• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Phone games. Holy crap

In 2005 I had a phone that had a game on it

a 3D game, it was of Sega's Virtua Tennis

It looked like this

This was the year that the Xbox 360 launched.

Today I saw a game for the iPhone.

It looks like this

Technology! Gotta Love it.

I've not bothered with any games before but as I managed to burn through nearly all my data with a week to go I d/loaded Infinity Blade to kill time at work with. I cant believe that runs on a phone either!

Obviously not as good as Snake but I am still amazed

Comment

The mobile market is even more competitive than the computer market for hi-end CPU and GPUs, there you have to balance performances with size, heat profile, and power drain.
      It's a huge market and everyone wants a piece of it, technological advancements in this field are nothing sort of amazing...I still think they're within Moore's Law, but impressive advancement nonetheless.

Comment

It really is staggering how far technology has moved on in the last few years, but most of the games are still terrible because of the touch interface. If developers focused more on games that suited touch then it'd be a much healthier medium, but all these FPSs just don't work.

Comment

Thing is, mobile phones are no longer mobile phones so it's a whole different thing. Back then we had phones, some with meagre extras. Now we have personal all-purpose computing devices that happen to have phone capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
            It really is staggering how far technology has moved on in the last few years, but most of the games are still terrible because of the touch interface. If developers focused more on games that suited touch then it'd be a much healthier medium, but all these FPSs just don't work.
            Hopefully devices like Ouya will change all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Thing is, mobile phones are no longer mobile phones so it's a whole different thing. Back then we had phones, some with meagre extras. Now we have personal all-purpose computing devices that happen to have phone capabilities.

Convergeance! That's a buzz word I've not heard in a while. I guess our games consoles started going the same way last gen.

Comment

Sure the graphics look good, but the actual game looks totally boring and completely pointless. Add to that the fact that it probably also plays like crap with touchscreen.

Also, "Modern Combat"? Isn't that borderline trademark violation?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Essentially they're not all that different to how they used to be - they're just more powerful.

Funny that as the graphics get better, the control schemes get worse.

Hell if I'm gonna play an FPS using a touchscreen. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
                    Sure the graphics look good, but the actual game looks totally boring and completely pointless. Add to that the fact that it probably also plays like crap with touchscreen.

Also, "Modern Combat"? Isn't that borderline trademark violation?
                    The Modern Combat games are actually pretty good. They play fine, and look amazing. I actually enjoyed the 4th more than I did Black Ops 2.

Not sure why you think it looks boring? Unless you think COD is boring, in which case yeah it does as it basically is just a COD game.

Comment

Well, because it looks about as generic modern war shooter as you get and if I want to play that, I'll rather play on a real controller and proper TV. I don't understand the point of trying to cram PC/home console games on a mobile as it can never be as good as the real thing. But then again, I can't see the point of playing any games on a mobile besides something like Angry Birds to kill 5 minutes of time waiting for a bus.
                      Last edited by Guts; 09-06-2013, 17:40.

Comment

Angry Birds and the likes of are all that is wrong with phone gaming. It's to the point when somebody tell you they like gaming then start talking about some crappy flash style phone game Phone games can be fantastic, just as great as real hand held consoles IF they have support from real physical controls. Playing the new Sonic remake with a real controller on my phone is great same with a few FPS games and that water jet bike racer by Vector Unit (same guys behind the 360 game). To be honest the only "real" games that do work with touch controls are shooters such as Raiden or Cave games.

Comment

And even those lose the ability to have scoring hooks based on letting go of the fire button briefly (unless you remain still during that time). And they let you move too fast.

The problem is that games like Angry Birds work with the touch screen well, so that's what gets played.

Comment

Working...
                          X