Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, there's this community-made tool:

Changelog: Add preliminary FFR support in games which render the eye textures separately vrperfkit will try and guess when the game is rendering which eye if the default guess does not work, the ...

It allows you to use nVidia Image Scaling in VR.

In practice, NIS renders your game at a lower resolution, then blows it up like a Photoshop filter and does a smart-sharpen pass. It causes games to look - well, like you'd expect, in screenshots - but when playing, you get an enormous performance boost, which can make it worth it.

I was able to drop my render-res to 720p and use NIS for Half-Life Alyx, and as a result, I'm able to render the game in a pretty solid 90fps wirelessly to my Quest2 via Virtual Desktop, and it runs fantastically well - whereas previously, it was playable but a bit uneven, running at 60 but dropping when things got busy.

Definitely recommend people check this out.

Comment

^^^ or Radeon scaling. This isn’t nvidia magic

Works quite well.

Someone got openxr working in DCS for WMR headsets. No more steamvr layer needed! It’s sooooo much better now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        ^^^ or Radeon scaling. This isn’t nvidia magic
        as it's a fan-made tool, I didn't want to big up AMD functionality as I've only tested the nVidia one.

Comment

Gotcha. There is no nvidia one or amd one though. It’s just the one thing that works with everything. Everyone wins!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Gotcha. There is no nvidia one or amd one though. It’s just the one thing that works with everything. Everyone wins!
            Oh good to know. I knew both cards did it but I didn't realise they used the same tech.

I know this isn't one of the more advanced versions like DLSS.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              I just received these:

They have an elastic band which goes over your knuckles that means you can fully open your hand without dropping the controller. Going to try them tonight with Alyx.
              Just came back to post about this; these are a fantastic investment if you play a lot of VR.

I just got to the first part of Alyx where you have to use grenades (I restarted the game a couple of weeks back) and the very first time you have to throw a grenade through an air vent, back when I didn't have these a year or so ago I used up so many grenades; this time around I nailed it first-time. Every throw is just so much more accurate.

This and the floormat cost me <£25 altogether and collectively they've made such a huge difference to VR.

Comment

If you've been hankering for more quality VR action to shove your face into, there's a good chance you might find somet…

Meta Quest showcase reveals, notable absence of San Andreas VR

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  https://www.eurogamer.net/heres-ever...aming-showcase
                  Meta Quest showcase reveals, notable absence of San Andreas VR
                  Not a bad selection. The Resi update looks nice. Bonelab will be day one for me on PCVR

Comment

Not sure how many people played the Half Life Alyx Return to Rapture levels, but the second set has just been released. Only an hour in but this wiped the floor with most full price games imo.
                    Part 1 trailer -

Part 2 trailer -
                    Last edited by huxley; 23-04-2022, 13:35.

Comment

So many amazing custom levels on the workshop now for Alyx.
                      This one is upcoming in Q3 and looks very polished

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
                        So many amazing custom levels on the workshop now for Alyx.
                        This one is upcoming in Q3 and looks very polished
                        I'm still trying to get through the base game on my 2nd go

I've finally passed where I was on my last playthough (just got up to the chapter called "Arms Race").

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          I'm still trying to get through the base game on my 2nd go

I've finally passed where I was on my last playthough (just got up to the chapter called "Arms Race").
                          Are you taking Mr Gnome Chomsky along with you?

Comment

According to a report by The Information, Meta plans to release four new VR headsets by 2024, and that’s purportedly in addition to its AR devices. The Information reporters Sylvia Varnham O’Regan and Mathew Olson say they’ve seen an internal roadmap that shows an aggressive rollout of new VR headsets by Meta. “By 2024,” the report …

Reportedly, within the next 2 years.... *sigh* Meta... plans to launch 4 new headsets. The first is said to be coming September 2022 and will be a high end headset with a successor of sorts landing in 2024. Sandwiched between those next year and the year after will be two new Quest models.

If the software is there I could be tempted by PSVR2 but looking at how software in general is handled for VR more generally I don't think I feel there's enough need to warrant paying out for more Quest headsets.

Comment

Hope this conversation makes it to completion

Comment

Steam VR Bundle on fanatical at the mo which might be worth a look - Arizona Sunshine, Zero Calibre and Contractors defo worth picking up for £14: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-an...our-own-bundle

Comment

Working...
                                X