No announcement yet.

FPS Grinding for Unlocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe it's a crossover as multiplayer titles tried to attract the console gamers used to single player games where you level up and improve, which never used to be the focus of the genre. I mean look at Quake, you can jump straight to the final quarter of the game the first time you play it if you want - whereas some designers today would see that as bad design. I think unlocks can be fine if they just add new options to play rather than straight buffs but not many games seem to do that these days, people shouldn't win just because they've played the game longer and have better gear, they should win because they were better.

Comment

I usually get shot in the face within about 5 seconds anyway so I'm not really fussed on load outs

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        I miss the old rocket jump days. True 3D movement skills seems to have been lost. Although bit tough without mouse and keyboard and macro keys.

I hear that Rocket and strafe jumping are much missed.

Here's some ET for uber teamplay/headshot tracking goodness (the ting sounds are headshots, for those who never played ET):

And this is the problem - for people who grew up with the above, playing the current crop of CoD/BF shooters is like bowling with the inflatable bumpers up and that little rolling ramp the kids use.
        Last edited by H-Man; 27-02-2014, 17:56.

Comment

I've only played one game where I didn't mind and that was Killing Floor (co-op) where your level with a particular class dictates which difficulty you should set for the hordes.

I'm hating it atm with Crysis 2 in single player as I'm supposed to be this ultimate badass yet am hiding all the time and get shot to **** even in one on one fire fights across the city - it takes less damage to take me down than it does for me to take the enemy down so why do they even want the suit???

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          My most played FPS title is CS(S) where your load out is based on your performance overall roughly.
          Guess you must be pretty pro with the FAMAS then.

Comment

Working...
          X