No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm against launchers in the first place, I'd like Steam to offer the same option as GoG where you simply download an installer and the launcher (GoG Galaxy) is completely optional.

Comment

Yes, although I suppose you at least have that option on PC, through GOG and Humble.

I did buy Return to Castle Wolfenstein from GOG yesterday in their Halloween sale. Even though it's on my Steam wishlist I wanted to support GOG titles.

Also the new Galaxy 2.0 is awesome (I'm in the beta). The new UI is absolutely gorgeous but what I really like is the tracking of all the different platforms (including Live and PSN), whether it be friends activities, achievements or time played. It is really cool and I have it set to autostart with the PC atm. I also like that for any game you start it completely bypasses the game's launcher and takes you straight to the game in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
        Also the new Galaxy 2.0 is awesome (I'm in the beta). The new UI is absolutely gorgeous but what I really like is the tracking of all the different platforms (including Live and PSN), whether it be friends activities, achievements or time played. It is really cool and I have it set to autostart with the PC atm. I also like that for any game you start it completely bypasses the game's launcher and takes you straight to the game in question.
        I forgot all about that! I just checked my inbox and I received an invite back in August. Seems a lot better than the old client from my brief look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          Anyone playing Disco Elysium? It's the first PC game in a long time that's really got my attention (from strong reviews, short clips and screenshots etc), and with there being no Mac or console options yet I'm left out in the cold. Would be interested to see a first play if anyone's taken the plunge!
          In an interview to Escapist Magazine, the developer confirmed console ports for 2020.

Comment

Valve are selling off the remaining stock and have confirmed that the Steam Controller is dead.

Comment

Is the controller actually any good? Anyone use one?

Comment

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] I've got one. I purchased a few years ago from GAME. It's certainly a 'marmite' device. A few people love it because supposedly it's more accurate than other joypads, in that it can use mouse controls, but I never found it as intuitive as the dual analog stick design the console controllers use.

I think it's better at certain genres. I used it to play through Dear Esther and Firewatch . It was well suited for that slower style of walking simulator. Nicer that having to push forward on Analog sticks. But I wasn't as accurate when playing Assault Android Cactus.

Build quality is nice though, the haptic feedback works well, the paddles on the back are great (although more plastic that bends in, albeit sturdy) and you get a an extension and mini dock for the USB wireless receiver which is a nice touch. Also has this odd loading mechanism where each AA battery goes in the side grip of the controller. Worth trying for sure if you manage to get one for cheap. As mentioned although I think they are in the minority it does have some fans. Obviously paired with the outstanding Steam Joypad configuration there is no end to how you can set the thing up.

Comment

Worth trying for sure if you manage to get one for cheap. .
                  Thanks for the impressions. Yes, this is why I was asking - they are going for next to nothing now. So I was curious to see if it was worth trying. Sounds like it might be for some games.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Thanks for the impressions. Yes, this is why I was asking - they are going for next to nothing now. So I was curious to see if it was worth trying. Sounds like it might be for some games.
                    No probs. As mentioned I've seen a few people wax lyrical about them, at how they are so much more precise than other controllers. But there is the risk you hate it of course.

I think unfortunately the £4 deal on Steam seems to be over, in that they currently show as out of stock for me.

Comment

I think unfortunately the £4 deal on Steam seems to be over, in that they currently show as out of stock for me.
                      Ah, you're right. I missed that. No worries.

Comment

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] - Steam controller back up for sale; so £4 but £11.40 with postage I believe.

EDIT - Sorry gone already. Had a mate on Discord msg me about it.

Comment

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION], I always thought the Steam controllers were useless. Just a bad idea. Fascinating technology (the haptic feedback really is quite clever) but that alone didn't make it a useful device.

I echo what is said above; if you ever see a cheap one, give it a go just for the novelty... But don't spend much on one.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah I was only going to consider it due to this sale.

Comment

I had one briefly and I think its main use seemed to be that it made playing some older PC games that didn't support traditional controllers easier to play if you weren't keen on KB&M. Otherwise it was definitely inferior to using a DS4 or XBO pad.

Comment

Silly thing but I do love the fact you can customise the shutdown sound on the controller. I changed my to the little 'Aperture Science' tune.

Comment

Working...
                                X