Dead Island PS3 - worth a playthrough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Island PS3 - worth a playthrough?

Myself and a mate were considering picking this up as we are both zombie gaming fans, unfortunately the reviews are a bit of a mixed bag so was hoping for some user feedback on here regarding the single player campaign and if it works well online?

I thought it was pants, very linear with few choices that change anything about the game. I still caved in and bought riptide though, that's loads better but I got stuck at a boss called mr dead and never went back to it.

Comment

That's what I was fearing, is riptide a whole new game in itself? If so what does it do differently?

Comment

You can get the first game for less than a tenner and personally, I really enjoyed it. (360)

Single-player was really tense and co-op was great fun.

A lot of the reviews are from when it was released and it had a load of issues, but by the time I played it at the end of last year, it was patched up and I thought it was a good example of how to do drop-in gaming.

I'd say go for it!

Comment

I really enjoyed it and would thoroughly recommend it. Riptide s great so far as well.

Comment

I thought it was terrible. A horrible looking, and dull to play, open world game with very little variety and even less personality.

Comment

Technically it can be a bit ropey, but i really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere, tense, although a tad repetitive.

Not much gunplay until later in the game though, so if you are looking for an fps, look else where

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                I thought it was terrible. A horrible looking, and dull to play, open world game with very little variety and even less personality.
                But you don't like EDF, so your opinion is null and void.

Comment

It's a bad game, but it's pretty fun. Like EDF.

Comment

I thought the sound was particularly good in this.

From the spooky loading music to the distant grunts of the city level.

It's not for everyone, but I genuinely got a lot from this game. It was tense at the start when you're underpowered and fun by the end when you're tooled up.

I really didn't want to go out on missions sometimes as it was so tense!

I liked the setting and if wasn't for the undead messing the place up, the hotel would have been really pretty!

Comment

Me and a few friends have just bought the definitive version for PS4 for £2.59 off the store. None of us have played it before, but I reckon we could get a decent laugh/session out of it tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                        Me and a few friends have just bought the definitive version for PS4 for £2.59 off the store. None of us have played it before, but I reckon we could get a decent laugh/session out of it tonight.
                        That's exactly what we did and it was a good laugh.

Just be careful of levelling because if someone streaks ahead away from your sessions, your character will be fighting monsters at their level.

I wanted to finish it again, but the others had enough of the relentlessly depressing atmosphere of the city.
                        Definitely got our money's worth, though!

I got the DLC cheap too, so may just play that on my own.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I think we will only play when we are all ready to play together. Can you dive straight into co-op or are there tutorials you must do in single player first?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                            Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I think we will only play when we are all ready to play together. Can you dive straight into co-op or are there tutorials you must do in single player first?
                            If memory serves, there's a whole section at the start you do solo and it only goes co-op after a certain point.
                            Not only that, but you need to save your progression or it makes you do that opening again.

I can't remember if it's best to assign one person as the host, because I *think* their game is the one that remembers your progress.

Comment

Working...
                            X