Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huxley View Post
    Not yet, but you need to have it linked to a Facebook account regardless I`m afraid.
    Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    https://www.techradar.com/news/hacke...acebook-log-in

Jail breaking is not ideal, but if you have an issue having to use a Facebook account then Quest 2 isn't for you.
    I'm fully aware. But if you have a good Steam setup with it, you can own the headset but buy everything from Steam, and only use Steam software. It also means if Oculus change their terms for the worse again, or when another headset exists or similar spec, you can switch and won't lose much.

EDIT: For the record, it wouldn't shock me one bit if one of Facebook VR Labs' next moves is to completely disable the ability to use SteamVR. It would annoy "core" users but their recent moves have kinda done that anyway.
    Last edited by Asura; 09-12-2020, 20:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      I'm fully aware. But if you have a good Steam setup with it, you can own the headset but buy everything from Steam, and only use Steam software. It also means if Oculus change their terms for the worse again, or when another headset exists or similar spec, you can switch and won't lose much.
      Yep. I just switched to a Reverb and all my games still work cos I bought nothing off oculus store.

Comment

I went from CV1 to an Index. 90% of my stuff is from Steam for the same reason. When they announced the Facebook thing I had the Oculus account killed and got rid of the CV1.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Yep. I just switched to a Reverb and all my games still work cos I bought nothing off oculus store.
          The only thing stopping me is that all the other sets are wired.

It's cliche to say it, but the Quest being wireless was such a quantum leap. I can't imagine going back to a wired headset.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            The only thing stopping me is that all the other sets are wired.

It's cliche to say it, but the Quest being wireless was such a quantum leap. I can't imagine going back to a wired headset.
            The wires are an utter pain in the arse, no doubt about it. The reverb g1 wires are a pair, and extremely inflexible. The rift S cable is much better.

The Facebook thing is annoying but I’d say that unless it actually affects you then a quest is the way to go. Can play pc games on it, it’s driven easily on modest modern pc hardware, wireless gaming, no pc required gaming! and it’s £300!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              The Facebook thing is annoying but I’d say that unless it actually affects you then a quest is the way to go. Can play pc games on it, it’s driven easily on modest modern pc hardware, wireless gaming, no pc required gaming! and it’s £300!!!
              I generally dislike FB, but there are specifics in this case. I'm seeing a lot of reports online suggesting that if you suddenly start using a Quest 2, when you don't really have much on your profile - i.e. you don't post loads of stuff about your life, you don't add many people, you don't have your phone number listed, you have the privacy options cranked up - that FB is quite likely to block your account as "suspiscious", and you can only reverse this by sending them your driving license or something, and even then, they've apparently been quite difficult about it. The point here is that it's true, they're trying to stop sockpuppet accounts - but it's also clear that if you're this sort of person, Facebook doesn't want you as a customer and would prefer you didn't bother.

In that scenario, you can end up with a headset you can't even use.

Comment

That is insane if true, what an utterly moronic requirement

Comment

It's definitely happening to some accounts, but it's still small minority of users - I barely use Facebook, with privacy settings all turned on and my mobile number isn't genuine. Of course they don't want sock-puppet accounts because these are the accounts posting spam and fake news across the site.

They should never have tied the login to Facebook, but ultimately it's their decision and as consumers you have to make a choice of purchase based on that.

Comment

Yeah it is an issue for new users. I have a 10 year old fb account that is locked down, no phone number, never logged in for last 5 years probably and it’s been fine.

The problem is Facebook algorithm for detecting a dummy account. A dummy account and one that is used just for oculus is likely to have the exact same traits. They need to fix this.

Comment

I, for one, absolutely love that the quandary of wanting cutting-edge VR, but needing to sell your soul to Facebook is tearing Asura apart.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I, for one, absolutely love that the quandary of wanting cutting-edge VR, but needing to sell your soul to Facebook is tearing Asura apart.
                        I'm glad it's making someone happy at least.

Comment

It's pure theatre.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            It is fun to watch

Originally posted by Asura
                            I generally dislike FB, but there are specifics in this case. I'm seeing a lot of reports online suggesting that if you suddenly start using a Quest 2, when you don't really have much on your profile - i.e. you don't post loads of stuff about your life, you don't add many people, you don't have your phone number listed, you have the privacy options cranked up - that FB is quite likely to block your account as "suspiscious", and you can only reverse this by sending them your driving license or something, and even then, they've apparently been quite difficult about it. The point here is that it's true, they're trying to stop sockpuppet accounts - but it's also clear that if you're this sort of person, Facebook doesn't want you as a customer and would prefer you didn't bother.

In that scenario, you can end up with a headset you can't even use

That is demented.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              That is demented.
                              It's emblematic of the change. It wasn't just about moving account data or sign-in method; it's about FB making Oculus something that serves their ends of giving Facebook a new space to reach, gather info about people, influence and advertise.

This is similar to when Sony made Playstation Home; people think that was a flop but really it wasn't, because all of the billboard ads in the virtual spaces were for Sony products and all the clips at the virtual movie theatre were for Sony movies. They were effectively creating a space in which they could advertise for free.

Comment

Yeah, I get that. I just think it's a really bad call. There are two groups of people that having a Facebook account is no good for:

1) Children (who aren't old enough to use Facebook)

2) Nerds (who tend to hate Facebook)

That's the two key audiences for the Quest!

I feel like their work to block sockpuppet accounts on FB, which is an entirely separate endeavour to Oculus, has come and tripped right over it because a whole bunch of their customers aren't on FB and are having to create accounts just to use it.

Really poorly thought through IMO. They should've seen this coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X