EA Access Hub app $5 a month $30 a year xbox one exclusive program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA Access Hub app $5 a month $30 a year xbox one exclusive program

bit of info floating about, and it seems if your on the xbox dash preview you can try it out now for free (I just got an email inviting me to try it as part of an early preview thing) its an xbox exclusive at the moment and for $5 a month you get games, demos and discounts on EA stuff it seems that when it launches it will have the following:

• Access to The Vault, a collection of EA’s best games ready for you to download and play. Madden NFL 25, FIFA 14, Peggle 2 and Battlefield 4, with more to be added soon.
    • Play upcoming EA titles five days before the release date through exclusive trials.
    • Enjoy discounts on EA titles and DLC.

So what are your thoughts if the games change regularly then its gonna be pretty good value but do EA have the catalogue to make it as good value as PlayStation+ or games for gold and dose this mean that EA are now out of the running for its games to appear on the two rival services. I guess this is why the prices popped up on the demo's as these will no doubt be an exclusive perk of EA access now

http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/faq.html more details here (sorry for the $ pricing its the only price that has been announced)

Anyone who's in the Xbox preview program should have been emailed a code for this beta of this last night/today. I've got a code so I'll check it out later tonight. Seems incredible value when you consider the games are only 6 months old.

The UK prices are:

?3.99 per month
    or
    ?19.99 for a year

Comment

You lost me at "EA". This is a bad thing and here is why (and it's nothing really to do with EA): if publishers start offering their own subscription services like this, it is going to greatly affect support for things like PS+ and Gold. It splinters everything. The subscription model is working really well for a lot of people but it has a limit because it is such an easy cost to measure. Overspending? Cut out some subscriptions and you have a beautifully clear figure of what you'll save a year. Eventually a household has too many subscriptions and will drop some and will not take out new ones. So this isn't going to work for everyone.

Better that there are a few services like PS+ that a lot of publishers are on board with rather than many services all with different games.

And demos should always be free.

Comment

Yes, agreed Dogg. Activision and Ubi will be watching closely to see how this does, and will doubtless launch their own rival versions if the launch is a success. PS+ and GwG will be left with sod all, which would be a real shame.

However if Atlus did one, I would subscribe to that. Haha.

EDIT: Another thought I just had - I think the Bone's small library will hurt this at launch. Of those launch games, anyone interested in them who already owns the system will have bought them. You can pretty much guarantee it.

For anyone on the cusp of buying one, it represents very good value if you would have bought FIFA and BF anyway.
        Last edited by wakka; 30-07-2014, 13:21.

Comment

Price is ?3.99 per month. ?19.99 a year.
          Kron beat me to it!

Had around 50 people on my friends list who have subscribed for a year.
          Reckon ubisoft will be next.
          Last edited by Family Fry; 30-07-2014, 13:19.

Comment

I'm surprised so many have instantly signed up for a year. Right now there is Battlefield 4 which most bought at launch, Peggle 2 which was cheap a few months back anyway. Plants V Zombies which was absolute bargain price last month and FIFA which tonnes of people got for free at launch.

Oh and Madden.

Those are the current vault offerings. Where is the value exactly? I'm also curious as to whether the newer vault offerings like FIFA15 will arrive in this hub day/date with the launch date? Of course it won't. I also note they'll swap out vault titles as it evolves so it's not like your buying a subscription to always have access to them.

Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Comment

Seems Sony are determined to squash this idea, having outlawed it from PSN, no doubt for reasons Dogg Thang outlined.

Comment

I have to admire the Sony spokesman though about a PS4 version.

“We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect,” a Sony representative told us via email. “PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer.”

Comment

That's one thing I wouldn't want from a platform holder, They should be looking at the interests of the users and give them more options. Not make a closed system with a policy that's akin to a nanny state.

How is it going to effect PS+ on PS4 when Sony are currently self limiting it to certain indies anyway? The comment about plus memberships rising is very crass when their system now relies on a PS+ subscription being in place for the online side to function.

That PR release absolutely stinks of the arrogant Sony we got in the PS3 days. Not a good sign imho.
                  Last edited by Kron; 30-07-2014, 13:45.

Comment

Was going to post the same thing reported over on Eurogamer, comments on there are always good for a chuckle too.

The newly-announced EA Access pass won't be available on PlayStation 4 because the scheme isn't "good value", Sony has …

All this has reminded me that I'm sure the August PS+ titles should be announced today. First month ever they've not been leaked too.
                    Last edited by VR46; 30-07-2014, 13:51.

Comment

That comment will come back and bite them in the ass when they decide that they don't want to the left behind by it.

I suspect this is a Microsoft invite, they are handling the payments and the hub you download actually works system wide. If you go to the regular marketplace, it recognises that a title is in "the vault" and prevents you from purchasing it if you have the relevant sub.

The digital only future marches ever on, and is perhaps even worse than it would have been if DRM-gate had of happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Kron View Post
                        That PR release absolutely stinks of the arrogant Sony we got in the PS3 days. Not a good sign imho.
                        Whoever has put that statement out has probably been sacked, they didn't need to respond at all, especially with so little commentary on the overall subject so early on.

"PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200 per cent since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price."

TRANSLATION : PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200 per cent since the launch of PlayStation 4 as we put multiplayer behind a paywall.

Comment

Hard to argue against this post on the Euro PSN blog really re the EA PS4 PSN sale announced today

"Total price of BF4, Madden and NFS is 105 euro, which is around 140$. At the same time Xbox One got EA access, with a library of their games for only 5$. Yeah, the value doesn’t really add up. With the amazing value EA offers you could subscribe for well over 2 years and get a mass of games instead of this “sale."

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
                            Hard to argue against this post on the Euro PSN blog really re the EA PS4 PSN sale announced today
                            Also I reckon NFS rivals is a contender for the vault i would happily put down 4 quid on EA Accesses to play it for a month, that's all I tend to get out of NFS games before my attention wavers. wouldnt subscribe all the time but happy to give a few quid to rent a game for a month if it interests me (the current offerings don't).

Comment

I'm no lover of the fact that EA's initiative brings us that bit closer to a digital-only future, but Sony have clearly **** the bed by reacting so territorially over this.
                              Last edited by Golgo; 30-07-2014, 17:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X