Sega sues Level 5 for using touch controls in a DS game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega sues Level 5 for using touch controls in a DS game

Seriously, you cannot make this **** up. It's like the whole of Sega Japan is strung out on crystal meth, because they're doing the most ****ed up of things. It's literally like a crazy person is in charge!

First it was deleting fan videos on Youtube for talking about their games, so as to increase exposure about their games. (Or as Xzibit might say: I heard you liked videos of our games, so I deleted your videos of our games so you can watch more videos of our games)

Now they're suing the makers of Ni no Kuni because they made a DS game where you control your characters with the stylus. Which is like over half of all DS games.

Now with Level 5 tied up in court battles, looks like we won't be getting Ni no Kuni next year.

Well done Sega!

In the West, Level-5 is perhaps best known for the Professor Layton puzzle games. In Japan, the Fukuoka-based game company is also famous for its Inazuma Eleven soccer games. Those games are at the center of a lawsuit.

Nintendo should sue Sega for making a game where you go left and right with a controller and jump on things, because Mario did that before them.

The Segaboy in me wants to believe there's more to it than they let on, that it isn't something silly, but the realist in me wonders if maybe it is.

Comment

It's probably violating some patent, which doesn't make it any better as the patent system is absurd and unfair.

Sega actually own the patent for being able to change camera angles in a racing game. I wonder if Sega enforce that patent and insist on royalties from every single racing game since Virtua Racing.

Comment

I'm going to patent my arse so anyone else with an arse has to pay me royalties.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
          I'm going to patent my arse so anyone else with an arse has to pay me royalties.
          And I shall patent royalties, so whoever pays you royalties has to pay me royalties. We'll be rich Nakamura, rich!

Comment

Wondering if this also has implications for the planned final Professor Layton game and the localisation of Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney? Will this push those games back?

Comment

And I have already patented patents.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                And I have already patented patents.
                Perhaps, but while you were typing that, I patented you FSW (don't worry, my royalty demands are small). I also patented myself before anyone gets any funny ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                  Perhaps, but while you were typing that, I patented you FSW (don't worry, my royalty demands are small). I also patented myself before anyone gets any funny ideas.
                  Aha but I patented the concept of people being able to patent themselves muhahaha
                  Last edited by ETC; 11-12-2012, 10:47.

Comment

What's this nonsense about no ni no kuni now?

Comment

I'm going to patent the concept of a patent office, so I'll get royalties for ALL of the above.

Comment

If Sega didn't make Yakuza games, they could vanish from the face of the earth for all I care. No doubt they're close to bankruptcy and are desperate. Talk about a has-been company, sad really.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                          What's this nonsense about no ni no kuni now?
                          Me being sensationally sensationalist.

If the news of them suing Level 5 doesn't annoy people, then speculation about the cancellation of Ni no Kuni certainly will.

I should write for the Daily Mail I should.

Comment

A minor interpretative embellishment, if you will!

Comment

Right SEGA, that's PSO2 off my wantlist. You just hit Apple-hate status.

Comment

Working...
                              X