Xbox One Optical Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox One Optical Out

Now hardware reviews are out, it has been revealed that the X1's S/PDIF port only outputs stereo and DTS, so unless your current gen surround headphones decode DTS, you're stuck with stereo.

So much for my Turtle Beach X41 still being useful.

Out of all the u-turns and things we're now finding out, this has annoyed me the most.

Buy next gen Battlefield, but get very old audio.

Is this not something they can fix with a patch? Seems a dumb move.

Comment

Originally posted by Synthesthesia View Post
      Is this not something they can fix with a patch? Seems a dumb move.
      Manufacturers need to licence Dolby Digital 5.1 so I don't think so.

This seems like a stupid move, what about TV shows broadcast-ed in Dolby 5.1 on a cable box and plugged into the HDMI in? you only get Stereo out the HDMI?

Does it not have a Dolby True HD decoder on board? dumb ass move if it decodes true HD but can't down mix to Dolby 5.1. In which case it would be a software patch as the licence to Dolby has been paid.

I think......

Comment

But it's 'the one'?

Comment

Ps4 just got announced to have some world first support for some new variant of DTS, I wonder if DTS have moneyhatted the consoles

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            Ps4 just got announced to have some world first support for some new variant of DTS, I wonder if DTS have moneyhatted the consoles
            They can't have surely? I know of no decent Blu Ray player that does not have a licence for both. Some Blu Ray Discs are recorded in Dolby True HD (downmixed to Dolby 5.1 if no HD decoder present) ala Star Trek into the Darkness the latest off the top of my head.

Are we saying Movie Studios that choose to produce their mix with Dolby will be outputted in Stereo through the one and PS4?

EDIT:-
            PS4 does both DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD via HDMI, check the logos. This means they will be down mixed to DTS and Dolby 5.1 if being outputted by the optical.

EDIT again: PS3 has always been able to decode & output Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio through the HDMI into a respective AV receiver for maximum acoustic pleasure! The new standard on the PS4 means it can understand this uncompressed audio from streaming services, whereas before it was only available on Blu Ray discs.

Edit again +1:
            It has been revealed that there is no Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound support on the Xbox One’s optical out port. There is a “Surround Sound (BETA)” option, however, but Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound is downgraded to stereo through the optical port. Users who have surround sound headsets might want to be wary of this issue.
            Or take my peculiar AV setup: I like to play games and watch movies with an Astro surround-sound headset, which decodes Dolby 5.1 audio from an optical input cable. However, the Xbox One is currently only able to output stereo and DTS Digital through its optical output. My headphone receiver can’t read DTS Digital, so I have to output in stereo, and my surround headphones turn into regular old headphones.
            The issue is also prevalent when using your cable box with your Xbox One. The audio that comes out from using the console is downgraded to stereo format. Microsoft has stated that a non-beta option for surround sound audio output will be available soon, but not at launch. Surround sound is rather important to many people, especially to gamers who want to fully immerse themselves in their gaming experience. A lack of proper Dolby 5.1 will make that somewhat difficult. For those who aren’t affected by this can continue to enjoy their games and movies as is.

PS4 seems like the best AV device...oh wait no DLNA or MP3 support. Xbox one then....Oh wait no 5.1 pass through on the HDMI IN :-
            Support for digital surround sound from your cable or satellite box is currently available as a beta. By default, only stereo sound will be received.
            Follow these steps to enable digital surround sound:
            1. From Home, say “Xbox, go to Settings” or select the Settings tile from My games & apps.
            2. Select TV & OneGuide.
            3. Select Troubleshooting.
            4. Select the Surround Sound (BETA) option.

Note Your Xbox One can produce digital surround sound for games and Blu-ray or DVD movies. Only the digital audio pass-through from your cable or satellite box is in beta.

Last edited by 'Press Start'; 20-11-2013, 20:46.

Comment

I'm considering returning my console over this, as using headphones is the best choice with my set up.

Pay more for a new console with less basic features than the old.

Nice of Microsoft to not mention this at any point, including when they were responding to all the banter about existing headsets not being compatible with the controller and all the talk about chat cable adapters.

If I could buy one of the new X1 TB sets at launch, then I would be less irritated about it.

Comment

Some of the turtle beach headsets and the licensed Polk products connect via optical, so I suspect their release next year is due to the Xbox itself not being ready just yet.

But I guess that means we can expect it at some point, seems like a stupid thing to neglect. I understand the pass through bit might be tricky, but for game/movie output it's stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
                  I'm considering returning my console over this, as using headphones is the best choice with my set up.

Pay more for a new console with less basic features than the old.

Nice of Microsoft to not mention this at any point, including when they were responding to all the banter about existing headsets not being compatible with the controller and all the talk about chat cable adapters.

If I could buy one of the new X1 TB sets at launch, then I would be less irritated about it.
                  I know it's not ideal, but you could just use stereo until the new sets are out couldn't you?

I think I'm getting some Astro A50's and they work with DTS so I should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                    Some of the turtle beach headsets and the licensed Polk products connect via optical, so I suspect their release next year is due to the Xbox itself not being ready just yet.

But I guess that means we can expect it at some point, seems like a stupid thing to neglect. I understand the pass through bit might be tricky, but for game/movie output it's stupid.
                    Neither Polk or the new TB headsets connect via Optical. They actually just connect into the new controller data port for voice & game audio.

Comment

According to Albert Panello, DD 5.1 over optical is missing due to a "software scheduling issue" and it will be added sometime after launch.

The 360 has had this feature for eight years, how much notice do you need.

This has ruined my launch and Battlefield 4 X1 excitement.

Comment

Dolby Digital is coming post launch. This was a SW scheduling issue pure and simple, and I know people are disappointed, but we will have it.

Anyone with an HDMI receiver should be fine, as we pass the uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 through HDMI as well as DTS. Even if you have a Dolby only HDMI receiver (which I'm not sure exists), you will still get 5.1 or 7.1 sound since those receivers should accept uncompressed surround.

For the Dolby only headsets, my understanding is that these will work but you will only get stereo audio since we only pass Stereo and DTS through the optical port. I have not tested this myself, but I'm told it works. Regardless, I understand this is an inconvenience, but again we're going to have Dolby coming.

This is unrelated to the HDMI-IN "Surround Sound" beta. To clarify, we default HDMI-IN audio to be converted to Stereo. However, we do have a feature you can access in TV settings/Troubleshooting that enables Surround Sound in "beta" form. If you check the box, and you get Surround, you're golden. We found some inconsistencies in STB's during testing and decided to disable it by default to insure a good initial setup experience for people.
                        That's the full quote

Comment

Working...
                        X