Google Cardboard (It's cheap VR thing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Cardboard (It's cheap VR thing)

Saw this last night on Engadget or somewhere and promptly forgot about it, reminded when it popped up on Eurogamer today, shame it doesn't work with Sony phones yet, would love to give it a try

Move over Morpheus. On your bike Oculus Rift. Google has revealed a cheap but functioning VR alternative which requires little more than a cardboard box and an Android phone.

Google Cardboard is the company's slightly tongue-in-cheek attempt at bringing VR to a wider audience - those who don't want to buy expensive hardware or wait around for the price of such devices to become cheaper.

The device itself can be made out of any sturdy cardboard, with Velcro straps and an elastic band needed for keeping your phone safe. You'll also need a small magnet and a pair of 40mm lenses - components which Google says you can pick up for about ?20 via Amazon.
    Linkage
    Move over Morpheus. On your bike Oculus Rift. Google has revealed a cheap but functioning VR alternative which requires…

Even Google is getting in on the virtual reality game. At the end of the search giant's I/O 2014 keynote, Sundar Pichai announced that everyone in attendance would get a nondescript cardboard package, but was coy about its contents. Turns out, it's the firm's attempt at a do-it-yourself VR headset. You can use household materials to build one, and a rubber band to hold your smartphone in place on the front of the device. Assembly instructions, plans and links for where to source the needed parts (like lenses) -- as well as an SDK -- are available on the project's website. Have a few pizza boxes lying around? So long as they're from an extra-large pie, Google says they'll work, too. Mountain View hopes that by making the tech inexpensive (unlike offerings from, say, Oculus), developers will be able to make VR apps that hit a wider audience. For now, the list of fully supported phones includes the Google Nexus 4 and 5, the Moto X, Samsung Galaxy S4 and S5 and, oddly enough, the original Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Can't remember where but I posted something similar a while back. There are apps on google play. I tried the roller coaster. Pretty impressive and uses the gyro in the phone for head tracking

Comment

Not seen that Google Google cardboard though

Comment

what i want to know is why aren't google selling the kits, a fold out mailing pack with lenses and stuff in would be a fantastic publicity stunt and show how vr could work.

Comment

Think someone was selling a set of everything needed on ebay but they sold out within a few hours. Making the all important cardboard bit doesn't look like a doddle.
          Will take a proper look at it all over the weekend, friend has a HTC One I could try it on.

Comment

This is just like the Solid Eye thing Kojima made for Metal Gear Acid, isnt it?

Comment

This Cardboard VR is a great idea. Now you can look like a tw*t while Google tracks you.

Comment

Couple of the kits are on ebay at high prices. Checked XDA Developers to see if anyone has it working on more devices etc and doesn't seem much interest in it so far over there.

Comment

?30 for this, plus ?13 posted? A fool and his money...

Comment

That isn't one of the best examples no, think a six year old was in charge of the scissors on that build.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that anyone taking a pair of scissors to corrugated card can expect as equally messy results.

I'd totally be making some, but I don't have an android device in my house.

Comment

The more upmarket plastic version by Samsung. Alledgedly.

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

PS. People are selling the Cardboard ones on ebay for twelve quid now

Last edited by VR46; 09-07-2014, 12:04.

Comment

Working...
                        X