A source of unlimited streetpasses at home using using a raspberry pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A source of unlimited streetpasses at home using using a raspberry pi

The homepass wifi trick has been known about for ages allowing you to collect streetpasses without having to go out looking for them, it seems there is now another way. Using a raspberry pi you can create a plug & play home streetpass relay hub that allows you to get 12 streetpasses every 10 mins according to the site.

While pretty straightforward it still requires some specific bits of hardware to make it work and been able to follow instructions, i was thinking about getting a pi for other stuff but now i shall be getting one to try this out it seems pretty cool.

Website & all info you need is here

In Leeds i barely get any streetpass hits when out in town so this will be a lot more fun, if anyone has a pi they should give it a try the only tricky thing is finding a compatable wifi usb dongle but the site says which ones are ideal. Managed to find the needed one off amazon.

This morning all the parts i needed turned up from Amazon so i have spent the past hour putting it all together & installing the raspberry pi disk image and setting it all up. I was a bit nervous as i have zero experience with using a rasp pi, thankfully though it all booted up & within mins i started getting street passes and loads for the japanese games i own it's awesome.

The green light is going mad, As a bonus any neighbours in the flats that have a 3DS will now be wondering why the hell they are getting streetpasses at home LOOL.

My pi case of choice, it looks faaahbulous, got a led piglow board installed which i plan to configure into the code that will pulse when i get another wave of streetpasses.

All set up and powered on.

Tadaa green light streetpass success.

Comment

I don't have a 3DS, so could you explain what a Streetpass does and what's your end goal from all of them?

Comment

When 2 3DS consoles are closed and in transmit mode & that are near each other they transmit data between each console, the mii you create on your console gets passed on as well as data from the games you play. There are streetpass games that use these mii's that are collected from other peoples consoles. Depending on the games that use the data they can also give extra exclusive stuff from streetpassing.

The problem is finding someone who has a 3DS and that has it powered on & in transmit mode. In Leeds you don't find many, however Nintendo started making wifi hotspots like the ones in Starbucks & Mcdonalds into relay stations where if you pass one with your 3DS it picks up the data like it would if you passed a 3DS console.

What my home relay does is bypass the official relays & makes the one i made at home transmit the Nintendo server data like it's a real one but with the added bonus of every 10 mins changing the address so it becomes a new relay meaning i pick up crazy amounts of streetpasses. As normally you can only streetpass a relay once every 8 hours. Saves me wandering around town in the vain hope of getting streetpass hits, i used to only get a few a day if i was lucky but now i get them every 10 mins at home hehe.
        Last edited by importaku; 04-10-2014, 14:32.

Comment

I've wasted weekends at events just streetpassing.

Comment

Would really like to try this.
            I live out in the sticks really so getting any street pass only happens rarely.

Sounds a bit complicated for me though. Is it expensive to get the necessary stuff importaku?

Comment

If you follow the instructions & have the correct parts it's not as hard as i thought, you need a router with a spare port to plug the lan cable from the rasp pi into.

The most 2 expensive things are the dongle & the raspberry pi. That came to ?41 for both then you need a 8 gig sd card & a power supply but those are pretty cheap. Other stuff like a usb keyboard, a lan & a hdmi cable you might have laying around already, i didn't have a lot of the stuff laying around so i had to buy it all meaning it cost me a lot more. Here's the exact links to the stuff i used.

Raspberry pi B model revision 2 (it's vital you get the correct version, most places are sold out but amazon still has some)

USB wifi dongle, this is the exact model that's recommended in the guide, it needs a certain chipset & this dongle has it.

8 gig class 10 SD card, not essential as you can use your own but it needs to be compatable with the pi, this one is confirmed to work.

Raspberry pi power supply

Rest of the bits can be bought from wherever you like, stuff like the enclosure case for the rasp pi board, hdmi cables ect..

all the programs you need and the pi disk image can be found on the spillpass website link in my first post. Use the SD card program to format your SD card, then use the writer program to write the pi disk image to your SD card & plug it in to the rasp pi. Then attach the lan cable to a spare port your router and the other end into the lan socket on the pi then plug in the wifi dongle and power supply then power it on. You can use the HDMI cable to see if it's booting up ok but not essential like the site says.

It should then go through the motions & boot the program, within 10 mins you'll see the light blinking on the USB wifi dongle and shortly after you'll get a green light on your 3DS showing you have streetpass data waiting. And thats pretty much it, the pi while powered will keep cycling the relay addresses sending out streetpass data every 10 mins or so.
              Last edited by importaku; 04-10-2014, 15:12.

Comment

I guess I can understand why people would want to do this, though it isn't for me. I find all the excitement in StreetPasses is actually getting the StreetPass - the games are just something of a bonus. Like I wouldn't want to play them if I didn't have actual passes.

Comment

That's understandable, for some people the thrill is indeed going out with your 3DS and hoping you get a pass. The problem comes when you get so few hits that the features become almost worthless, i have had a 3DS since Japanese launch and i have barely got any of the puzzles completed or even to the end of the tower in the streetpass quest game because i got so few passes when out, even with Nintendo making the new relay system i still don't get many hits the normal way.

Wasting game coins to get pieces of the puzzles or hiring cats to battle is tedious, i'd rather save my game coins for the games that use them fully. If Nintendo ever change the relay system & my pi stops picking them up then all is not lost i can still use my pi for other projects, it's a nifty little thing to have.

Comment

I like the Flower Garden the most myself, I'm quite happy spending my play coins on visitors so I can grow new rare flowers.

Comment

You poor buggers in the UK have got to build a Pi set up. My son took his 3DS with us on holiday this summer. In the 4 hour drive go the destination he had picked up 30 odd passes and that's while in a car passing other cars. By the end of the return journey he'd collected over 100 new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        You poor buggers in the UK have got to build a Pi set up. My son took his 3DS with us on holiday this summer. In the 4 hour drive go the destination he had picked up 30 odd passes and that's while in a car passing other cars. By the end of the return journey he'd collected over 100 new passes.
                        Situation in the UK (London in my experience, at least) is way better than in Switzerland or Italy, combining both countries I've got a wopping 2 passes ever since the 3DS was officially released there.

Comment

Lol stop rubbing it in i imagine you could go to the most remote spot in Japan, pull out a 3DS and still get a crazy amount of streetpasses lol.

Middle of a forest (ping) streetpass
                          Top of Mt Fuji (ping) streetpass
                          10 miles out to sea on a remote island (ping) streetpass lol

Although thanks to wonder relay i have picked up nearly nearly 240 mii streetpasses today so far and lots of streetpasses for games that i own. Youkai watch 2 keeps getting maxed out easily along with darumeshi sports ten & project mirai 2
                          Last edited by importaku; 05-10-2014, 18:10.

Comment

LOOOL just discovered the function of completing the streetpass puzzle pics, i had no idea that they turned into 3D explorable pics when completed. Never noticed the slideshow option appear in the menu, that's how frequent i used to get them before lol. Now that i have seen how cool the pics are in 3D it's spurred me on to get them all. Just 1000+ puzzle pieces to go.

Comment

Seriously? You didn't realise that? The 3DS has been out over 3 years dude...
                              Next you'll be telling us you didn't know you can collect hats for your Mii from Streetpass adventure (w/e it's called), and that if you have any of the DLC games you can get tickets to collect even hats.

Comment

Working...
                              X