Xbox One : Thread 04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please. No. Just no.

"Consoles lock the hardware and the software platforms together at the beginning of the generation. Then you ride the generation out for seven or so years, while other ecosystems are getting better, faster, stronger,"

This is not a negative you chump. That's the REASON people buy consoles. They want to know that their hardware will JUST WORK for 5 years and not need constant upgrades like PCs or fiddling around with GFX settings.

No.

Comment

Think smartphone, not PC.

No settings, no options, just if you have the newer machine with the newer specs the games will run a bit better on it.

Comment

Yep. Makes sense I reckon. Newer games could run better one xbox one mk2 than on ps4 this way.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          Please. No. Just no.

"Consoles lock the hardware and the software platforms together at the beginning of the generation. Then you ride the generation out for seven or so years, while other ecosystems are getting better, faster, stronger,"

This is not a negative you chump. That's the REASON people buy consoles. They want to know that their hardware will JUST WORK for 5 years and not need constant upgrades like PCs or fiddling around with GFX settings.

No.
          Got to agree Charles. The lines are already starting to blur but that's too far.

I nearly pre-ordered a Steambox last year but a video on YouTube put me right off, watching a guy going through option after option, slider after slider, getting game to run in a satisfactory way. I watched that and hugged my PS4. I don't care if the console versions of games look/run inferior to the pc versions. I'm fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Yep. Makes sense I reckon. Newer games could run better one xbox one mk2 than on ps4 this way.
            Yep, it solves that problem. But it also solves the problem of someone else (Apple) deciding to be a new player in the market and shaking it all up by doing exactly this.

Comment

This will annoy 3rd party developers having to make 5 different versions of an Xbox One game. Microsoft need to accept that their console is underpowered. Sony managed to get by with inferior 3rd party ports on PS2 and PS3. It's not as if PS4 versions of games are miles better than Xbox One versions, people would hardly even tell the difference if it wasn't for like likes of Digital Foundry.
              Last edited by MarioMark; 01-03-2016, 19:36.

Comment

It can't be any more annoying that having to make a PC game that support a near infinite array of configurations or making an IOS app that has to work with 60 different IOS versions across 30 different hardware variations.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                  It can't be any more annoying that having to make a PC game that support a near infinite array of configurations or making an IOS app that has to work with 60 different IOS versions across 30 different hardware variations.
                  I understand your point but that's why I stay away from PC and mobile gaming. Incompatibility issues, low frame rates, more patches etc

Comment

It comes back to the one of the same things that has pretty much ensured that the most successful console this gen is the most traditional one, the idea of iterative hardware for consoles is pretty much incompatible with them. If Microsoft has any inklings that a mobile-esque marketing approach is for them I wish them well, they took an utter battering the last time they tried to get creative with the home console model and I'm doubtful the Xbox brand would survive another brush with such ideas.

An Xbox 4 that uses the Windows platform to make all previous gens releases compatible from launch however, that makes sense.

Comment

Well I just watched the Forza 6 Apex trailer in 4k resolution on the youtube app on my TV and it looks absolutely stunning in 4k. If this new hardware upgrade brings 4k console gaming on to the scene then I suppose it's one plus.

I'm on the fence with this, but if it's done correctly, like a simple 4k add on adaptor that basically throws more ram and processing power into your Xbox One then it 'could' work. Market it simple, if you want 4k then buy this, but if you don't then that's fine. It kind of worked with the N64 expansion pak.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                        Well I just watched the Forza 6 Apex trailer in 4k resolution on the youtube app on my TV and it looks absolutely stunning in 4k. If this new hardware upgrade brings 4k console gaming on to the scene then I suppose it's one plus.

I'm on the fence with this, but if it's done correctly, like a simple 4k add on adaptor that basically throws more ram and processing power into your Xbox One then it 'could' work. Market it simple, if you want 4k then buy this, but if you don't then that's fine. It kind of worked with the N64 expansion pak.
                        That simple adapter would need to be a new CPU/GPU and ram. That's called a whole new machine, which is what the upgrades will be

Comment

I'm going off topic a little but I've also just watched Gears of War Ultimate and Star Wars Battlefront in 4k and it kind of makes you think that these next gen systems came out 2 years too early. They look amazing in 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            Please. No. Just no.

No.
                            Developers will just end up targetting the better specs, obsolescence by software. I can't see this as a good thing for console owners unless upgrading is super cheap.

Comment

If you have to fork out ?350 every 2 years to stay up to speed, you may as well get a PC because it will be cheaper (cheaper parts, cheaper games).

Comment

And there's the marketing nightmare. One of the reasons mobiles get away with it is because they offer something most of the world considers a necessity with perks and there is the contract option which MS already tested with the 360 and it didn't pan out for them. I appreciate though that they're kind hearted and committed to seeing Sony do well. Community spirit.

Comment

Working...
                                X