old video games sounding much better, at least without gambling over five figures on speakers to fill my room and piss off my neighbourhood with.

[MENTION=122]phillai[/MENTION] said it looks like I'm building a bomb.

This is very likely to be my 'forever' gaming setup now, until I add more controllers/joysticks and maybe upgrade the screen along the way. I have a 15" BVM in its flight case waiting on a replacement/donor PSU board, and potentially a 20" PVM coming in once the travel restrictions are lifted.

Excuse the messy shelves and boxes.

The cables are a bit of an inconvenience, but that's the price you pay to cut down that lag to the bare minimum. That said I'll likely get a couple of 8bitdo 2.4GHz M30s at some point.

Comment

So you're taking the digital out (via hdmi?), into a dac and then into a valve headphone amp?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        The headphone amp turned up, and it's an absolute belter and no mistake.

Just to ensure that I'm analoguing the f**k out of that clean digital audio signal I went with a tube amp. I'm no audiophile, but everything I've tried so far (mainly CPS-II/Qsound and Final Fantasy VI) sounds like warm brandy. It's difficult to imagine near 30-year old video games sounding much better, at least without gambling over five figures on speakers to fill my room and piss off my neighbourhood with.

[MENTION=122]phillai[/MENTION] said it looks like I'm building a bomb.

This is very likely to be my 'forever' gaming setup now, until I add more controllers/joysticks and maybe upgrade the screen along the way. I have a 15" BVM in its flight case waiting on a replacement/donor PSU board, and potentially a 20" PVM coming in once the travel restrictions are lifted.

Excuse the messy shelves and boxes.

The cables are a bit of an inconvenience, but that's the price you pay to cut down that lag to the bare minimum. That said I'll likely get a couple of 8bitdo 2.4GHz M30s at some point.
        Dave, how does the image and latency of the mister, compare to emulation using super resolutions and run ahead?

Comment

Dave will respond I'm sure but the image is impeccable over HDMI and via analog out to a CRT. There is no latency anywhere in the system that I can detect, including the HDMI output, as long as you use just the scan line filters, which I assume are doing something similar to the OSSC i.e. not using a frame buffer. The whole system is fantastic.IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            Dave, how does the image and latency of the mister, compare to emulation using super resolutions and run ahead?
            The analog video-out stomps all over both my original SFC 1-CHIP and PCE, which use Packapunch leads (placebo improvement, at best). Out the MiSTer, using a generic VGA>BNC cable, the difference is night and day. Genuinely.

Analog = Zero latency. HDMI = four scanlines of latency. I have to take still photos with long exposure to spot the difference.

I dislike run-ahead. Try Final Fight with it set to 1, and then tap the directional inputs. Your character will make weird, predictive, jolted movements. Not ideal, and a total deal-breaker for me. The same happens when playing Sonic when you roll into the bumpers. Weird/wrong frames all over the shop.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            So you're taking the digital out (via hdmi?), into a dac and then into a valve headphone amp?
            The 3.5 jack is also a Mini TOSLink optical port, so all you need is a mini TOS to regular TOS cable. No need to extract digital audio from the HDMI, although you can do that if you wish.

Comment

Not sure if I ever posted my setup before, but here is how it is today.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

I got a new TV. OLED is amazing.

Comment

Now I just need a Series X to use the 4K

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      Now I just need a Series X to use the 4K
                      Forget about the 4K. It's all about the 120FPS (where supported).

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        Forget about the 4K. It's all about the 120FPS (where supported).
                        I'd agree with this. 120fps is a game changer, literally, where it's supported... Xbox is nearing 50 titles with 120fps support now.

Comment

It has been interesting using 144 on my monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            I got a new TV. OLED is amazing.
                            https://photos.app.goo.gl/VK5kxfakdSyKaBTq7
                            The way the wires are crossing the hole in the back of my TV stand look a little bit like an xbox logo (if you have an imagination)

Comment

I was looking at getting a 144 but suddenly realised that unless the IR head tracking I use also does 144hz scanning I reckon it'll be a bit wonky I.e. when moving my head I'll only end up with a 75fps(ps3eye camera does 75hz) refresh rate for that movement iyswim? Need to investigate further. Nice TV Charlie boy!
                              Last edited by Brad; 28-04-2021, 06:30.

Comment

Here's my modest second setup for when I am "working"...

32" 1440p monitor
                                Xbox Series S
                                Logitech Speakers
                                3x HDMI splitter attached under the desk

What you can't see is my PC Plex server. It's an gigabyte brix NUC attached to the back of the monitor.

Does the job when I'm not allowed near the Series X and main TV. It's setup as clean as possible as my kids basically go through anything not tucked away out of view.

Comment

Working...
                                X