Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IGF 2013 Finalists (Independent Games Festival, Winners TBA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IGF 2013 Finalists (Independent Games Festival, Winners TBA)

Every year a thread kinda creeps up and disappears....wait a sec!

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

There will be a live stream again from GameSpot on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 from 6:30pm - 8:30pm PST, link has countdown timer.

So lets take a look at the finalists, also I'm going to put in some predictions for a laugh.

Seumas McNally Grand Prize: (Prediction - FTL)
    Cart Life
    FTL: Faster than Light
    Hotline Miami
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Little Inferno

Excellence in Visual Art: (Prediction - Kentucky Route Zero)
    Guacamelee!
    Incredipede
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
    Year Walk

Technical Excellence: (Prediction - Perspective)
    Intrusion 2
    LiquidSketch
    Little Inferno
    Perspective
    StarForge

Excellence in Design: (Prediction - Super Hexagon)
    FTL: Faster than Light
    Samurai Gunn
    Starseed Pilgrim
    Super Hexagon
    Super Space ____

Excellence in Audio: (Prediction - Hotline Miami)
    Bad Hotel
    Hotline Miami
    Kentucky Route Zero
    PixelJunk 4am

Excellence in Narrative: (Prediction - Gone Home)
    Cart Life
    dys4ia
    Gone Home
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Thirty Flights of Loving

Nuovo: (Preditcion - Cart Life)
    7 Grand Steps
    Bientot l'Ete
    Cart Life
    dys4ia
    Little Inferno
    MirrorMoon
    Spaceteam
    VESPER.5

Student Showcase Finalists: (Prediction - Back to Bed)
    ATUM
    Back to Bed
    Blackwell's Asylum
    Farsh
    Knights of Pen & Paper
    Pulse
    the mindfulxp volume
    Zineth

All IGF 2013 Main Competition entrants are once again eligible for Microsoft Studios' second annual sponsored prize -- a guaranteed first-party publishing deal (including funding if desired) to release the selected title on LIVE-enabled platforms, including the Xbox LIVE Arcade service, Windows Phone, and Windows. (Last year's winner was Capy's frantic retro platform shooter Super T.I.M.E Force)

There are only a few games I could see MS picking for the XBLA pirze.
    One was Hotline Miami (announced for Vita and PS3, so can't see that happening now) next up is Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime prime for online co-op action and local multiplayer or Gone Home as it's something different.
    The rest I'm not sure about for XBLA.
    Last edited by Family Fry; 22-03-2013, 16:12.

Great Post! Hadn't heard of a few of those but love Indie games, for me they're the future.

I'm not reading too much into Hotline Miami being announced on PS3/Vita myself. Indie darlings like Braid, Fez and Limbo all were XBLA first but have now popped up on PS3 so I live in hope Hotline Miami and Guacalmelee! will go the other way. I believe they're both self-published so it's probably more an issue with the cost of going multi-platform and PSN being more attractive than XBLA now since it has the PS3 and Vita. I imagine PSN sales will go to pay for an XBLA release down the line.

As for the prize, Guacamelee! and Little Inferno are the two I'd most like on XBLA but Kentucky Route Zero is soooo beautiful and I'd like to see that on a console (we have Broken Sword so why not?) it would also bode well for my hope "Double Fine Adventure" will appear on XBLA too. FTL or Hotline Miami are probably the safest bets but we know what a bunch of Hipsters the Indie community are and FTL and HLM are pretty mainstream already which could go against them, I wouldn't be surprised by a surprise winner...
    Last edited by Pikate; 22-03-2013, 15:37.

Comment

I always see MS being really arsey about games being on other console platforms before theirs.
      Kentucky Route Zero is a fantastic game, personally would love to see it on XBLA just to allow console owners access to it.

Comment

Well there's that but it's Microsoft, any morals or issues they have are always trumped by "will it sell" so you can throw a six to start when second guessing them. I never bothered after the first instalment of Kentucky Route Zero since I don't really like gaming on my MBP (Keyboard/Mouse... Urgh) but I would complete it if it popped up on XBLA. I hope most of those games can get XBLA releases one way or another really.

It's sad that for the cost of developing one Gears of War or Halo they could publish all those games and Double Fine Adventure and... Yet they'd rather give us another instalment of the same tired franchises. Oh well Battleblock Theatre and Duck Tales will cure my Modern Gaming Ennui.
        Last edited by Pikate; 22-03-2013, 16:25.

Comment

Here are your winners.

Excellence in Visual Art ($3,000)
          Kentucky Route Zero (Cardboard Computer)

Nuovo Award ($5,000)
          Cart Life (Richard Hofmeier)

Excellence in Audio ($3,000)
          140 (Jeppe Carlsen)

Excellence in Narrative ($3,000)

Technical Excellence ($3,000)
          Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation)

Best Student Game ($3,000)
          Zineth (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)

Audience Award ($3,000)
          FTL: Faster Than Light (Subset Games)

Excellence in Design ($3,000)
          FTL: Faster Than Light (Subset Games)

Seumas McNally Grand Prize ($30,000)

Comment

FTL consumed me for weeks - playing on the train on my commute, when I got home, over the weekend. It's one of those 'whoops, it's 5am games'. Well deserved!

Comment

This is a record of 6 posts in an IGF awards thread!

Comment

I want Zineth..... my laptop is rubbish though!

Comment

Surely it has to be spectacularly rubbish not to run Zenith?

Comment

Working...
                  X