Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just what was the best looking Console of last Gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just what was the best looking Console of last Gen?

Well, obv! it was a PS3 incarnation, but which model, I've owned a few revisions inc the super slim 12GB (which I soon got shot of, hated the disk drive mechanism)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ps...imgdii=_&imgrc=_

Just because I re-bought the 80GB original model. the console is beautiful.

If no one uploads better pics, i'll do some before the weeks out. The PS3 original console. love.

Honestly? I don't like how any of them looked. If someone strapped me into an electric chair and forced me to answer though I guess I would have to go for the Wii.

The OG PS3 is just a glossy phat mess, the "slim" has a larger footprint than the phat (wtf?) and the super slim, which while quiet and cool running just feels kinda not so good - compared to the mighty phat PS2.

Less said about 360s the better..
    Last edited by speedlolita; 07-02-2014, 00:30.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you. the original ps3 is beautiful.

Comment

I think the awful PS2 BC and hardware unreliability cloud my judgement.

EDIT: Do handhelds count?

I really like how the DSi looks.
        Last edited by speedlolita; 07-02-2014, 00:37.

Comment

The original PS3 looks tacky as hell, there was no good looking consoles last gen. The only reason i got a slim was the fact it wasn't shiny & hides well under the tv i can barely see it as both the tv stand & tv are black which is a good thing lol.

Comment

I'm looking at a 80gb right now, which incidentally was my original purchase from play, I think its beautiful.

Comment

Isn't that the one with the satin finish? Chrome always looked better to me, with the panel that flipped up to reveal SD card and compact flash slots as well as 4 USB ports (instead of 2 like the one with satin finish).

Comment

I had the 20gb Japanese model at launch. I preferred the look of it to the 60gb chrome model. Didn't have the card slots though. Proper BC for all games was spot on aswell. It died and has now been replaced with a super slim. It's sliding disc tray is probably the worst design I've ever seen, just awful.

Comment

It's "awful" but it's better than your blu-ray drive failing and eating your disc. In terms of just playing PS3 games I've no desire to swap it out.

The 20GB was nice in that it had the black trim though. You should have gotten that re-balled - would have been worth it.

EDIT: I just realised that my SCPH-90003 has remarkably similar styling to that of my super slim PS3. That's kinda neat I guess. This is the slim machine with half of the top having a glossy finish and an internal PSU.
                  Last edited by speedlolita; 07-02-2014, 01:16.

Comment

Yea definitely a case of function over form. Gets the job done with no chance of chewing up discs.

Comment

That original ps3 with the chrome front is ugly. I quite like the slim though.

Comment

Silly me, I think it looks gorgeous. Still as they say, there's no accounting for taste
                        *looks at PS3* Yes - Love the design!

Comment

The Wii.

Comment

I don't understand, which console do you think looks best ShadowDancer?

I liked the design of the OG 360. Vertical only though - it looked awful horizontal. The off white and green was a nice combo and the 'sucked in cheeks' looked cool. I didn't like it so much in any of the other colours they released. The slim 360 looked naff with its 'go faster' grills on either side.

The Wii was nicely minimalist, although the vertical stand made it look a bit silly. Horizontal worked better. It was a clear ploy by Nintendo for the most mum-friendly design possible, but the blue disc light jazzed things up.

The PS3 was a bit all over the place. The first version did look like a mighty obelisk of power at the time, but the choice of the Spiderman movie font was bizarre. Its giant bulge did make it look like an over-stuffed pillow, too. I much preferred the all-black 20GB version. The chrome on the premium versions of both the 360 and the PS3 were a bit of a crap touch really.

Overall, they all look a bit noughties and naff now. We need to wait 10 years and then they'll seem retro and much cooler.

EDIT: Forgot about the super slim PS3. I like this one. It's the proper size that games consoles should be (i.e. not similar girth to an out-of-town shopping centre) and it's a very nice return to the design language that defined the PS2. On the other hand, we have the first mechanical disc drive since the PS2! Sony you cheapskates. Still at least it's nostalgic I suppose
                            Last edited by wakka; 07-02-2014, 08:37.

Comment

I like the PS3 slim, though the "super" Slim was ruddy foul, cheap ****.

I'd probably actually pimp for the last iteration of the Xbox 360, I like boxy straight lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X