Streets of Rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streets of Rage 4

Sadly, the game shown is in prototype form and cancelled but looks lime it could have made a cracking PSN/XBL release.

It looks like it played like absolute dog ****, like the fighting out of GTA3, or something equally baba.

Comment

I'm assuming stuff like that would have been worked on. It might well have not been an amazing game but the enemies etc are def unfinished

Comment

No really, that looks tragic, no amount of development would have sorted that. For some proper Streets of Rage action check out SorR

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
          Sadly, the game shown is in prototype form and cancelled but looks lime it could have made a cracking PSN/XBL release.
          crazytaxinext, this looks like a demo video that Ruffian made to fish for work, I don't think it was ever cancelled as it looks more like Ruffian just pitched it to Sega and they said no.

Some nice stuff in the video some very bad stuff can see why it never got approved, I only really want to see Ancient make SoR4.

Comment

As ok as Arkham City, Sleeping dogs and Yakuza handle 3d fighting I dont think its wise for SOR to copy that gameplay. I dont mind if 3d models are used but it needs to be on a 2d plane. Theres loads of stuff that can be added since SOR3 came out, its not as if all possibilities have been exhausted for walk along beat em ups. The TMNT and Final Fight remakes were dog****, please dont add SOR4 onto that pile Sega!

Comment

I think the only way a SoR sequel would work is if it was a 2D 'tribute' title in the vein of the excellent game by BomberGames. Something similar to that i.e. a great piece of fanservice, not trying to fix what ain't broken but maybe throwing in 4-player local and online cooperative multiplayer would be great. I still sometimes fire up Streets of Rage 2 after the pub for some quick multiplayer sessions with mates.

A new 3D title sounds like a good idea, but the scrolling beat-em-up genre never really made a good transition into 3D, and I'm not sure I'd trust Sega of today to do it well.

Comment

Loved the intro bit. Movement and fighting were way too slow but I liked the atmosphere. For me, I wouldn't touch it if it didn't have cool music like the originals(it's the only reason I play them these days. Other scrolling fighters? No chance) and could let gameplay issues slide if it did have cool music. Didn't like the overly-long boss intro, though. SoR doesn't do that stuff, except for Mr. X and other big bosses.

Issues aside, the more I watch the video the more I wish it was a real game.

Comment

From retro gamer

Originally posted by korruptor
                  Full disclosure: I work at Ruffian Games...

Not sure how the footage leaked - or even what I can say now that it's out - but this isn't a game that was in production, so it wasn't "cancelled"...

The video is footage of a demo that we put together in about 6-8weeks, as part of a pitch in to Sega. We were proposing a modern remake of SoR, aimed at XBLA/PSN, full 3D but with a dynamic camera so there'd be side scrolling sections, sections from behind, etc. etc.

The project wasn't greenlit, which was a shame, as we really enjoyed working on it. And I've no idea how it's out in the wild now, but it's kinda cool that people get to see it

I really liked the background environments but the rest was poor. Animation and character movement was terrible. Still for 6-8 weeks that is impressive work.

Streets of Rage 4? Easy, just make it on the Yakuza engine.

Comment

Looks good considering the time frame at which they put it together. Visually it looks pretty nice but as Naka and DD have pointed out the second things start moving it looks crap.

For me I'd like to see a new Streets of Rage game in the same vein as Arkham City as that's pretty much the most fun I've had with that style of game in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                    X