Resident Evil 4 HD - EVEN MORE HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Evil 4 HD - EVEN MORE HD

Can't remember if it was on here but someone mentioned this guy going to the actual locations and replacing all the textures in the game - i.e. making capcomsuse of these ridiculous hyperbole titles like 'HD Ultimate Edition Alpha Turbo ex' completely laughable.

*Always find it somewhat disgusting when a guy in his spare time challenged with the same ****ing task as an entire dev team produces better results.

More here: http://www.re4hd.com/

Has the fact that the original re4 was made with CRTs in mind got anything to do with this?

Is he remastering the recent HD versions or original?

Comment

the recent Steam version of RE4.

Looks really, really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
        *Always find it somewhat disgusting when a guy in his spare time challenged with the same ****ing task as an entire dev team produces better results.
        To be fair, the team will not be getting paid and like a lot of fan upgrades, the textures are sourced from the internet, which Capcom would not be able to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
          the recent Steam version of RE4.

Looks really, really good.
          No it doesn't. It's just smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Profit View Post
            To be fair, the team will not be getting paid and like a lot of fan upgrades, the textures are sourced from the internet, which Capcom would not be able to do.
            I think you've misread what Kit said?

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
              No it doesn't. It's just smooth.
              Er, yes it does. The left is the HD Ultimate Edition. Right is his own work in his spare time.

Comment

Er, yes it does. The left is the HD Ultimate Edition. Right is his own work in his spare time.
                I think he meant the existing steam version just looks smooth- and not that ultimate.

Comment

Stock textures always look ****. Maybe Crysis has something to do with it.

I'll call it the Crysis effect. Being too afraid to add high resolution textures.

Comment

Indeed I meant the new texture pack, not the steam edition. Though the current Steam edition is nice enough...

Comment

The current Steam edition is typically Capcom. Lazy, minimal effort and dated looking. The new HD textures shown in this thread look lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                        The current Steam edition is typically Capcom. Lazy, minimal effort and dated looking. The new HD textures shown in this thread look lovely.
                        can't disagree with that, though 60fps is nice.

Comment

Although 60fps kinda just arrives almost for free soon as you port something like that to pc. Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
                            can't disagree with that, though 60fps is nice.
                            Yeah it does make the game much better to play and is easier to look at.

So frustrating really. If Capcom were to release a true HD port @60 fps I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Although 60fps kinda just arrives almost for free soon as you port something like that to pc. Probably.
                              Often, but not necessarily. It depends on the original game. It's part of the reason why the HD version of Shadow of the Colossus is 30fps; it has visual optimisations that only work at that framerate. You can force it in emulation, of course, but it fundamentally modifies the experience.

I can see you feel very strongly about this, but it just comes down to economics. Capcom have released RE4 on Steam without the texture pack. How long will it take them to get a team of four or five artists to re-do all the textures, and what are their wages? Then, critically, will the Steam version of RE4 make enough extra money with the HD pack in order to justify the expense?

Capcom obviously think the answer to this is "no", and to be honest, I believe that, much as I'm a person who loves well-made HD remakes.

It's comparatively easy for one person to replace all the textures in a game, when they spend a year doing it bit-by-bit. Plus, as one person, he answers only to himself - he has no sign-off, no translator-conveyed videoconferences with the Tokyo office, no legal issues.

I don't personally feel "cheated" when I see an HD remake without up-rezzed textures, anyway. All I care about is a high resolution, widescreen ratio and a rock-solid framerate (ideally 60fps). I often dislike texture changes as sometimes I feel they get in the way of the game. Take Wind Waker HD; I still think that looks worse than the clean, crisp original game.

Comment

Working...
                              X