No announcement yet.

Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually had no idea Second Life was still going. I have never tried it and yet always felt the concept was something that would become much more normal in the future.

Comment

Yes you will need a 970 card minimum, which are about ?180 new at the moment I think.

CES feedback is pretty positive for the Rift, bar the field of view, seems they've trimmed the weight of the device to almost baseball cap weight levels.
      Vive feedback not quite so positive and price could be around the ?600 to ?900 by a lot of predictors. It's certainly expected to come in at more than the Rift.

Comment

Cheapest I've seen 970s for is ?250, if you've got a link for one at ?190 post the link and I'll SLI up

Comment

Sorry, I was wrong, ?250 is about right Marty, though they have been down to ?229 at Amazon briefly. SLI is no good for VR apparently so make sure you read up on the issues if that was your plan.

Comment

Take not with a pinch of salt but a lorry worth! Link hints at $1500 for the Vive.

A new report out of Taiwan has the HTCVive price possibly as high as $1,500, more than double the price of its nearest rival, the Oculus Rift. 

HTC are in such a mess, swore I would never buy another of their products after the HTC Desire problems and returns about five years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by VR46 View Post
              Sorry, I was wrong, ?250 is about right Marty, though they have been down to ?229 at Amazon briefly. SLI is no good for VR apparently so make sure you read up on the issues if that was your plan.
              Really? That surprises me as you'd think you'd be able to parallel the left and right screen processing.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Nvidia has VR thing going on. I have 970vsli now and a DK2 rift and some games already work with sli.

Comment

Re SLI, see some of the posts and links in this thread. I've only read it in passing to be honest so it's probably not the major issue as not working, rather not supported.

Looks like the main reason Oculus are trying to steer people away from it is that a number people will want to use two (fairly) lower powered cards to match the performance of a single 970 card.

Comment

As the days pass, we draw closer to a potentially seismic change in the PC gaming space - the arrival of Virtual Realit…

Digital Foundry looks at the VR spec requirements that have been issued.

Maybe it's just the way I read it but it seems to me that even if you have a PC that meets or exceeds the requirements of VR, it's still years out of being a worthwhile investments. The trouble looks to be the scaleability of PC titles where your machine might be high specced for a 1080p title but it still hits bottlenecks due to optimisation and quirks of the engine. The high demands of the tech just to get basic demo style titles running smoothly suggest inconsistent results on full sized titles could be common for a long time.

The good news is that the aim is for the VR requirements to not change as ths years go on so more and more set ups each year will meet the required specs above the currently estimated 1% of the PC market. That brings it back around to the concern over whether VR can maintain the hype and goodwill for the years it would take to get widespread adoption in the face of years of PR fade, inevitable poor reviews from those who try it on unfit hardware, low software support due to the small userbase audience and years of rival 'future' tech development and releases.

For me, if it gains any ground, it makes it feel even more important that it gains a foothold in the console market which places a lot on PSVR. If that fails, the public nature of it could bury it for many years especially with Nintendo and MS (to some extent) not getting directly involved in it.

Without VR headsets costing ?40 and being bundled with the machine I think anything that becomes the future for displays in gaming needs to also be the future of TV. Adoption in any TV area seems to be slow and forced these day (hence the slow 1080p arrival) so 4K and 8K still seem the next safe bet.

Comment

I think you're spot on SF, CPU/motherboard/USB port architecture etc there are so many things that can impact performance, suppose this is why they want you to buy an Oculus Ready PC such as

The Oculus "Is your PC VR ready?" tool is poor too and is just a general disgnostics check basically, You could have a three year old overclocked CPU that is more than ample the minimum suggested but it will say you're not ready.

If I do take the plunge it will be with a DK2 next month and see from there. Unless the consumer versions hit ebay at cheap prices very quickly.

So want VR to work but it has so much stacked against it, that it will have a long uphill struggle for years to come.

Another decent article regarding VR/PC specs etc

EDIT: some example builds here, all in USD price

Biggest thing to note (bar the spelling of there) is that PCI USB3 slots seem the safest option

Note regarding USB 3.0 compatibility:
                      Their is a possibility the USB 3.0 controllers wont be compatible in any of the above builds. This is widespread according to Reddit and Oculus.
                      If your needing more USB3.0 ports this one is compatible according to Oculus. Both the 2 and 5 port versions should work. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop
                      This new NVidia 980ti card is a great solution with it connected to USB3 & HDMI slots in a front bay, hope more card manufacturers follow suit, I may have posted about it the other day come to think of it.

Last edited by VR46; 15-01-2016, 12:45.

Comment

It's going to be late summer 2017 before I get my next PC and I'll be aiming for maximum end for that one. Not even sure it will run VR consistently well with bleeding edge 2017 tech given the scaleability and output requirements it needs. I'll be happy to get anywhere close to consistent 60fps at 4K resolution.

Comment

Two decent 980ti's SLI'd would just about do that now.... If you've got ?1100 to spare for the pair of these superclocked ones of course.

New series of NVidia cards are due this summer so will be interesting to see what they bring and what it does to prices of 970's & 980's

Last edited by VR46; 15-01-2016, 12:51.

Comment

Damn, 2 980 Ti cards and Witcher 3 in 4K still isn't hitting 60 FPS? I'd want my ?1K back

Comment

Was confirmed yesterday that the Vive will be $799 - but it does include the two hand controllers and two cameras for room distance/position tracking. Has bluetooth built in for call answering too.

More info here

Comment

Vive preorders in the UK go live today for ?689

UPDATE 1ST MARCH: Pre-orders went live yesterday and went very well. HTC announced that Vive sold more than 15,000 unit…

Comment

Working...
                                X