Should I pour some love onto those dodgy Chinese Android handhelds [JXD]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a blue 32GB XD.

It is a strange feeling looking down at an incredible IPS screen on a machine that can run Dreamcast games at full speed, and the most demanding android games in it's stride. The strange feeling is that I can't believe GPD have delivered a device that beats Sony/Nintendo at their own game!

Anyway, it's very cheap and a tare down own dingoo boards suggest it may be made of crappy components, but for such a small price it's worth a go! My unit has no QA issues, but was from batch 2.

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
      I have a blue 32GB XD.

It is a strange feeling looking down at an incredible IPS screen on a machine that can run Dreamcast games at full speed, and the most demanding android games in it's stride. The strange feeling is that I can't believe GPD have delivered a device that beats Sony/Nintendo at their own game!
      That looks like a very nice bit of kit. I see the price is only 20,000 yen. About the same as a3DS LL. Are they really good to use?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        That looks like a very nice bit of kit. I see the price is only 20,000 yen. About the same as a3DS LL. Are they really good to use?
        There are lots of Youtubes and various views at the Dingoo forums.

I purchased from Willgoo who always test and burn in devices before sending, so my experience is of a fully working device with the same quality thumb sticks as a Wii U (At last!) GPD does have QA issues, so you should try and test it before purchasing if possible.

It also has a wonderful key mapping for Android games, like Blutrol so you can use physical controls, which was actually a main driver for me.

Comment

capcom, thou art the man. The point of this thread has finally been achieved, many thanks for brining this handheld to my attention.

What do you make of the Dreamcast emulation in general? I checked out the Ikaruga video and it looked quite slow, I'd mainly be using it from stuff like Shenmue II, Grandia II, Ikaruga + related shooters along with some Vanishing Point and and and - I could keep going...

Care to share some more thoughts on this interesting looking unit? Cheers

Also, did you have to pay any import duty and is there anything that can be done to remove those overlays on the screen that seem to look like touchscreen action buttons?
          Last edited by replicashooter; 23-09-2015, 19:27.

Comment

Am I right in thinking that I can use a standard Android tablet and a Bluetooth controller to run retro emulators?

Comment

You are right. Or you can go one better and get a USB OTG cable for your tablet to use regular USB controllers like Saturn pads or USB SNES converters. Unlike iOS, Android has the drivers for that sort of stuff.

Comment

will power draining...

EDIT.. I've just received ?100 in amazon vouchers as a leaving gift from work.. Need some confidence votes for the s7800B before I dive in.. Is it the faulty parts fest that it appears to be?
                Last edited by k0pp0; 05-10-2015, 19:50.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  You are right. Or you can go one better and get a USB OTG cable for your tablet to use regular USB controllers like Saturn pads or USB SNES converters. Unlike iOS, Android has the drivers for that sort of stuff.
                  I had an 8bitdo SFC30 Pro controller turn up today. Stunning!

Just need the tablet. Really like the look of the Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 8". Currently going for ?130 on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                    will power draining...

EDIT.. I've just received ?100 in amazon vouchers as a leaving gift from work.. Need some confidence votes for the s7800B before I dive in.. Is it the faulty parts fest that it appears to be?
                    Dropped the one I bought recently by a small height two weeks after I bought it, now useless as the power lead was plugged in and it smashed the connector inside the unit. Can't be powered or charged via usb which is just stupid. ?100 wasted.

Comment

Anyone tried running Jet Set Radio on the DC emulator on the GPD XD.

Comment

Got the 7800b turning up this week. The GPD XD looked good but the main perk seems to be the clam shell design and the added oomph to get slightly better DC emulation but the price difference offset it easily in the JXD's favour. Should hopefully let me catch some backlogue up away from home.

Comment

On the phone and the search didn't bring anything up.

Has anyone got one of these new k1 shield tablets? They look like they could be really good for emulation at a quick glance.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                            On the phone and the search didn't bring anything up.

Has anyone got one of these new k1 shield tablets? They look like they could be really good for emulation at a quick glance.
                            Yeah they are great, from what I tested. I had one since launch along with the Shield control pad and spent most my time on N64 and SNES. I also played MGS on PS1 for abit and it worked a treat also.

They sent me a brand new one as my original one is part of a faulty battery batch but I got it just sat in the box as I have had no problems. So support is pretty great for them it seems! XD

Comment

would you like to donate that replacement to a worthy cause for a small contribution?

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                                would you like to donate that replacement to a worthy cause for a small contribution?
                                Haha, I have been thinking about selling it. If I do I will let you know!

Comment

Working...
                                X