The Death of Video Game Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Death of Video Game Music

Something occurred to me the other day that seemed so obvious, yet has been overlooked - the lack of dedicated, memorable video game music over the past generation. This got me wondering why this has happened.

Obviously this is due to the change in focus for gaming during the generation, a shift towards pseudo-realism, and towards 'epics' with greater production values and less traditional 'gaming' elements. As a result, this element of gaming seems to have been relegated to indie titles, niche Japanese games, or dedicated music games. Yet, gaming music doesn't necessarily have to sound chip-generated. Rather than music adapting to the changing focus of the industry in the way that graphics have, the role of music in video games as a whole has decreased.

I think it's important to consider for a moment what an important element the music of a game is for many of the games that we love. Even if the music has never been the most important element of a game, it has still played a massive role in shaping our appreciation for a game. For example, consider the role that Yuzo Koshiro's soundtrack for Streets of Rage has played in how we remember those games. Or Street Fighter, or Virtua Fighter, or any other game with extremely memorable music.

Despite the perception of music as being unimportant for a game, I find that the music can actually be one one element that really plays with our senses and brings back that sense of nostalgia, possibly moreso than even the graphics.
    I still get a chill down mu spine every time I hear this theme from Virtua Fighter 2, for example. I get flooded with memories from the Saturn days just by listening to this, memories far beyond just Virtua Fighter 2 itself.

And yet, gaming music has also never only been the catchy tunes such as the examples above, gaming mucis has also aken the form of ambience that has set the tone and atmosphere for the entire game. Have you ever tried playing Resident Evil without the awesome ambient soundtrack? Or Silent Hill? Something always feels missing, like an important element of the 'feeling' of the game isn't there, a gaping hole.
    Remember the first time you walked into the police station on Resident Evil 2?

Obviously the industry moves on, gaming music will still have it's place on the fringes and in certain games. But the realisation that today's gamers, the gamers for whom today's games are their 'golden age', the fact that such an important element of our gaming experience (the music) will be completely alien to today's gamers... this realisation made me a little sad.

I have certainly been feeling this for a while. Castlevania Lords of Shadow is a perfect example, it had a pretty boring soundtrack which was meant to be full of atmosphere and gave the dark Hollywood feel. In reality it was easily layered rubbish with little in the way of anything remotely resembling a melody.

There are still games out there with great soundtracks though. Xenoblade, Persona and Skyward Sword are three such examples. Skyward Sword may use fully orchestral music at times but the melodies are so strong they are memorable. For a 16bit feel, Super Platform Puzzle Deluxe on Steam has a fantastic soundtrack.

Here is some gameplay. Whilst at first the music sound like standard retro theme chip music, the melodies are often fantastic and wonderfully driving which draws you in with the increasing pace of the game.

Going back to Castlevania, I fail to see why games now are so lacking in melodic soundtracks. When you look at something as amazing as this..

It would fit so well into pretty much any dark game and still is memorable.

Comment

I listen to video game music all the time, and there's tons of new stuff. I guess you just missed it. I guess the games of today just don't instill that sense of awe into you as the games of old did.

Maybe the industry is not what it was in its 'glory days' (us here mainly remember the 90's) but I'd wager that we're just getting old.

Comment

I thought the music to Deus Ex :Human Revolution and Fez was outstanding. There are still some great tunes being made for games.

Comment

I guess it's because games have become more "cinematic" in their presentation and technology makes epic, fully orchestrated pieces possible, so they don't sound distinctly "video game" any more. I think Mass Effect has some great, memorable music, even though it sounds like Hans Zimmer at times:

Comment

Mass Effect 2 and Fez indeed have really good music, certainly still good stuff out there. Orchestral music is of course lovely but it isn't the answer all the time. It just shows a lack of creativity to me.

Comment

There was also a fantastic track in the original Halo that I can't think of the name of.

Comment

Halo 1 certainly has plenty of memorable tunes.

This is maybe my personal favourite (really starts at about 1:50):

Last edited by Guts; 09-06-2013, 18:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
                  I guess it's because games have become more "cinematic" in their presentation and technology makes epic, fully orchestrated pieces possible, so they don't sound distinctly "video game" any more. I think Mass Effect has some great, memorable music, even though it sounds like Hans Zimmer at times:
                  There's a possibility that during the 80's and 90's even if composers wanted to make great tracks with better sounds, the fact was that the hardware simply couldn't allow such feats. Frankly, I really prefer arranged versions to old 8-bit tracks, although some 16-bit tracks from the SNES days are awesome. Sometimes the arrangements are better realizations of what was intended. This also holds true to the games' graphics. Everything was made as 'realistic' as possible, coupled with concept art to give us an idea of what was tried to be represented in crude pixel form. I really like 16-bit graphics but it's not like game developers don't use this style anymore. These days we need to use our imagination less when playing, which is a slight bummer but it's not like we weren't always in awe when a new upgrade was introduced to gaming, whether it be 3D etc., always looking for the next advancement to make games 'better'.

Video game music is far from 'dead'. It's only evolving just as the industry is.
                  Last edited by danholo; 09-06-2013, 19:32.

Comment

I thought the soundtrack to Dead Island was brilliantly eerie and atmospheric.

Comment

Originally posted by danholo View Post
                      Video game music is far from 'dead'. It's only evolving just as the industry is.
                      I have to disagree there.
                      They don't use music any more, they use themes to set moods for specific story lines rather than "pick up and play" music.
                      Gaming music hasn't evolved, they have replaced it.
                      You are never going to hear the likes of Puzzle Bobble or Fantasy Zone again.

Comment

Anybody who is into videogame OSTs should check out Remember Me's it's absolutely fantastic. It better win some awards.

There are some clips here

Available on iTunes, Amazon mp3, Spotify, Xbox Music and more. Print your own CD with the official Artworks: http://www.olivierderiviere.com/REMEMBER_ME_CD.rar

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
                          I have to disagree there.
                          They don't use music any more, they use themes to set moods for specific story lines rather than "pick up and play" music.
                          Gaming music hasn't evolved, they have replaced it.
                          You are never going to hear the likes of Puzzle Bobble or Fantasy Zone again.
                          Music was much simpler then, but maybe life was too which is why we are so attached to it???

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                            Anybody who is into videogame OSTs should check out Remember Me's it's absolutely fantastic. It better win some awards.

There are some clips here

https://soundcloud.com/olivier-deriv...e-ost-excerpts
                            Played this today briefly and the audio was superb. Great music.

Comment

I've thought about this recently. 90% of mainstream games don't even feel like games to me anymore, they feel over produced, watered down and designed for everyone and their mum to be completed with between 8-12 hours of gameplay and then on to the next game. There are exceptions but as a rule it's the former. This isn't the rose-tinted glasses effect go on here either. Nothing gets my heart racing than a balls hard retro game from 85-97ish when all that practice finally pays off.

Hows about this for a videogames soundtrack. 2 solos! They don't come much better than this!

Last edited by ExMosquito; 09-06-2013, 21:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X