No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone who loves Vampire Survivors I strongly recommend Soulstone Survivors, It takes the formula gives it a Torchlight aesthetic and is great fun you can only select 5 skills but the amount they can be upgraded feels like neverending only problem is so much stuff can be on screen the frame rate can tank and is hard to avoid when it gets to the stage.

Only gripe so far are the levels feel like mostly Aesthetic difference only though can get some resources from each one I really hope the expand the items that can be equipped and skill trees

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      Dwarf Fortress finally arriving on Steam on 6th December this year. This is the new version with…. GRAPHICS!

Rumoured to actually tell you how to play it and stuff as well.
      Only problem is i put so many hours into Gnomoria (over 2000) that im not as hyped for Dwarf Fortress. I know Dwarf Fortress has even more depth but Gnomoria had most of what Dwarf Fortress has whilst offering even better graphics than the new graphics of DF but also had an isometric viewpoint and smoother scrolling compared to DF where it seems they move from square to square in 1 or 2 frames. Shame Gnomoria was abandoned.

Comment

Evil Dead: The Game is free on Epic this week, next week is Star Wars Squadrons...

Oh and for the 20th anniversary Splinter Cell is free over on the Ubisoft store.

Comment

If true Nvidia deserves another slap

Comment

To be fair I get around 90FPS with those exact settings on the RT Psycho preset with no DLSS frame gen nor frame drops or instability. But then I’m using a 3080.

Comment

Presumably much of this is the bind they're getting in with these cards.
              Literally nothing has released to tax the 30XX series and whilst DLSS is amazing it is also counter productive to having new graphics cards. The drive for 8K resolution isn't there either so they're making cards for largely the sake of it. If the RTX5080 launches in 2024 it feels like even that will be a hard sell given the software lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                If true Nvidia deserves another slap
                These things are probably not in the drivers for the older cards yet precisely because they're causing instability and frame drops.

The features did trickle down to older gen cards with subsequent driver releases for other features previously, such as DLSS 2.0 for Turing and RTX Voice for Pascal.

There's also plenty to tax the Ampere cards if your goal is high refresh rate 4K.

The cards are still ridiculously priced tho.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                To be fair I get around 90FPS with those exact settings on the RT Psycho preset with no DLSS frame gen nor frame drops or instability. But then I’m using a 3080.
                I don't believe you're doing that without DLSS at 4K with Psycho RT, I can't get that frame rate with a 4080 without DLSS.

On another note, if you were looking at the R9 7950X, there are some black Friday deals at the mo (eBuyer, Scan) discounted to £600 - those chips were definitely not selling well at £780/750.
                Last edited by MartyG; 22-11-2022, 15:06.

Comment

Assetto corsa, f1 22, DCS, pretty much any pc simulator will tax anything AMD or nvidia have ever made. You really want to be supersampling at 150% minimum so that’s really asking for 6K resolution at 90fps. Nothing can actually do that yet, without DLSS or FSR

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    I don't believe you're doing that without DLSS at 4K with Psycho RT, I can't get that frame rate with a 4080 without DLSS.
                    DLSS frame gen? My card doesn't support that.

I run Balanced DLSS at 1440p, and Ultra Performance when I play at 4K during Christmas.

Comment

I haven't tried frame gen yet, don't think that Cyberpunk has been patched yet, at least it wasn't when I looked a couple of days ago.

I'll have to look up which games support it - but yeah, as Brad says, there are plenty of games out there that will still push the cards unless you're running DLSS. As good as that is, it's still a bit of a cheat as they're not really pushing true 4K.

I must give Assetto Corsa Competizione a go.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        A bit of a breakthrough: Through a really good suggestion by someone on RLLMUK I applied an incremental fan profile to my undervolt, and with that managed to shave a whole 10 degrees from my temps. This in turn boosted performance a little bit, giving me a new Superposition high score.

Quake II RTX now hits 80FPS.
                        After almost two years and 1.5 ETH mined I thought I'd give the benchmark another whirl.

Not much has changed. I guess the improvements are from the incremental driver updates.

Comment

Did anyone get an RX 7900 XTX? Seems they were quite limited stock. Not the NVIDIA slayer cards, and if you want RT NVIDIA is still the way to go but raster looked decent. Definitely a good showing with the last gen card present far better frames per pound at the mo.

On a completely different topic, for those who've yet to play a Sid Meier's Game, Humble Bundle have just about all of them in a pack for £20: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/s...lection-encore

Comment

Portal RTX looks quite nice

Comment

Surely that would run at 60fps on consoles with rtx on? I’d go through that again for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                Surely that would run at 60fps on consoles with rtx on? I’d go through that again for sure.
                                Well, Digital Foundry did a video of this. And a 4090 rig was needed to get it with all the bells and whistles.
                                A lower 3060 can run it, but a ps5 at 60? No chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X