Wii U overtakes Xbox 360 lifetime sales [In Japan]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wii U overtakes Xbox 360 lifetime sales [In Japan]

As a diehard Nintendo fan I am surprised by this - the machine has barely registered in the UK but the Japanese seem to love it, maybe its future isnt so grim after all.....

I wouldn't be too optimistic. 1,641,528 is really quite low given how long the WiiU has been available for. Overtaking the 360's lifetime sales in Japan doesn't take much doing. Nintendo forecasted 9 million by this point, and are still set to fall way below their 2.8 million reduced target.

The WiiU doesn't really have much market share in Japan, despite plenty of shelf space and shop floor presence. It's all about the 3DS.

Comment

I remember when I was there on my holidays last November there were tons of second hand ones available, I think every book off I was in had at least 6 in the cabinets.

I even saw one for ?15,000 (?88) in a store over there admittedly it was Unboxed and in used condition but if it wasn't for the suitcase being full I would have tried to stuff one in there (instead it was full of 2000 vita's , well 2 of them and a bottle of scotch)

Comment

Broken sarcasm detector?

Comment

Originally posted by m3evo View Post
          http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/2...x-360-in-japan

As a diehard Nintendo fan I am surprised by this - the machine has barely registered in the UK but the Japanese seem to love it, maybe its future isnt so grim after all.....

Nice deceptive headline

Not exactly hard for a non-Microsoft console to outsell a Microsoft console in Japan is it?

Comment

Don't worry, give it another few weeks and the ps4 will overtake the wiiU there as well.

Also, seems like a spam thread to me.

Comment

not a spam thread at all, just thought it was surprising that the 360 has been outsold by the generally poor performing Wii U

so whats the story with the 360 in Japan?

Comment

It didn't have a story. It was a US machine in a society that likes home-grown goods. It failed and MS pulled out of Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by m3evo View Post
                  not a spam thread at all, just thought it was surprising that the 360 has been outsold by the generally poor performing Wii U

so whats the story with the 360 in Japan?
                  Not surprising in the least, all iterations of Xbox have sold abysmally in Japan. Where as Wii U is poorly selling worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    It didn't have a story. It was a US machine in a society that likes home-grown goods. It failed and MS pulled out of Japan.
                    It didn't fail because it wasn't Japanese. It failed because it didn't appeal to that market for whatever reason. The Japanese happily buy Apple products in abundance!

Comment

Yes but Apple looks quite Japanese in design (its sleek and minimal) and there isn't really much like it. There is, but iPhone, iPad is always being treated as something different from the rest of the pack. Apple is also an outlier there. Plus, I could imagine that they don't like a Korean brand such as Samsung.

In case of the Xbox, the consumers always had a choice. They could also purchase a Wii or Ps3. And those 2 had much more Japanese games to offer. I think the Ps4 will fall down too, it doesn't have much for them and the initial software sales were alarming.

Comment

But Sony have an abundance of phones and tablets and they're actually really good, but the Japanese still choose Apple. I just don't think it's right to think of the Japanese as a nation who don't like products from non Japanese companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          But Sony have an abundance of phones and tablets and they're actually really good, but the Japanese still choose Apple. I just don't think it's right to think of the Japanese as a nation who don't like products from non Japanese companies.
                          Exactly, mass tastes are extremely hard to predict with devices. I think Japan just appreciates good design as a whole and apple is the perceived leader as far as a package is concerned. Google and MS are catching up though with some great all round devices.

Ps4 will be just fine. The big exclusives will come, plus with all these little indie games coming on a regular basis the future is looking very fun indeed.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 28-02-2014, 08:57.

Comment

I was purely thinking in the console arena. I think that the Xbox brand is failing there because it's not a Nintendo or a Sony.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              I was purely thinking in the console arena. I think that the Xbox brand is failing there because it's not a Nintendo or a Sony.
                              The xbox brand deff has that aura of, "we're not going to buy this, ever" in Japan. MS could probably buy every developer in Japan and the xbox would still tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X