50 hurts apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
      50 hurts apparently.
      Borders-up then?

Comment

50hz OoT? Seriously, Nintendo?

Comment

And they still have the cheek to as ?8.49 for a sub-par version of OoT. Is it that difficult to add the full 60hz version?

Comment

Really thought they stopped using 50hz versions about two years back.

Comment

Did [MENTION=15998]Pikate[/MENTION] write this?

With the announcement of the Wii U, everyone thought Nintendo was wrong. Hell, we thought Nintendo was out of touch, foolish and doomed for producing a gaming-focused, two-screen console that wouldn't be able to compete technologically with whatever Sony and Microsoft offered in the new generation. The most vocal players wanted better graphics, bigger games and more online experiences. The Wii U offered sub-standard graphics, convoluted online policies and a lineup of classic franchises that, in theory, could eventually show up on the console. By its launch in November 2012, the Wii U was a joke and its sales suffered.But then: Sony launched the PlayStation 4; Microsoft launched the Xbox One; and as hype for each rose and fizzled out, the Wii U began to look more promising. It had been out for a year longer, meaning it had more games. It offered local cooperative and competitive experiences, something in short supply from the online-focused PS4 and Xbox One. Most importantly, it offered fun -- and today, with a lineup of revamped classics and fresh competitive experiences, the Wii U is the most consistently joyful console of the current generation. As it turns out, Nintendo wasn't wrong. We were.

Comment

Whoever did, they wrote it whilst blindfolded with their fingers in their ears.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  Whoever did, they wrote it whilst blindfolded with their fingers in their ears.
                  Humming the Mario tune....

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Did [MENTION=15998]Pikate[/MENTION] write this?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/17/nintendo-wii-u-love/
                    I read that yesterday and couldn't believe it. Utter gash click bait of the highest order and only published due to the death of Iwata.

Comment

Absolutely. As for the tired line about Nintendo going after the hardcore, ask SNK how that strategy worked for them. What a load of old bollocks. Never mind Iwata, unless it drafts in a real game-changer, RIP Nintendo.

Comment

It's simply a love letter to the WiiU. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Comment

Me neither. I read the whole thing and the only bits that annoyed me were the guy saying he owns a 'custom gaming PC' (I hate that term) and the one who blamed the GC's demise on gamers wanting to shoot people in HD(despite the fact the GC was rather beastly and also played host to a number of FPSes). I'm pretty sure the GC died long before the HD revolution began.

Comment

It does come across a bit poor but it seems to be mostly geared towards a 'people who think Nintendo needs to make a powerhouse traditional console are wrong' argument.

Personally, I think they're wrong. It's like complaining that Phillips releasing a standard Blu-Ray player is unnecessary because its rivals already make them. PS4 has done well thanks to smart marketing and being what the public wants rather than trying to curveball into a lucky dip success scenario. The article massively underestimates the importance of a games console being a games console first and foremost and doing that one task really well. The WiiU doesn't do that because Nintendo made it as hard as they could for third parties to do well on the format (again). The simple fact is that for Nintendo to have long term high level success they need third parties which means:

-High powered, ease of port console
                            -Traditional form controller
                            -Blu-Ray or similar storage method
                            -Robust online infrastructure
                            -Reasonable third party agreements

Without these things they start each gen from a weak position. The article fails to separate the machine from the games and seems to think that the 'Nintendo touch' is reliant on both. Every loved U game from Splatoon, through Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 etc doesn't actually need the Gamepad or WiiU functions, they'd run hardly any different on other hardware so there's still no justification for the WiiU being the third party hardnut it is. The WiiU does have great games, but they're in spite of the hardware they're on not because of it.
                            What would Nintendo have been able to include in the hardware if it hadn't thrown all the money on the controller?

Nintendo's had its chances to stall Sony, to roadblock Microsoft and to reestablish itself as form market leader and has failed at every turn due to pig headedness. It's relationship with third parties has been poor since the days of the Snes or before thanks to their attitude to them and attempts to milk their udders dry. Whoever takes over Nintendo next, I don't feel it should be a games maker who's come up internally. They need a businessman who understands the realities of the market. It might not be a thought that appeals to those who love the bright and fun exterior image Nintendo has but the fact is Nintendo as a company is a 125yr+ old ruthless business corporation and its teeth are now blunt.

Yesterday, I read a rather lengthy article over at Engadget, which has absorbed Joystiq and continues cranking out interesting game-related pieces. This one caught my eye as it was called “Nintendo was right about the Wii U. We were wrong,” and features a trio of writers and editors, Jessica Conditt, [...]

Forbes has written a response piece the Engadgets pretty much saying they're wrong

Comment

Splatoon needs the gamepad. There's no other way to squid-jump on reaction.

Comment

Being well versed in its use helps, and the screen does help with the squid jump but its a bit like players who say a keyboard/mouse is necessary for FPS's. It's got benefits if you use it but it's not a requirement.

Unless Nintendo stick with a second screen controller for NX it's almost certain that Splatoon will have to work around that for a sequel anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X