X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Engine 4 - $19 a month for everyone

Quite a move from Epic.
    Last edited by Brad; 26-03-2014, 09:29.

$19 a month but a 5% stake of any profits, good idea i suppose as it puts some very powerful tools in the hands of smaller dev's with no risk

Comment

The UDK terms were (and optionally still are) $100 up front then no costs until you reached $50,000 a year at which point it was a 25%, I think off net but need to double check that.

Epic have always been absolutely fantastic towards Indies, there's little reason to choose anything else frankly.

Comment

I've just paid for one month, so I'm going to bang out something awesome in that time frame and then cancel my subscription.

It's an FPS where you ARE the bullet!

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan James Waugh View Post
          Epic have always been absolutely fantastic towards Indies, there's little reason to choose anything else frankly.

Comment

But this is 5% gross, so making very little, we will still take your money, and making a fortune, we will take even more money. UDK is still the way to go for small indies.

Comment

Unity might have something to say about that ... Definitely the indie's choice currently.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
                But this is 5% gross, so making very little, we will still take your money, and making a fortune, we will take even more money. UDK is still the way to go for small indies.
                Either licensing option is a bargain to be honest. What Epic are offering would cost hundreds of thousands in development costs to even get close to what they offer in terms of engine performance, and that's without the extensive, robust tool set library.

It makes it possible for small teams to compete with the big guys in a way they simply couldn't before.

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
                Unity might have something to say about that ... Definitely the indie's choice currently.
                Unity isn't on the same level as Unreal in my opinion, and in terms of commercial success, which is what matters, for indies it's impossible to say whether Unity is the better option. I mean they even have some real commercial flops listed on their Showcase page for instance. A large part of their appeal came from the cross-platform support and as a lot of indies are discovering the mobile space isn't as profitable anymore.

Comment

Unity isn't on the same level as Unreal in my opinion, and in terms of commercial success, which is what matters, for indies it's impossible to say whether Unity is the better option. I mean they even have some real commercial flops listed on their Showcase page for instance. A large part of their appeal came from the cross-platform support and as a lot of indies are discovering the mobile space isn't as profitable anymore.
                  Don't get me wrong UDK is a fine environment for creating games, and there have been some absolutely cracking games released using it over the years, but Indie games? Nah .. Unity is where it is at currently, are Microsoft leveraging it for ID@Xbox .. nope its Unity, are Nintendo for the WiiU and (soon to be 3DS).. nope its Unity, Are Sony .. nope its Unity.

UDK is great for AAA games, and yeah Indie games can also be created with it, but the ball is definitely in Unity's court currently when it comes to the Indie scene.

Comment

Sony, Nintendo & Microsoft aren't pushing Unity, they are seriously courting devs & indies. And small start ups are choosing Unity cause it so much easier to work in, coding, ie scripts and stuff, wheres as UDK you need to make everything yourself. And thats why most apps and mobile stuff use Unity. Whereas AA or AAA will be using UDK as they are mostly more knowledgeable and better coders.

Comment

I'm working on a Unity thing right now. I don't code so can't really speaks of its benefits or drawbacks except to point out one thing: compression within Unity is seriously ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
                        Sony, Nintendo & Microsoft aren't pushing Unity,
                        Well considering Microsoft's whole ID@Xbox programme is using Unity, I would say they are.

Considering every WiiU dev kit that ships also includes a version of Unity, I would say they are.

Sony are not quite there with it yet that's true, but they still have a version of Unity for the PS3 and Vita.

The point being that Unity is being pushed in a big way to Indie's .. UDK is still there as well, just more for the big boys.

Comment

Working...
                        X