Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubisoft to not release finished WiiU game ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubisoft to not release finished WiiU game ...

Until the WiiU base has increased ..

Apparently they have a finished product which they will not release ... Looks like Rayman all over again ..

TBH I think they have lost the plot over the WiiU, its not it has really bad sales figures, and considering they make a **** load of money on other platforms and franchises why should it matter.

Bonkers .. simply Bonkers
    Last edited by originalbadboy; 10-06-2014, 12:24.

That really is a pretty poor decision from Ubisoft. Fair enough the Wii U has not sold in massive numbers but there are certainly a good few million of so units out there. The worrying thing is if this starts a trend with EA following suit and it becomes the next Dreamcast with little to no third party support. Even Nintendo cannot go it alone without support. This could put Nintendo in a difficult situation.

Comment

It's just one game they aren't releasing for the moment, their more mainstream stuff is still coming but assumedly this is a new ip (assuming its not ZombiU2 given he mentions families) which given the low sales they get seems smart to wait. Given they've long since finished it, its a WiiU exclusive and they never announced it I'd be surprised if it's even a big game.

Comment

The thing is, it actually does have poor sale figures relative to other consoles. I'm not just trying to hate on the WiiU - I'm planning to buy one soon because of the amount of good games for it, but it is clearly a console positioned to best serve Nintendo themselves. They make a profit on the hardware, and there is a high attach rate of first party titles. No wonder Nintendo aren't panicking.

However, if you're a third party developer or publisher already having to support titles on the PS4, Xbox One and PC (all of which already have larger install bases than the WiiU), are perhaps also continuing to support the PS3 and 360 (again, install base) and might even have a few 3DS or Vita titles on the go, it's not a big surprise if a publisher feels they don't have the resources to spare - especially for exclusive games.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
          TBH I think they have lost the plot over the WiiU, its not it has really bad sales figures, and considering they make a **** load of money on other platforms and franchises why should it matter.
          Although I can understand why WiiU owners would be upset, this is a lot simpler to understand than some decisions that surprise consumers, surely? The money they make on other platforms isn't relevant to the discussion.

A game (one finished and several others near-finished, from what I'm reading online) had their development kicked at some point in the past when it seemed like releasing them would be a good idea. The games have been developed, and now in the current climate, Ubisoft are prepared to risk their development budget on a non-release, because if they do launch, the advertising budget to make those games profitable is too much an ask given the WiiU's install base and demographics.

Remember, they made colossal losses last-gen with titles like Red Steel 2 on the Wii, which were heavily advertised.

Comment

Adjusted the title of the thread as it was slightly misleading ..

However it does set a dangerous precedent ... Ubisoft are in essence saying they will evaluate each project as it comes. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't see watchdogs either. I can't see them supporting the WiiU for much longer if at all .. Watchdogs will probably be their last game if it gets released.

In the end if they are supporting the likes of the Vita and the 3DS and previous gen consoles there is no reason to not support the WiiU as well.

Comment

In the end if they are supporting the likes of the Vita and the 3DS and previous gen consoles there is no reason to mot support the WiiU as well.
              Actually, it seems pretty obvious why - both the 3DS and Vita have much larger install bases than the WiiU.

But I don't think they support those two platforms so heavily either.

Comment

Originally posted by sj33 View Post
                Actually, it seems pretty obvious why - both the 3DS and Vita have much larger install bases than the WiiU.

Id argue that the 3ds and vita have larger online sales potential than the wiiu too, 3ds with a larger instal base and apparently the vita devs do well through the store and its frequent sales, so theres that angle too.

If something is actually finished though, it makes no financial sense to withhold it.

Comment

I think the WiiU support is going to end regardless. Even as it stands it's mostly reliant on PS3/360 ports. With those systems clearly winding down this year Ubi etc will be pushed into the position of budgeting for bespoke WiiU versions if they want their games on the system which won't return the dedicated investment.

Comment

In the end if they are supporting the likes of the Vita and the 3DS and previous gen consoles there is no reason to not support the WiiU as well.
                    I can't follow that line of thinking at all; their only major Vita game I can think of was the Assassin's Creed title, and that got a PS3 release. Are there others?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I can't follow that line of thinking at all; their only major Vita game I can think of was the Assassin's Creed title, and that got a PS3 release. Are there others?
                      Rayman origins, Legends, assasins creed, child of light is also getting a cart release as well as download. I think the World War One game is also coming.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        Rayman origins, Legends, assasins creed, child of light is also getting a cart release as well as download. I think the World War One game is also coming.
                        Fair, but even so, those are all multiplatform. I assume the game that Ubi are holding back is an exclusive, which is part of the problem - hence the releases of Watch Dogs and Just Dance.

Comment

Originally posted by sj33 View Post

The Vita install base isnt that much higher than the WiiU's .

VGChartz - extensive game chart coverage, including sales data, news, reviews, forums, & game database for PS5, Xbox Series, Nintendo Switch & PC

The point is that with all the other hardware sales that they currently support they can afford to still support it. If they are supporting the Vita, which is in just as much trouble as the WiiU platform wise then I cant see the logic.

Comment

Second comment on that link sums it up really

Drusus Posted on 10th Jun 2014 at 11:44 AM BST
                            It's scum like this that brought the Dreamcast down. I hope the next time Ninty have a hugely successful console that they remember this. Ubisoft is being very short sighted.

Comment

The Vita install base isnt that much higher than the WiiU's .
                              The Vita has a pretty well-documented high attach rate, though - I'm sure there was an article recently which suggested on average, the attach rate for the Vita was something daft like 10 (comparatively, I think for the original Wii, it was closer to around 2). People who own them buy a range of games from a range of developers, many of them via PSN due to the comparative ease of Sony's store compared to Nintendo's (and it being more easily transferable).

Plus, those titles are a bit misleading. Assassin's Creed got a "big console" release as I stated. The other ones use that UbiArt framework which probably makes converting them to PS Vita comparatively easy now they've done the Rayman titles. Plus all those UbiArt games are ideally suited to digital storefronts like PSN, whereas Nintendo still haven't embraced digital in quite the same way (though admittedly they're doing a lot better on 3DS now than on prior machines).

Really, the Vita thing isn't a fair comparison. Ubi aren't releasing this mystery game because they don't think it'll make money; it's really that simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X