Rise of the Tomb Raider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The movement was just the same in terms of character movement and motions that wasn't totally redone inthe remake . Its one area Dead Space and the likes of Silent Hill 2 really outclassed all of the old RE games imo
    100% not true. You could move at any angle at any time, you no longer needed to turn, or walk backwards- in fact you couldn't move backwards anymore. This completely unbalanced the game and made it so that if you had made a mistake and ran into an ambush, you could immediately run back without any consequence. The speed may have been the same- but the turning circle was completely removed, and the lack of consequence to your speed unbalanced the game.

I find it funny how you mentioned that it took until Resi 4 to fix the issues, but the control/tank method is exactly the same - just from a different perspective, the only difference is aiming your shots- and you still couldn't move and aim at the same time. Using Silent Hill 2 as a reference to good controls is also madness.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
      Using Silent Hill 2 as a reference to good controls is also madness.
      I have to agree with this. I played SH2 and superb survival horror game though it is I remember it the PS2 analogue stick control system was awful. I went back to the d-pad which made the game play very much like the original and I always thought that was actually the way they intended you to play.

Same goes for the Core TRs, when they bought in analogue stick control with TR3 they got it wrong. Horribly spongy and loose, it played so much better using the d-pad on the PS. I often wondered if a lot of the complaints about the TR controls were due to people using the PS analogue sticks rather than the d-pad which, in the right hands, is capable of subtleties and a preciseness of movement that is much more difficult when using the sticks.

Weirdly the PC(with joypad) and later DC TR versions all play well when using analogue stick controls. However in the case of the PC I often find myself returning to the d-pad for particularly difficult jumps. So familiar and comfortable is it that I then continue playing whole sections of the game not even noticing that I've swapped the control method.
      Last edited by fallenangle; 12-11-2015, 01:11.

Comment

100% not true. You could move at any angle at any time,
        The movements was just the same . It wasn't until RE4 that the game was really made with only analogue controls in mind

Using Silent Hill 2 as a reference to good controls is also madness
        Its far from the best controlling game, but at least the team went with analogue control. None of the RE games have really controlled that great to say somthing like Dead Space

Same goes for the Core TRs, when they bought in analogue stick control with TR3 they got it wrong. Horribly spongy and loose, it played so much better using the d-pad on the PS
        To me that more becasue the game was still being made with digital controls in mind (most prob for the biggest userbase) . One can play NiGHTS in Digital, but its a better game in analogue

Comment

What are you talking about? The revised control scheme in REmake HD allowed you to move in any direction at any time with its new "modern" control scheme. Resi 4 also required a run button to be held and didn't have full analogue control- the controls were essentially the same but from an over the shoulder perspective. I'm going to stop replying to you know because I genuinely don't think you know what you are arguing about, and it'll get me nowhere.

Comment

What are you talking about? The revised control scheme in REmake HD
            I'm on about the CUBE version which was the 'remake'.

Resi 4 also required a run button to be held and didn't have full analogue control- the controls were essentially the same but from an over the shoulder perspective
            Gears of War needs to a run button to be held and RE 4 started to mark when the series started to go analogue but its far from perfect

Comment

Right. Different games have different control schemes.
              We have differences in opinion with which one we prefer.

Sorted.

Back on topic now please, chums!

Comment

Resident 4 is without doubt a classic that never gets old. 10/10

Comment

I got it today and really loving it.Graphics are very nice and really good sound

Comment

So this sold less than 60k units across both Xbox consoles?

Ouch! Hope that cheque SE got for exclusivity was worth it.

Comment

The exclusivity helped no one. It was supposed to go up against Uncharted which was delayed anyway, and it would have happily sold decent numbers on both formats if released on both now.

Of course, knowing that it will be released on PS4 ahead of time means it's probably not a system seller right now- and being released at the same time as Fallout was silly too. A January launch like the DE probably would have helped.

I hope this doesn't effect Crystal Dynamics at SE, because we know how "disappointed" they were with sales for the original- even with the exclusivity- they must have expected more ?
                      Last edited by MrKirov; 16-11-2015, 10:55.

Comment

One does that include digital sales, as i bought it off the store, so ok not from the uk store but does it count those sales.

also why release when Fallout 4 is out , crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                          So this sold less than 60k units across both Xbox consoles?

Ouch! Hope that cheque SE got for exclusivity was worth it.
                          Is that sales in the UK, Europe, the US or worldwide?

Its not a great number of sales but hopefully they will gain momentum as owning and playing the game over the weekend, its quite good.

Hopefully more people will pick it up leading to Christmas otherwise Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix could learn a painful lesson from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                            Is that sales in the UK, Europe, the US or worldwide?

Its not a great number of sales but hopefully they will gain momentum as owning and playing the game over the weekend, its quite good.

Hopefully more people will pick it up leading to Christmas otherwise Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix could learn a painful lesson from this.
                            Europe.

Comment

Good news for those who were enraged by the timed exclusivity - publishers might be a bit more cautious about signing deals like this in the future. I'm guessing these figures are far below what was projected.

Comment

Amazing game this, more of the same, only a bit better

Comment

Working...
                                X