The Nier appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nier appreciation thread

Proposed by our very own Speedlolita, I agree that this thread is needed to inform you all of a little gem of a game which most people missed.

An action RPG with a brilliant story, great gameplay and the best soundtrack of this generation.

It can be picked up for peanuts, and as its listed in our recent generation top 10 list- many people agree!
    Hopefully more people will give it a go following this thread.

Appreciate starting.... NOW

This is on my list of games that I really, really need to play. I've done the first half hour twice now, but I've not seen it through beyond that. First impressions haven't blown me away, but given the people who've recommended it to me have a pretty similar taste in games to myself, I'm confident that if I find the time for it that I'll love it.

Comment

Literally got this in the 2 for ?10 in Game a short while back.

It's a little upsetting that this game is overlooked. It feels like a rather traditional action RPG that I don't think would be unfair to compare to the likes of Zelda. Many think the game is a little unbalanced with how powerful magic is but I personally only really used my melee weapons and finished off bosses with magic - or if it was required.

It has a great story, amazing soundtrack, shmup elements on some bosses (bullet hell) and although there's a decent amount of backtracking I guess I don't really see how that's an issue, although I have read it as a criticism by some.

My only regret is that I've yet to check out the new game plus which apparently lets you understand what the enemies are saying and gives you another perspective of the events occurring in the game. Also gives more information on Kaine, I believe.

Here's the Classic Game Room review.

I was very surprised whilst playing this game as I wasn't expecting much and yet it has become my favourite game this gen.

Comment

Fab game. Not sure where all the mediocre scores came from (presumably - graphics not as good as Uncharted so fail). The wonderfully potty-mouthed Kanie and the excellently voiced Grimoire Weiss are reasons enough to play this.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
          Fab game. Not sure where all the mediocre scores came from (presumably - graphics not as good as Uncharted so fail). The wonderfully potty-mouthed Kanie and the excellently voiced Grimoire Weiss are reasons enough to play this.
          The general opinion was that it was a Dreary looking, tedious to play affair that completely lacked challenge, had no charm and above all else was incredibly monotonous, with lots of traveling across seemingly endless landscapes sparsely packed with the same dull enemies over and over.

Some reviews seemed to think it was one of the most boring games they had ever played.

Others just thought it played like a cheap budget game with no redeeming features at all.

Comment

I was sorting out my 360 games yesterday and found a sealed copy of this that I bought back when it first came out and never got to playing and then forgot about it. Shame on me.

Comment

Should I get this for the PS3 or 360? I have both now and this issue is giving me a dilemma.

Comment

Originally posted by danholo View Post
                Should I get this for the PS3 or 360? I have both now and this issue is giving me a dilemma.
                Just choose whichever controller you would prefer.

Comment

It's true that completing the game once isn't enough.

Starting new game plus starts you at the mid point of the game to replay it all, but this time allows you to understand text and speech that you couldn't before and completely changes your motivation, and makes you question your actions. Brilliant storytelling mechanic!

The endings are all different, and the final ending even deletes your save completely! (For story reasons)

Not enough is made of the dungeons either, very inventive. One being a pastiche of the Resident Evil mansion, and another that turns the game into a full blown text adventure!

Comment

Frame rate is better on 360, but nicer visuals on PS3 iirc.

Comment

I loved this game, I can understand if people are put off by initial impressions or if you play games for the graphics but it is one of those games that begins to give more the the longer you stick with it.

I did want to write a massive post about it and how underated it is but I am at work so......I'll do it later.
                      Last edited by 'Press Start'; 17-07-2013, 22:44.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                        Frame rate is better on 360, but nicer visuals on PS3 iirc.
                        I see. I completed it on 360 but my newer copy is on PS3. Will replay it when I have a week off work I think.

Comment

Anyone played the Replicant version? Any major differences?

Comment

Not enough is made if the soundtrack for this. An absolute beauty rivalling anything you've heard in gaming before.

Available on itunes and online, give it a listen- its deserved of all praise!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              Anyone played the Replicant version? Any major differences?
                              I was considering getting it but I don't think there's any real differences other than you being a younger character. Different relationship with Yonah too apparently. I guess you're too young to be her Dad.

Comment

Working...
                              X