Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will they remove this gen? Or will they start adding things in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What will they remove this gen? Or will they start adding things in?

Guesses as to what Sony and MS will decide to remove this time around.

Didn't want this thread in the hype forum though...

Last gen we had removal of Linux and BC and specific apps that they decided didn't fit in with their overall masterplan. Anything else?

However, they did add things (more apps).

This time, they seem to be removing everything before the start so at least you know before purchasing (CD audio, DLNA, the privacy right to not be observed in your own home by a scary camera).

MS did the U-turn, but could they Uturn again after 3 years and say "piracy is too damaging - we are locking this sheet down"?

They'll remove backwards compatibility.

Oh wait...

Comment

One thing they need to add/change is making games on their online stores cheaper (that goes to Nintendo too). Paying extra for a digital copy I can't sell on or share afterwards seems silly. Make it cheaper than retail stores and it may tempt me.

Comment

Apparently the PS3 will have automatic firmware updates without PS+ now. Pretty neat.

@Fader: I totally agree. I think there are many people that don't care about resale value or paying full RRP unfortunately so that option will probably remain unchanged - unless there isn't an appropriate response. The sheer size of these games may make a physical disc more appealing though.. Unless the entire game is installed to the HDD by default anyway. I haven't gone over that stuff yet..

Comment

I don't think the pricing is too bad, they launch too high but I can understand that. I wish sale prices were permanent reductions though I bought Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition for ?4.49 (the whole game not just the expansion) and when I bought Portal 2 it was ?8.99 yet today both are ?19.99 and there's a few things I know have previously had massive discounts (Limbo, Dishonored) that put me in the annoying position of deciding if I was going to wait for it to come around on sale again or just get the physical release.

Also not sure why buying via XBL/PSN/eShop doesn't give you all the future DLC included as an incentive.
          Last edited by Pikate; 08-11-2013, 14:01.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita
            Unless the entire game is installed to the HDD by default anyway. I haven't gone over that stuff yet..

They are indeed. The included HDD should last for a good 8 games lol.

Unfortunately that won't happen Pikate. Sales are a great way of stimulating demand precisely because of their limited nature. It makes you buy stuff you would've put to the back of your mind because you think 'I should buy it now otherwise it'll cost me twice as much'.

Comment

Yeah I know, just throwing out hopes and wishes

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                Last gen we had removal of Linux and BC and specific apps that they decided didn't fit in with their overall masterplan. Anything else
                360 is BC with most of Xbox games and Wii is completely BC with Cube games. First PS3's also had PS2 BC. And DS could play GBA games.

Comment

PS2 BC was pretty terrible with the PS3 though.

Comment

Irrelevant. All consoles actually had BC to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
                      360 is BC with most of Xbox games and Wii is completely BC with Cube games. First PS3's also had PS2 BC. And DS could play GBA games.
                      Almost none of the xbox games I actually want to play are BC.

Comment

That's bad luck then as most games are BC. Sure, it's not perfect but then again how many consoles have had perfect BC?

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
                          That's bad luck then as most games are BC. Sure, it's not perfect but then again how many consoles have had perfect BC?
                          Nintendo's consoles? At least I never heard of anything bad.

Comment

I just couldn't get Nintendo cartridges working in my Gamecube, maybe I was doing it wrong.

Comment

Nintendo even added Game Boy and GBA backwards compatibility to the gamecube that's how damn on the ball Nintendo were/are with BC.

Look at that bad boy, work of art that is.

As for adding or removing I would be surprised if any of the companies remove stuff.
                              Reckon Sony and MS are safe with adding new things as the RAM is more than enough to handle new OS updates and new software added to the consoles.
                              Honestly can't predict what they will add other than Apps for TV, Movies and Music.

Comment

Working...
                              X