Autumn of Nintendo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumn of Nintendo

It should be no surprise, this is the fourth and last season I'm going to run and after one series and two consoles we reach what is personally my last big backlog. This is more open than those that went before in that it covers Nintendo more generally rather than a specific format though the primary focus here is the Wii. That's because thanks to backwards compatibility and virtual console there's a multitude of formats titles to play. Even one or two playable via WiiU too.

I'm going to pick my way through what I have still around for the Wii, anyone fancy one last season down memory lane to try and rediscover that old Nintendo magic?

With the number of Wii games sat unplayed on shelves I would love to.

However, I'm going to break out and play a DS game that I bought a few months back that I've regretted not getting into right away - Houkago Shounen. From the same people that gave us the BokuNatsu games, this is something of a look back to the 50th Year of the Shouwa era (a.k.a. 1975) and the life of a young boy trying to occupy himself during his much-anticipated summer holiday after having to move to a new town because of his father's work.

KONAMI(コナミ)の商品・サービスの最新情報をお伝えする公式サイトです。KONAMI(コナミ)では、人気コンテンツを様々な分野で多面的に展開し、IT技術を活用した独自性の高いエンタテインメントコンテンツを創出し続けることで、お客さまのあらゆる生活場面でお楽しみ頂ける商品・サービスを提供いたします。

Comment

I think the most eye opening thing is going to be the choice, even setting VC aside there's a fair few games on the system considering its reputation for endless shovelware. I've got everything set up ready and a stock of batteries so the playthroughs are ready to begin

Comment

Originally posted by kryss
        However, I'm going to break out and play a DS game that I bought a few months back that I've regretted not getting into right away - Houkago Shounen. From the same people that gave us the BokuNatsu games, this is something of a look back to the 50th Year of the Shouwa era (a.k.a. 1975) and the life of a young boy trying to occupy himself during his much-anticipated summer holiday after having to move to a new town because of his father's work.
        I recall importaku talking about this one. Looks great.

CTN - make sure you play through Trauma Team and round up some friends/family for some games of You Don't Know Jack and Fortune Street. The latter is probably the best digital boardgame ever imo. Love it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there's a Trauma Team entry lying around here somewhere and Fortune Street possibly. The Wii has been out of action for so long now I'm finding it hard to decide where to start. I'm thinking loose disc pile first which includes my GC games.

Comment

Well, I've started. Going with the loose disc pile first in whatever order they come and first title out the gate is Cruis'n, the arcade racer that was Fast and Furious that was Cruis'n anyway. It's uber simple but as far as the series goes not that bad. The only real sticking point is the ever bad idea tilt based steering, I'm getting reaclimatised to it though. Retro vibes off this one lol

Comment

Also gave SSX Blur a quick run but instantly don't get on with the motion controls of that at all. I'm not going to replay Twilight Princess as it wasn't the greatest entry and I know I have Skyward and Wind Waker HD down the line. So, already the remainder of my loose disc pile is Gamecube titles, so I've hooked up my never used Wii White Gamecube pad. Sweet jesus the GC pad feels good to hold. Next time I put the Wii on I'll be starting on a playthrough of... Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader!

Comment

Love the GameCube pad! Still feels great now.

Comment

It's literally just the C stick thats a strain with it but even then I can cope with it. The only pad I think I've ever struggled with that Nintendo has made is tje Wii's classic controller, just always felt like a cheap Snes 3rd party knock off to me

Comment

Originally posted by CTN
                    I'm pretty sure there's a Trauma Team entry lying around here somewhere

Trauma Team is the most recent game in the Trauma Centre series deffo the one to play. Second Opinion is really average and New Blood, while good, is not a patch on Trauma Team imo.

Comment

Before I play it and it potentially shows its age...

Doesn't it look purdy

Comment

Very pretty game, absolutely no substance at all, fairly fun though.

Comment

Rebel Strike owns Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader.

Comment

Got that somwhere too I think but I remember not being as big a fan of Strike as it gave half the game up to bad on foot sections.

Comment

It had the whole of Rogue Leader as a co-op game. That in itself was pretty sweet. Or of course you could play as the Empire and try to stop whoever

Comment

Working...
                              X