CVG Website facing closure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CVG Website facing closure

The link above talks about major shake ups on various future websites but could this also lead to the end or major changes of magazine's such as Edge, Gamesmaster and other future publications ?

That truly is very sad news if some of the publications go by the wayside. I absolutely love reading Edge and PC Gamer and my fav magazine by far is Gamesmaster. But in all honesty they really are too expensive nowadays, PC Gamer and the official mags are still ?6 and no longer have any demo disc hence I now only buy digitally on my ipad.

Comment

CVG is crap, they may have been ok as a magazine in the 80's/90's but as a website they sucked. Wont miss it when it goes.

Comment

when cvg changed design ages ago i stopped buying it (think it was when they stopped with the freeplay section in it )

Though i have to say i "think" it may have been the magazine that gave rise of the robots 90% though not sure

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
          when cvg changed design ages ago i stopped buying it (think it was when they stopped with the freeplay section in it )

Though i have to say i "think" it may have been the magazine that gave rise of the robots 90% though not sure
          Exactly the same for me. I loved CVG magazine in the 90s and bought it every month but when they changed the mag and removed freeplay from the center i totally went off it and within a few months of the change i stopped buying it. I think it was around 99/00. I actually visit the website almost daily and find it quite good for gaming news alongside Eurogamer.
          Last edited by Sam The Man; 17-05-2014, 22:30.

Comment

CVG stopped being readable in 1999 when they changed the design and also gradually changed the staff.

But today's CVG is completely unrelated to the EMAP-published CVG of old. It's published by Future now, after all.

Comment

I wonder if someone should start a games mag which is just like the Freeplay section from CVG. Really cheap paper, highly irreverent tone, less than a pound at the newsagent.

Comment

I worked on the same floor as CVG & Nintendo magazine back at EMAP in the late 90's fantastic days and guys

Comment

It would be sad from a point of view of the name and its history, but personally I am getting a bit fed up with gaming websites and their constant click baiting articles designed to stir up **** and advertising revenue.

It will be missed, but I still have a few mags from the late 80's early 90's. Unfortunately people don't buy magazines anymore, what would be the point.

Comment

Very sad, hope they turn it around and too many jobs aren't lost. Like most here grew up with memories of various publications (CVG, ACE, EDGE, SuperPlay etc.).

I still have a sub to EDGE delivered the old fashioned way, rather than read it on my tablet. I only recently cancelled a sub to Retro Gamer too.

Inevitable EDGE might be halted from publication or the brand become a online portal only, and it'll be sad day when that comes becuase I still think it's a great read after all this time.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
                      personally I am getting a bit fed up with gaming websites and their constant click baiting articles designed to stir up **** and advertising revenue.
                      I presume you're referring to Eurogamer?

Comment

CVG was awesome in the 90s. I remember when Official saturn finished and they switchrd my subscription to it. Didn't they have a newspaper style pull out in the middle to reduce printing costs?

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                          Thats so many sites now. Absolute dog**** web design.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                            Most gaming websites including CVG ..

Even non gaming websites get in on the act these days. Engadget is a perfect example. There are very few these days that just report news the old fashioned way, you know unbiased, there always has to be a slant one way or the other in order to rile people up. CVG isn't as bad but they still do it.

Comment

It will be difficult to see the CVG brand finally disappear after so many decades (even though the current CVG is only related in name). Gamesmaster is also surely one of the longest running existing print gaming publications and despite some rather dodgy review scores (Sonic 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga), not seeing them on the shelves anymore will be a shame.

Comment

Working...
                              X