No announcement yet.

Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a great example of how crap tech journalism is today, too.

I use InoReader as an RSS aggregator, so I have a bunch of the major tech, gaming & VR outlets (as well as some regular news) that I can read like something of an unfiltered firehose of news, and it's really transparent when you do that, how much of "news" is just people parroting press releases, or repeating something written on another news site.

But that's because too many of these businesses do all of their "reporting" without leaving a desk.

Comment

Charging issues on the Quest 3 still not resolved for a lot of people, Latest update caused an issue with the USB sensor incorrectly telling users they have dust in the USB port and not letting them charge it. This is happening with new units using the standard charging cable so isn't a third party cable problem like with the quest two melting port issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
        https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest..._people_after/

Charging issues on the Quest 3 still not resolved for a lot of people, Latest update caused an issue with the USB sensor incorrectly telling users they have dust in the USB port and not letting them charge it. This is happening with new units using the standard charging cable so isn't a third party cable problem like with the quest two melting port issue.
        This may have been happening on Quest 2 as well. I have a Quest 2 for Development and my unit stopped liking my USB-A > USB-C Cable so it was impossible to use reliably last week to link to my PC.

If it is a widespread Quest 3 problem, makes sense it may have been on Quest 2? And then makes my frustration last week make more sense!

Comment

VR is always a pita. When my GPU driver upgrades DCS gets choppy. The solution is to fo ce DCS to use steam vr, run DCS, quite, force it to use openxr and then all.is well again. Why? Who knows, and nobody cares. At some point WMR will just stop working and Microsoft won't care and that'll be that I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
            Software is generally proving to be an issue for Meta; this is one of the more notable examples, but there are many aspects of the Quest OS/software that are lacking.

It's a good reminder that even with all the money and will in the world, ultimately these devices are made by people, and you need the right people with the right knowledge. You can't just brute-force your way through. It's immediately evident what was kind already obvious; that there are some critical people at Apple with some critical UX skills that Meta ultimately lacks.

That and testing. I can't believe an issue like this left the factory. Admittedly, I know why; it's because there's a more severe error where the USB port of the Quest can overhead and burn/melt the port, and presumably they're trying to get ahead of that (apparently though the reason this isn't bigger news is that it has yet to cause an injury, it's extremely rare in the range of 1-2 in a million units and apparently is shared with other high-powered USB-c devices).

Comment

I doubt this is helped by using cheap USB-C cables but it's not on the consumer, USB-C is complex and loads of them don't conform to standard - more critical when USB-C can deliver quite a high level of power. The wider issue of no longer providing chargers in the box with many devices compounds that.

The Quest 3 does come with a 18W charger, but this is a wider issue generally, can't say I've had this on any USB-C device I own, but I don't remove the cables from the sockets very often - I have small extension which I have tied to the straps, plug the cables in an out of those to avoid stress on the sockets.

Comment

Meta extends promotion: Anyone who buys a Meta Quest 3 by June 30, 2024 will receive the VR role-playing game Asgard's Wrath 2 for free.

Asgards Wrath II offer extended to end of June for Quest 3

Comment

Got an email from Meta this morning

Notice to Quest 1 Developers
                  As we announced last year, we are implementing important changes to Quest 1. Beginning on April 30, 2024, we will discontinue support for new Quest 1 apps. This means that new apps created after this date cannot list Quest 1 as supported hardware
                  So Quest 1 is EOL.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      So Quest 1 is EOL.
                      Not too surprised. I think the Quest 2 will be supported for much longer, but the jump between them was so huge, and the difference in sales was so massive. The Q1 will still have life as a PCVR headset (which, anyone still using it was probably using it for anyway).

Comment

Meta Quest 3 Lite: everything we know about the rumored cheap VR headset (msn.com)
                        If the Quest 3S is as suggested we might see software begin to shift more toward Quest 3 for beefier new releases over late 2025/2026. It'd be interesting to see something push the headset more though after taking a few months off Quest 3 and then returning to it in the last week there's absolutely no way peeps should be swayed into taking the Fresnel option again

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            Ultimate Swing Golf
                            Looks good, but it'll need to be pretty special. Walkabout Mini Golf and Golf+ are already two of the most celebrated games on the platform. It's a genre of game on Quest I consider pretty 'sewn up', so I'll be interested to see what they're doing with it.

Comment

I guess that's a good thing, though, right? Like it's cool that there are genres now where you've got multiple legitimately good options.

Looking at this it looks like an adaptation of Easy Come, Easy Golf (née Clap Hanz Golf) on mobile and Switch, which is itself of course an adaptation of Everybody's Golf.

EG, EG is a solid game - I've been playing it on iPhone recently (I always think golf games work well on mobile), and I think this version looks like it will offer something in between Golf+'s real life courses and Walkabout Mini Golf's more fantasy-led approach.

I would say that this is Clap Hanz continuing their trend of absolutely terrible game names though. Ultimate Swing Golf sounds like it was generated by ChatGPT!

Comment

it looks utterly devoid of charm, like the gameloft version of everybody’s golf.

why do avatars have to be floating bodies with no legs on everything on quest is it some sort of law on quest.

Comment

Working...
                                X