No announcement yet.

Hitting The Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last time i pushed myself to the limits on a game would have to have been on Moto GP on the Xbox. I play it alot on LIVE and so i'm always trying to get the best lap time i can manage. There are some guys out there who's lap times are just sensational and incredibly hard to beat. I've had nights when i've done nothing but one single track trying to knock .1 off a lap time and believe me it's sooo hard to do. A typical lap lasts about 1.30 with about say 15 bends in it. In that 1.30 you have to be perfect in every movement on the pad and it takes uber concentration >_< but the satisfaction of beating a time, braking through that wall and being up there with the top twenty guys in teh world is all worth it ^ ^

Comment

Castlevania : Circle of the Moon on the GBA

The game is notorious for being stingy with health, and I approached a tough final boss with one miserable, small health potion and could get no further.

The alternative was to return and fight certain enemies who might give health potions. An exercise in tedium I never followed through.

Comment

Motivation helps. I would never have got a 1000 buzz on Psyvariar (Earth) without the NTSC scoreboard. I wanted to do Frequency for the same reason.

So if its any help, I've defeated Mizar on JFG. Got 0wnzed by him for hours at a time. One Sunday took a bath, tried him, and the bugger fell. It is worth it for the only Jimmy Saville impression in a video game.

Still can't do it. I can't even get past the first section in any of the stage three songs now. As a result, the game is now hidden away so its presence no longer taunts me.

Comment

Back to the question "Are games allowed to do this?"...the answer, in my opinion, is most definitely YES.

If you had busted Frequency's first three stages and that was as difficult as it got, you'd now have completed the game and had no real reason to go back to it. Same with unlocking things with Ikaruga. I saw one chap mention about learning the levels so he could get a better score...brilliant. The game was released ages ago (in game terms), and yet still he wants to go back to it. That is what makes a classic game, imho.

That is why games are allowed to do this. And of course, because some people will naturally just be better at Frequency, and will have found stage 4 to be a little taxing, but nothing more. I failed miserably at Frequency (and Amplitude), so I can't comment... :-)

Comment

Viewtiful Joe is just one bloody big pink flowery wall ATM, even on kids.............I'm crap!

The end boss of Metroid Prime had me licked, I couldn't be arsed with constantly re-trying to finish it especially after the 10 or so attempts it took to beat meta ridley.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBrother
              Viewtiful Joe is just one bloody big pink flowery wall ATM, even on kids.............I'm crap!

The end boss of Metroid Prime had me licked, I couldn't be arsed with constantly re-trying to finish it especially after the 10 or so attempts it took to beat meta ridley.

Agreed, re:MP, what annoys me most about the end boss is not the boss itself but the bloody annoying cavern you have to get through before reaching it, I can't bring myself to even start it now cause I know its just gonna annoy the f*ck out of me. Shame as I really enjoyed it up till this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Scythe
                Originally posted by SuperBrother

Agreed, re:MP, what annoys me most about the end boss is not the boss itself but the bloody annoying cavern you have to get through before reaching it, I can't bring myself to even start it now cause I know its just gonna annoy the f*ck out of me. Shame as I really enjoyed it up till this point.
                Hmm and each time you had to rescan everything if you wanted a high scanning score. Not a fun bit. Nor was Purple Lizard boy, each time you had to go through several rooms and watch some boring sequence and stuff. Even the boss was highly repetitive and just boring.

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't quite finish off the last boss in MP either. I'd get him down to 10% each time and then die. Later found out that I was missing the Ice Spreader rocket attack and couldn't be arsed going after it.

Re. Frequency, getting myself totally wired on caffeine gave me the edge I needed to clear Areas 3-5 on Hard. Practice helps as well.

The biggest wall I ever hit was the final level of Driver, I didn't just hit walls, I was getting knocked around so much that I went right through the walls and got stuck inside buildings a few times.

Comment

Working...
                  X