WiiU Scene - first hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiiU Scene - first hack

Oh ffs. This ruined MKWii online. Ruined it I tell thee.

Comment

Nintendo should be able to patch it out though ... If not then bye MK8!!

Comment

What's it actually doing?

Comment

It's on-the-fly RAM editing, running on an outdated firmware: the video shows custom names and fonts. The hack won't run on the current firmware.

Comment

Yeah was reading about it yesterday only works in an older firmware, so i doubt you can take it on-line, doesn't Nintendo make you update firmware to keep on-line functionality, its not great but changing the odd bit of text and messing with the music is hardly game breaking.

Comment

Calm down, they're not actually releasing the MK8 hack.

It's a browser exploit, thus only user mode. This severely limited its usefulness as it can only actually access what the exploited application in question can access - in this case, the web browser. Things will only become interesting when a kernel mode exploit is released - we might see homebrew and region free then.

The exploit was patched out of the latest firmware, but not intentionally - the quick start mode added in the latest firmware changed a load of the memory values in the browser which the hackers now have to refind. They may do this, or they see this as simply a proof-of-concept and continue looking for a kernel mode hack.

Comment

I am calm Jake I don't care about MK8 online that much.

Nintendo must have set some kind of internal record for the security of their latest consoles. 3DS flashcarts have not been nearly as widespread as the notorious R4, and the Wii U has so far resisted USB ISO loading. Well, except for Wii games, but they're not much of a revenue stream anyway now.

Comment

Originally posted by sj33 View Post
                  Calm down, they're not actually releasing the MK8 hack..
                  Yeah because hacking groups always say that, all then just release it anyway.

If its patched out then it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
                    Yeah because hacking groups always say that, all then just release it anyway.

If its patched out then it doesn't really matter.
                    Nintendo are well know for their game patches.

Comment

They patched Mario Kart 7 so it's not a total no-no.

Comment

Working...
                      X