Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol

Comment

I don't know why they pick the games they do for these comparisons but they need to think harder. The cards look fine but the footage for performance and ray tracing have sucked hard.

Comment

It's 4K at up to 200FPS with ray-tracing.

That's something like an 80-90% leap over the 2080 Ti.

They probably couldn't have picked a more optimised engine to show off such a disgusting leap in power.

Remember that bit out of Pumping Iron where Arnold is telling both Lou Ferrigno and his dad that they weren't ready to compete? That's what Nvidia are doing with AMD right now.

Comment

I speculated on it when I saw how much RAM the 3090 had via leaks but Nvidia themselves said it would be able to offer 8K to some degree, which makes sense. This DirectStorage API looks interesting, would like to see how it affects performance.

Comment

It probably won't for current gen stuff, I don't think. We'll have to wait for new games to come along that are built around it. That's the exciting part.

That, and I'll need a new MoBo with a PCIe4 port. May as well go for the Ryzen switch-over at the same time, so got that sketched in for this time next year.

Luckily I've already convinced my wife that the Tensor Cores will help me work faster... Just like IPS was an "Eye Protection System".

Comment

It's statistically impressive but say for Doom, it's not a game known to be poor on scalability in the first place. That and the video basically shows two identical versions next to one another. What they're missing is the old 'can it run Crysis' moment with these because it was something everyone knew was a git to run and anything that powered it well was clearly a must have beast. It can't be long, given the release dates, till DF gets to test them properly hopefully and see where they actually rest especially with ray tracing properly positioned because it's focused on way too much just like HDR a year or two ago

Comment

Nabbed from Era

RTX 3080 with maximum settings running on an i7 10900K at 5.0Ghz

Forza Horizon 4 - 4K at 150FPS (+48% 2080S)
                Far Cry 5 - 4K at 100FPS (+62% 2080S)
                Borderlands 3 - 4K at 61FPS (+56% 2080S)
                Assassin's Creed Odyssey: 4K at 67FPS (+48% 2080S)
                Horizon Zero Dawn: 4K at 76FPS

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:
                RTX with DLSS OFF - 84FPS at Native 4K
                RTX with DLSS ON - 100FPS at 4K

Control:
                RTX with DLSS OFF - 50-60FPS at Native 4K
                RTX with DLSS ON - 100FPS at 4K

Death Stranding:
                DLSS OFF - 100FPS at Native 4K
                DLSS ON - 160-170FPS at 4K

Comment

Those numbers look like there's finally a card that will provide 4K60 at max settings consistantly - certainly tempted to maximise the framerate on the Index.

I see that CeX has very slightly dropped their prices on the RTX 2080 Ti, though not by very much

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6
                  WeSell for £770.00
                  WeBuy for cash £361.00
                  WeBuy for voucher £513.0

It was previously selling for £850 although if you're paying more than £500 now you're a mug (and that'd have to be one of the top end OC cards too). Still a fab GFX card that might in some areas have better performance than a RTX 3070, but right at the moment I think you'd be mad not to wait to see the reviews unless you chance across a real bargain (I have seen them go for about £400 on eBay recently).

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    It's 4K at up to 200FPS with ray-tracing.

That's something like an 80-90% leap over the 2080 Ti.

They probably couldn't have picked a more optimised engine to show off such a disgusting leap in power.

Remember that bit out of Pumping Iron where Arnold is telling both Lou Ferrigno and his dad that they weren't ready to compete? That's what Nvidia are doing with AMD right now.
                    Who even has monitors that support 200fps? A tiny % of even the hard core pc gamers.

Good for people editing 4k video I guess these new cards, or rendering some serious graphic design.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                      Who even has monitors that support 200fps? A tiny % of even the hard core pc gamers.

Good for people editing 4k video I guess these new cards, or rendering some serious graphic design.
                      I was just highlighting that figure to exhibit the unnecessarily large leap in power over the previous cards. NI couldn't tell the difference with the footage, which is obvious as the new cards won't bring any additional graphical effects to the table, but they will boost performance by 50-80%.

Comment

Just had a window shop for some 240Hz and 360Hz monitors, but they're mostly stuck at 1080p. :/

The prices aren't too bad, mind.

Comment

If the above framerates are correct, how well at native 4K are we expected the 3080 to hold up when eventually it's fed something properly designed as a next-gen game as opposed to a current gen one maxed out? Curious how much mileage into next gen this line will have in real terms or if the 40XX series will be the true baseline (or indeed fairly redundant due to the 30XX chomping things up)

*Though presumably the 3090 might answer some of that question

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                            Just had a window shop for some 240Hz and 360Hz monitors, but they're mostly stuck at 1080p. :/

The prices aren't too bad, mind.
                            That's not really surprising - even the RTX3090 is going to struggle to push 360Hz at 4K given the HDMI 2.1 spec is limited to 120Hz at 4K and 60Hz at 8K

Comment

A bit of mindless digging and I think though my CPU could be newer it'd hold fine enough for what I'd be targetting if I was to get a 3080. The PSU is 100w below the recommended though so not sure how much of an issue that'd be.

Comment

Is it a good quality 650W PSU? If so chances are you'll be absolutely fine if it has a solid 12V feed. If it's a Gamemax or CTI it might be more of an issue; the 750W is just to cover themselves if people end up putting it in a machine with an unbranded smoking 500W supply.

Comment

Working...
                                X