Why are Sonic games so 'popular'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are Sonic games so 'popular'?

Following up on the previous thread I started, I am curious as to why people like Sonic the Hedgehog games. I never had a Sega console until I got a DC and Saturn some years ago so Sonic really has no special place in my heart. I understand his position in gaming history and due to that I have tried to get into it and have a few Sonic games: 1&2 and CD for PS3 from PSN and Sonic Adventures for the Dreamcast (and PSN) and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Awesome game, btw). As a platformer though, I think Sonic isn't really that good. I could just be bad at these games, or don't get them, but I think the control is really bad. Sonic's mechanics aren't really made to explore levels to find those special "TV boxes" and honestly what's the point of doing it anyway. Where's the reward in it? I think there are a few paths to the levels but I'm totally lost to the fact. I can't tell one way or the other. The sense of speed is where it's at but is constantly hampered by annoying obstacles. I guess the secret is to find the perfect path...? (Beats me.) Sonic 2 is hailed as the "best" 2D one but where's the fun? The setting is colorful, Sonic is a likable character, and I like the music, but I guess my cynical self can't get too interested. I like Sonic CD more (for the music) but I find the games are plagued with levels that are a mess and somehow lack personality.

3D sonics are different. I think Sonic Adventure captures the essence of Sonic better, imo. I think the game looks really nice even today, and running through the first level was a blast, but after it I was a bit lost. I had to fight Dr. Robotnik/Eggman, which wasn't very much fun. The jumping mechanics are clunky. Shouldn't there be more of a focus on some form of battling that has to do with running fast etc...? After I beat the boss I just wanted to get into the next speed bash but had to do some odd things at Tailz's workshop which I couldn't care less about. I heard Adventures 2 is even better... Maybe I should check that one out?

So what's it about Sonic games...? My opinion is meek and Sonic is obviously a popular franchise, but why?
    Last edited by danholo; 09-04-2013, 13:43.

It's all about branding. People trust brands they recognise. And the Sonic brand has been well marketed for the best part of twenty years now.

The early Sonic games up to Spinball were really good. Gamers who played them back in the day are probably buying games for their kids now and see Sonic as a safe option.

Comment

Whatever the reason, I'm blind to it.

Comment

Any mention of Sonic now reminds me of this.

Comment

No idea on this one. Most Sonic games are terrible. The 2D ones are generally good though.

Comment

A lot of things were a good idea in the 90s but didn't pan out. (Beepers/Pagers, The Spice Girls, Tamagotchi's, "Grunge", Matthew Perry's movie career)

Comment

All of those things are great apart from Sonic.

Comment

Why do people like things I don't like? I mean, I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Why do people like things I don't like? I mean, I don't get it.
                  Beat them up and tell them they're wrong. That'll teach em.

Comment

It's really the only way.

Comment

Not being funny about this, but Sonic really hasn't been good since the 16-bit era. You'd have to go back to Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles (maybe even Sonic CD) to find the last truly great Sonic game.

I feel sorry for Sonic fans who have to see their hero prostituted by appearing in **** like Sonic Jump & Sonic Dash.

Comment

I totally agree. While his then rival Mario goes from strength to strength.

Comment

Yeah, fully agree. I think Sonic on the MS was the first videogame that I ever played, but his games have been wack for a very, very long time. I still love Sonic 2 and play it through at a minimum of once a year. Great game.

Comment

Because the original Mega Drive games were so damn good, and Sonic Adventure was brilliant for its time.

Breaks my heart that the series is a shadow of its old self. No idea why it still sells when it's been off for so long though.

Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System, Sonic 1 - 3, Sonic & Knuckles and despite its flaws, Sonic Adventure are all classics in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                              Because the original Mega Drive games were so damn good, and Sonic Adventure was brilliant for its time.

Breaks my heart that the series is a shadow of its old self. No idea why it still sells when it's been off for so long though.

Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System, Sonic 1 - 3, Sonic & Knuckles and despite its flaws, Sonic Adventure are all classics in my eyes.
                              I would argue that Sonic 3 was a pretty poor attempt by Sonic Team to clone the mechanics of Donkey Kong Country. Sonic & Knuckles was an improvement but it somehow lacked the charisma of the first two, imo.

Sonic Adventure? Lots of style, zero substance. Same with Sonic Adventure 2/Battle.

Sonic 1, Sonic 2 & Sonic CD for me personally.

Comment

Working...
                              X