No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure the M.2_1 Link Mode is set to Gen 4 rather than auto and RAID is turned off in the advance settings. It's either not going to be seated properly or a setting in there.

Comment

Ill try that tomorrow in the settings. I definitely thought it was seated correctly unless there’s a secondary click to the first slot that there isn’t to the second, I’m not pressing it in too hard as i can be a bit heavy handed and will most definitely snap something.

Comment

No, they need to be inserted into the slots at about 45 degrees tho, then fastened down, so that the connections are seated properly, it can be easy not to seat them properly in the slots.

Comment

Sorted, formatted it on the PS5 to check it was working all ok, soon as i put it in the mobo just now it was detected first boot, it must have been a literal blank drive, windows already on it.

Comment

Formatting wouldn't make any difference to it being detected in the BIOS, sounds like it wasn't seated properly to me.

Comment

Well had a blue screen already where the ssd suddenly disconnected for no reason. Reset the system and it’s back again, very odd.

Comment

Did you get an error code? Ram is a frequent cause of bluescreens as well.
                Try running "windows memory diagnostic tool" Search for it in the start bar.

Also did you check the SSD and ram against your motherboard manufacturers compatibility lists?

Comment

[MENTION=2561]fishbowlhead[/MENTION]

Make the boot USB detailed here and leave it running overnight:

I do this whenever I buy or add ram to a PC. My Corsair memory was faulty on arrival for example even though it got through 3 runs with no errors this test kit showed it was flawed eventually.

I'm not saying it IS your RAM but nice to be sure.

Comment

It blue screened and went straight back to bios and the ssd had disappeared so was an obvious one, no error code at all.

No, didn’t check the compatibility lists at all to be honest, I’ll have to do that just to make sure.

-Asus TUF B550M-Plus
                    -Corsair vengance rgb pro 16gig
                    -Corsair MP600 1tb m.2 PCIe Gen4

All pretty standard so I wouldn’t of thought compatibility is an issue to be honest?
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 21-03-2022, 18:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      [MENTION=2561]fishbowlhead[/MENTION]

Make the boot USB detailed here and leave it running overnight:

I do this whenever I buy or add ram to a PC. My Corsair memory was faulty on arrival for example even though it got through 3 runs with no errors this test kit showed it was flawed eventually.

I'm not saying it IS your RAM but nice to be sure.
                      Cheers ill do that. I have had faulty ram in the past which obviously causes all sorts of random issues. Ill do that once the fans power splitter turns up as it turns out the icue control unit doesn’t supply power to them, you still need separate power to them to actually make them spin, doh, definitely wouldn’t leave it running without case fans actually working for obvious reasons.
                      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 21-03-2022, 18:40.

Comment

You could try running it with a single stick - you've listed 16GB of RAM, you got a 2x8GB kit right like the one you linked? With just the one DIMM you're running single-channel and taking a lot of performance off the table. Also, what slots do you have the RAM installed in? With two DIMMs it should be slots 1 and slot 3 (slot 1 being nearest to the CPU).

If you run one stick at a time you might be able to eliminate RAM as the issue. Run a single stick in slot 1. Also, in the BIOS do you have the XMP profile turned on or off? If it's on, turn it off and run the RAM tests.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 21-03-2022, 19:30.

Comment

Had another crash where the ssd disconnected and it went back to bios, very odd. I've taken the second ram stick out and just running 1 in port 1 for now see how that goes, i really don't see how ram would disconnect the ssd though, i thought bad ram just caused random crashes is what I've experienced in the past.

I looked for the xmp settings but i take it thats listed under [ai overclock tuner] its currently set to auto with no option for XMP.

Edit. Ran the windows memory checker at least and it didn’t return a result in event viewer which I thought was odd.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 22-03-2022, 18:34.

Comment

Do you have another SSD to test with? If the disc is not properly recognised by the BIOS and disconnects during use, I'd say there's a good chance it's faulty. Can you get SMART data out of it?

Comment

Windows memory checker is next to useless. It can’t check the ram you’re currently using for a start. You need to make that USB stick that I posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                Windows memory checker is next to useless. It can’t check the ram you’re currently using for a start. You need to make that USB stick that I posted.
                                Tried a few times last night it wouldn’t boot to the usb stick for some reason, I don’t think the image process is working correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X