No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Store being hinky is the only thing saving me money!

Comment

Tech videos for Counterstrike 2 are popping up all over, seems to be a full on replacement for CSGO bringing it into the source 2 engine, not far off what happened to Overwatch 1 to 2. Probably not played Counterstrike since MW2, swapping kb/mouse for a joypad, so i can't see myself going back to twitch shooting, and i can't say i'm at all impressed by the general player animation, looks just as stiff as it use to until rag doll deaths take over.

Comment

It's nice that Valve is finally making the moves toward needing a new IP because they refuse to make something with a 3 in the title. Interesting vids but like Overwatch 2 this feels less like a new game and more like a nice update for those still playing the original. It looks a lot better overall visually than CS1 but at the same time still somewhat dated, Source 2 having been around a bit too long and too underused at this point. Do not like the smoke effect at all though

Comment

There's also something you can do right now to possibly help protect your graphics card from a similar fate.

Diablo IV Beta risks killing your RTX3080ti

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            https://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-4-rtx-3080-ti-issue/
            Diablo IV Beta risks killing your RTX3080ti
            The waiting times to get in is killing my patience

Comment

And after waiting twice for over 3 hours i have had two crashes with error saying run out of memory, first time i had quite a few programs running second time i had none.....so uninstalling now and going to play Wolcen

Comment

Steam will stop supporting Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 the 1st of January 2024.

Comment

So what happens for those that don't upgrade for what ever reason. I would say just play offline but that doesnt help if the games have Denuvo installed.

Comment

They get nasty viruses and malware because Microsoft doesn't support the OSes, so why would anyone else? Don't blame Valve for doing this at all; it doesn't mean it won't work, it just means they won't test on it and won't provide support for it if someone has problems with it.

No one should be running these OSes when Microsoft stopped providing security updates for them. Support for Windows 8 stopped on January 12 2016 and Windows 7 on January 14 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      it doesn't mean it won't work, it just means they won't test on it and won't provide support for it if someone has problems with it.
                      The Steam client will no longer wok on those operating systems, Valve clearly states that. I'm a bit concerned on the client basically turning into a fork from Chrome, not exactly the most resource-friendly application to continuously keep in background.

Comment

I'd be 99% sure it'll still run on those platforms regardless of what they're claiming, using Chromium hacks - but they're right about shifting support away from unsupported OSes. The Steam client is already mostly just a glorified web browser.

It is probably down to Chrome 110 dropping support for Windows 7/8 more than Valve itself, so will need a hack of some kind. As I said before though, you should not be running these OSes with an internet-connected machine anymore anyway, these are a massive vector for security problems.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 29-03-2023, 12:35.

Comment

This is the land of PC gaming. Within weeks of a potential stopper, someone will have a hack or workaround.

Comment

For those of you that collect the Prime Gaming games, this is what will be coming in April 2023

April 6
                            Wolfenstein: The New Order
                            Ninja Commando
                            Art of Fighting 3

April 13
                            The Beast Inside
                            Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
                            Crossed Swords
                            Ghost Pilots

April 20
                            Beholder 2
                            Terraformers
                            Metal Slug 4
                            Ninja Masters

April 27
                            Looking for Aliens
                            Grime
                            Sengoku
                            Magician Lord

Comment

From the sound of it TLoU Part 1 on PC is a mess. What I gather it's heavily multi treaded, which would normally be a good things (Too many pc games under use the CPU), but this seems to be having problems letting go of the threads, leading to run away usage and huge slowdown. Most Sony pc ports have actually been pretty good, so this is surprising.

Seems like PC and Console have swapped places over the last 10 years. It used to be games were made on PC and shoehorned into consoles (like half life) but now it's the other way round.

Comment

Sony keeps using different assist studios with each title so it seems like a lucky dip of experience everytime

Comment

Working...
                                X