Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-near-features

Sony is discontinuing the Vitas Youtube App plus Maps and Near functionality.
    Why does this involve them discontinuing anything?

Like why do YouTube, a maps app and the Vita's equivalent of Street Pass need to stop working?

Comment

And yet they continue to add new, pointless features to it like email clients and that playmemories app.

In many ways Near was way better than StreetPass, yet just as pointless.

Comment

there will be licences and upkeep costs with these, so rather than pay licences to youtube the the people that own the tech behind Near they might as well cut there losses and get rid. there is probably such a small % of people using them that they decided they where not worth keeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Why does this involve them discontinuing anything?

Like why do YouTube, a maps app and the Vita's equivalent of Street Pass need to stop working?
          Although this doesn't affect me AT ALL it's getting a bit annoying having features removed. Seems wrong.

Comment

I wonder if the Vita, in the end, was too conservative. Maybe Sony should have made their equivalent of this...

Loads of these gaming tablets exist, but in my experience they have cheap-and-nasty naff controls, which defeats the ENTIRE point of the exercise.

Sony could've taken a leaf out the Kindle Fire's book - produced a tablet with PSVita-style controls and the iPad Mini's form factor, using an Android fork for the OS. Essentially a tablet alternative that also had very good games and critically, the means to control them.

Right now, things like Maps, YouTube, these are a bit pointless on the Vita because many of us already have phones that do this stuff, and better than the Vita does. The above hypothetical device appeals to me.

That being said, Sony is probably wary of the tablet space.

Comment

Thanks for bumping this thread up, cheers

Comment

None of that would have mattered, Asura, if Sony didn't commit to the device, supporting it and actively selling it. There was nothing wrong with the Vita itself. It's that Sony shuffled it onto shelves as if embarrassed by it and then sat quietly waiting for pretty much nothing to happen. And nothing did. Sony just weren't interested. Besides, the tablet market is far more saturated.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  In many ways Near was way better than StreetPass
                  How so? (Genuine question)

Comment

Street pass requires you to come into close contact with another 3ds user to get anything useful out of it. Near allows you to see other vita owners that are nearby without the need to come into contact with them. You can see what games people nearby have been playing and easily add them to your friend list. Full details here:

PlayStation®Vita Official User's Guide. Explains how to use the PS Vita system, including basic operations, settings, and use of software applications.

Comment

Any thoughts on Nihilumbra?

Comment

L2 & R2 triggers added to the Vita via add on case type thing

Comment

Happy birthday Vita sale now on:

Hard to believe how fast time flies, but PS Vita just hit its third birthday. From the launch of our slimmer model last May, to the kick-off of PlayStation Now on PS Vita, to the slate of new games, the system continues to deliver some of the best portable gaming experiences around.

Angry Birds: Star Wars PS Vita $ 9.60 $ 14.80 $ 39.99
                          Atelier Meruru Plus PS Vita $ 15.99 $ 23.99 $ 39.99
                          Atelier Rorona Plus PS Vita $ 15.99 $ 23.99 $ 39.99
                          Atelier Totori Plus PS Vita $ 15.99 $ 23.99 $ 39.99
                          BEN 10 GALACTIC RACING PS Vita $ 3.00 $ 5.00 $ 9.99
                          Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified PS Vita $ 10.00 $ 15.00 $ 49.99
                          Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles PS Vita $ 7.49 $ 8.99 $ 14.99
                          Deception IV: Blood Ties PS Vita $ 15.99 $ 23.99 $ 39.99
                          Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z PS Vita $ 7.50 $ 12.00 $ 29.99
                          Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable PS Vita $ 12.00 $ 20.00 $ 39.99
                          Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd PS Vita $ 19.99 $ 23.99 $ 39.99
                          Home ? A Unique Horror Adventure PS Vita $ 2.49 $ 3.49 $ 4.99
                          Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth1 PS Vita $ 15.99 $ 23.99 $ 39.99
                          Jak and Daxter Collection PS Vita $ 8.10 $ 13.50 $ 26.99
                          Jet Set Radio PS Vita $ 4.99 $ 5.99 $ 9.99
                          Let?s Fish! Hooked On PS Vita $ 3.00 $ 5.00 $ 9.99
                          LIMBO PS Vita $ 3.00 $ 5.00 $ 9.99
                          Metrico PS Vita $ 4.20 $ 7.00 $ 13.99
                          Monster Monpiece PS Vita $ 11.99 $ 17.99 $ 29.99
                          New Little King?s Story PS Vita $ 9.99 $ 11.99 $ 19.99
                          Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus PS Vita $ 15.99 $ 23.99 $ 39.99
                          Oddworld: Munch?s Oddysee HD PS Vita $ 4.99 $ 6.99 $ 9.99
                          Orgarhythm PS Vita $ 3.00 $ 5.00 $ 9.99
                          PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale PS Vita PS Vita $ 5.40 $ 9.00 $ 17.99
                          Putty Squad PS Vita $ 9.99 $ 14.99 $ 24.99
                          Ring Run Circus PS Vita $ 2.00 $ 3.50 $ 9.99
                          Silent Hill Book of Memories PS Vita $ 14.99 $ 17.99 $ 29.99
                          Sumioni: Demon Arts PS Vita $ 3.00 $ 5.00 $ 9.99
                          Sword Art Online -Hollow Fragment- PS Vita $ 15.99 $ 23.99 $ 39.99
                          Tales of Hearts R PS Vita $ 19.99 $ 27.99 $ 39.99
                          The Amazing Spider-Man PS Vita $ 9.60 $ 14.80 $ 39.99
                          Tiny Troopers Joint Ops PS Vita $ 3.99 $ 5.59 $ 7.99
                          Urban Trial Freestyle PS Vita $ 0.70 $ 1.75 $ 6.99
                          Valhalla Knights 3 PS Vita $ 6.00 $ 10.00 $ 19.99
                          Cel Damage HD PS4,PS3,PSVita $ 2.10 $ 3.00 $ 9.99
                          GODS EATER BURST PSP,PSVita $ 6.00 $ 10.00 $ 19.99
                          Think I might pick up the Little Kings Story as it reminds me of Pikmin.

Comment

Great price for ToH:R, a game everyone should get in my opinion. Nintendo should have kept it exclusive though!

Bought EDF2017, and thinking about one of the Atelier games but don't know which one is best. Any advice?

Comment

I bought Killzone on Vita as it's meant to be excellent. Can wash away the disappointment of the PS4 effort at least! May get Tearaway digitally too. My vita is so underused. I have about a dozen must play games on the system that I haven't even started!

Comment

Finally caved and bought Tearaway. Not a fan of touchscreen stuff but it seems to get a lot of good press.

Comment

Working...
                                X