PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    Naturally. If nothing else it's a great benchmarking tool for hardware capable of ray tracing. It was making my system take off at a lowly 60fps. The global illumination on display is something else entirely, and not really able to be pulled off as well on any other hardware out there right now.

Besides, I'd have to wait X number of months to play an inferior version of Cyberpunk if I went with the PS5. That's next, though.
    Whys cyberpunk going to be inferior on PS5?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Whys cyberpunk going to be inferior on PS5?
      £500 AMD Console vs. £2,000 Intel/Nvidia PC.

Performance, lighting, and NPC density will likely be the most polarising differentials. The latter two being crucially important for CP2077.

See here at the 12:20 mark. Even if the game doesn't ship like that, mods will make it so overnight.

Compared with something like this, which you'll be stuck with on console.

I know this isn't the fabled next-gen patch footage, but there's only so much budget ray-tracing can add.

Comment

Remember walking into the room with the big mirror on Super Mario 64 for the first time? It's like that, but everywhere. Back on Quake II just now, I was simply admiring the reflections on a surface when through that I could see doors opening behind me with enemies coming through. It's pretty astonishing how much more immersion real-time lighting adds to a game world. I'm purposely walking up to things just to see the reflections on my gun.

Ah ha, almost right on cue:

Comment

I'm now sitting on a 1950MHz boost at 850mV (+300MHz on the memory, bringing that up to 9800Mhz). I'm getting an extra 5-10FPS out of Quake II RTX with three to four degrees cut from the temps. Most importantly it's also halved the fan RPMs.

Are they shipped the way they are so that people can feel some form of accomplishment out of doing this kind of stuff?

Comment

I used to play Quake 2 competitively back in the day - all clanned up for UKCCL DM and CTF leagues, played very little else for a number of years, you get the picture. What's funny to me is that even back then, no-one gave a **** about how it looked, and would regularly turn down everything - "Lego Quake" - to push out more FPS. That it's now some visual benchmark is hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              That it's now some visual benchmark is hilarious!
              It's by far the most demanding tool I can get my hands on. 70-77FPS at 1440p. The 4K Superposition benchmark gives me 110fps average, for a comparison.

Comment

Minecraft RTX can also get your new 3080 a good workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
                  Minecraft RTX can also get your new 3080 a good workout.
                  I tried to get in on it but I need to own the Win10 version. I've already got the Java version, so sod buying it twice.

I do believe it looks very, very pretty though!

Comment

Yeah. I got the Win 10 version ages ago when they gave it to you if you already had the Java.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
                      Yeah. I got the Win 10 version ages ago when they gave it to you if you already had the Java.
                      Balls. I missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        Balls. I missed that.
                        Same. Very annoyed at myself as wanted to try it in vr but yeah, I’m not buying it again.

Comment

2000MHz boost at 875mV. +500MHz on the memory, now making that 10,000MHz with a bandwidth of 800.0GB/s.

I like rounded numbers, so just a bit gutted I don't get quite the same stability at 850mV. Still, I can leave it as is now and look forward to Cyberpunk.

Still need to decide on either a DualSense or a Series pad.

Comment

Any idea when the new GPUs will actually be available to buy? WhyTF do they never ever make enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Any idea when the new GPUs will actually be available to buy? WhyTF do they never ever make enough?
                              To keep the prices high silly.
                              Can’t have everybody getting what they want.

Comment

Getting there ...

Just need the RTX 3080 and Ryzen 7 5800X (or possible Ryzen 9 5900X) and the new rig will be complete.

It really is nice building in these quality cases, it's well worth not cheaping out in this area (along with PSU). You can cable manage a hell of a lot easier (Fractal Design R6).

Currently running with a Ryzen 7 3700X with the stock cooler which is ARGB and I'm going to be using my GTX1080 for the time being. Tested on the bench before putting it in the case and it's all running up fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X