No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure there's going to be much of a scalping margin for these cards given the target market for them - after fees I think you're looking at £30-50 tops given the RX 6600 is around the £400 mark. Completely pointless for crypto mining too.

Comment

What's a decent mobo to combine with this case? its the re-designed one that doesn't catch fire , id certainly like something smaller these days.

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.
      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 24-01-2022, 12:12.

Comment

An ITX motherboard - you're really limiting your choices with ITX and losing features because of the form factor. Most will limit you to 1 PCIe slot and 2 RAM modules. Also likely to be less M.2 slots and SATA ports. Probably not worth going for the highend boards because of this, but you'll still be paying a premium on something like a ASUS B550 ROG STRIX ITX if you're going Ryzen.

Need good airflow in those cases too - limits your choice of tower coolers. They look nice, but can be a bit of a nightmare to work on.

Comment

Nvidia raises the price of the 30XX FE line in Europe

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            An ITX motherboard - you're really limiting your choices with ITX and losing features because of the form factor. Most will limit you to 1 PCIe slot and 2 RAM modules. Also likely to be less M.2 slots and SATA ports. Probably not worth going for the highend boards because of this, but you'll still be paying a premium on something like a ASUS B550 ROG STRIX ITX if you're going Ryzen.

Need good airflow in those cases too - limits your choice of tower coolers. They look nice, but can be a bit of a nightmare to work on.
            Ok thanks for the info, always worth asking before doing. Don’t think its worth the sacrifice long term then especially with airflow and cooling, or the agro involved in getting it all 100%.

The graphics card situation is completely out of hand.
            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 24-01-2022, 14:15.

Comment

There are nice mATX cases that aren't massive, but will mean you get a couple more PCIe slots and 4 DIMMs with the micro ATX form factor mobos and there are far more options.

Such as the Corsair Crystal 280

The Corsair iCUE 220T which I've done a build in, depends if you like the front of it

The Fractal Design Meshify C

ITX is great if you're building a lower power machine but are less suitable for gaming boxes. You can definitely do them, but you do have to make some compromises.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                There are nice mATX cases that aren't massive, but will mean you get a couple more PCIe slots and 4 DIMMs with the micro ATX form factor mobos and there are far more options.

Such as the Corsair Crystal 280
                https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-...f=sr_1_48_sspa

Hmmmm I really like the idea of this case, all the boring stuff in a separate chamber with all the cool stuff in the glass. What would be a good set of components to add to this for a £1k build (roughly).

I like the idea of doing one myself, gpu’s are an issue obviously but i can put my old amd 4gig one in it if needs be until a decent one comes up on its own.

Comment

RTX 3050 on ebay as they're sold out (at least I can't see any in stock anywhere)

Or RTX 3060 in stock for delivery tomorrow, you decide (probs no to both really).

Comment

Genuinely depressing that the 3050 is weaker than a 2060.

Comment

So I decided to go a build myself in the end and ordered the Corsair Crystal 280 as i loved the look of it.

Whats a good motherboard to pair with this thats compatible with Ryzen & the newer intels?

Comment

Do you have any special requirements from the mobo? 10GB network, Thunderbolt, anything?
                        If money is no objection, for Ryzen I'd go for an X570 Auros Xtreme, I'm running one myself and very happy with it.

Comment

I second the X570, although I have an Asus TUFF Gaming + WiFi variant. The twin NVMe slots are useful. Only got a Ryzen 5 3600 in at present but it's not bottlenecking anything when paired with a 6800XT

Comment

Nothing but praise for my B450 Tomahawk, dirt cheap now too.

Not an option if you want dual NVMe or PCIe 4 though.

Comment

Daemon X Machina is free until the 2nd of February on the EGS.

Comment

No special requirements no just has to be pcie4 compatible as ill be keeping the OS and program files on a gen4 ssd, then all the other stuff on a larger standard ssd or a big ol platter drive. As long as i can add to the system going forward that's fine with me, I'm not a programmer or have a need for editing video at breakneck speeds. Obviously graphics cards are a big issue but ill use my old 4gig one until something newer actually comes up for sale.

Was looking at B550 AORUS PRO V2 ATX price range wise, the X570 might be overkill to be honest.
                                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 27-01-2022, 16:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X